Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butcherable vermins?  (Read 3144 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Butcherable vermins?
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:11:00 am »

I've seen some edits by user Coolthulhu from a couple months ago that says vermins are butcherable, specifily creepy crawler;

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Vermin
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Creepy_crawler

Could someone verify that they're actually butcherable, since to my knowledge vermins shouldn't be and are too small to return anything even if they were. And if they are, how it's been done.

Sorry if naming names aren't supposed to be done, but I'm hoping the editor could show how it's done or point where it was, since I've not seen it anywhere else!

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butcherable vermins?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:23:44 pm »

Not that I've ever tried to butcher them but skimming through the raws, I don't see why they wouldn't be. Firstly, most vermin have the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] tag, but Creepy crawlers don't. Secondly, they have a size of 1,000, compared to a hamster's 150, a cave spider at 50, and a rat at 300. Since both adult rabbits (500) and cavy (800) are smaller than a creepy crawler is, and those can be butchered, I don't see any problem there.
It's just unusual to see a butcherable creature that can spawn randomly, rather than having to be bred.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Butcherable vermins?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »

Not that I've ever tried to butcher them but skimming through the raws, I don't see why they wouldn't be. Firstly, most vermin have the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] tag, but Creepy crawlers don't. Secondly, they have a size of 1,000, compared to a hamster's 150, a cave spider at 50, and a rat at 300. Since both adult rabbits (500) and cavy (800) are smaller than a creepy crawler is, and those can be butchered, I don't see any problem there.
It's just unusual to see a butcherable creature that can spawn randomly, rather than having to be bred.

Those animals are butcherable, yes, but they only returns skulls, rabbits and cavy are too small to return meat. Plus they're not vermins ( cave spider's NOT_BUTCHERABLE and a vermin ). Guineafowl seem to be bigger (1,500 ), but still provides no returns either noted on wiki, so that struck me as odd.