Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to make an Artifact Dislay Case  (Read 6370 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
How to make an Artifact Dislay Case
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:22:02 am »

Since the dawn of time dwarves have been churning out artifacts to charm and astound us. Of course, not all artifacts are created equal, and some are in truth
quite underwhelming. The artifacts most derided are those deemed "useless". Artifacts that can not be wielded, worn, used or built. Artifacts that can do no more than arbitrarily add to the number called "created wealth" in the z screen. The earrings, the scepters, the mugs.

Many have called for a pedestal or display case feature so that these artifacts may at least be shown off to passersby, but Toady has yet to code it...Or has he?

After my stonecrafter produced a bitchin' artifact mug I entered a strange mood of my own and with some trial and error discovered that display cases can already be made. I also received enough XP to become a Legendary Time Waster.

What you will need:

1. An artifact (preferably "useless")
2. An expendable dwarf (preferably creator of aforementioned artifact)
3. Cage traps
4. Cave in

Yes, you've worked it out, right? It's simple really. Get the dwarf to hold the artifact then knock him on his ass into a cage and hey presto! You have an artifact within a cage.

Here's the video demonstration: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2478-artifactdisplaycasehowtoguide

You should easily be able to make a more efficient system than my mock up, but it serves to demonstrate pretty well. You should also use glass terrariums for the authentic display case feel rather than the wooden test cages I used. For reasons soon explained you probably don't want to be repeatedly placing the same artifact in different cases.

CAVEATS

1. Building the cage containing the artifact does not seem to increase room value. Which really defeats the whole aim of trying to bump a useless artifact up to a more useful "buildable" type but...Shut up. It's still a display case. In our collective imaginations.

2. I don't yet know how to remove the dwarf from the cage while leaving the artifact in the cage because the dwarf is holding onto the artifact like Homer stuck in the vending machine because he wont let go of the candy. I theorize that waiting for the dwarf to die and then dumping the corpse will leave the artifact within the case. For some this will be an unacceptable cost, for others it will be a pleasant bonus. I'll test that some time later unless a kind soul tests it for me first.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: How to make an Artifact Dislay Case
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »

Would it be possible to place the useless artifact, say, outside your fort surrounded by cage traps, and then wait for a kobold etc to steal it and then get caught in the traps?  I forget, do kobolds lose their trapavoid after they have stolen something, or do they have to be spotted first?  If they have to be spotted, this could be prohibitively difficult.  This would also rely on the thieves going for the artifact, which I think shouldn't be a problem as they like to steal valuable things, right?

There is also a certain justice in using the artifact's creator as it's pedestal...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »

Not so! Kitten bait and artifact bait all in one!  Do pressure plate count for trapavoid?  never really built them in places a kobold would wander (or anything, for that matter).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 02:07:26 pm »

Here's one concept.

Make a ring of traps like so.

^^^^
^++^
^^^^

On one of the floor tiles, put a stockpile that accepts only Artifact quality Finished Goods.
On the next tile, pasture a Giant Cave Spider. The pasturing will keep it from wandering onto the cage traps.
Enjoy your kobold zoo!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 02:13:17 pm »

Alternatively if you aren't opposed to modding here is a basic "display case" building that will allow you to build a pedestal out of a clear glass box, a piece of building material, and 1 other item that you want to display.

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:DISPLAY_CASE]
[NAME:Display Case]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:1:1]
[WORK_LOCATION:1:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:MASON]
[BLOCK:1:0]
[TILE:0:1:'#']
[COLOR:0:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:1:1:'#']
[COLOR:1:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:2:1:'#']
[COLOR:2:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:3:1:147]
[COLOR:3:1:7:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BOX:NONE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 12:40:01 am »

Alternatively if you aren't opposed to modding here is a basic "display case" building that will allow you to build a pedestal out of a clear glass box, a piece of building material, and 1 other item that you want to display.

Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:DISPLAY_CASE]
[NAME:Display Case]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[DIM:1:1]
[WORK_LOCATION:1:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:MASON]
[BLOCK:1:0]
[TILE:0:1:'#']
[COLOR:0:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:1:1:'#']
[COLOR:1:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:2:1:'#']
[COLOR:2:1:0:7:0]
[TILE:3:1:147]
[COLOR:3:1:7:0:0]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BLOCKS:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:BOX:NONE:GLASS_CLEAR:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

I like the way you think.

Also, using artifacts as thief bait inside trap rings is a waste of time: goblin thieves only go for the kids, and kobold thieves are [TRAP_AVOID]. Using them as thief bait behind a one- or two-tile wide hall with chained dogs and military stationed nearby works though.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 02:00:10 am »

Being webbed disables trap avoid so the GCS method will definitely work if you have one.

The display case works as well though it requires a new world be generated before it can be constructed.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:06 am »

This is pretty cool, nice discovery/invention. If you want a more realistic display case they are in mods like masterwork already.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:08:01 am »

Yeah, I knew of the display case mod before I did this.

Would it be possible to place the useless artifact, say, outside your fort surrounded by cage traps, and then wait for a kobold etc to steal it and then get caught in the traps?  I forget, do kobolds lose their trapavoid after they have stolen something, or do they have to be spotted first?  If they have to be spotted, this could be prohibitively difficult.  This would also rely on the thieves going for the artifact, which I think shouldn't be a problem as they like to steal valuable things, right?

There is also a certain justice in using the artifact's creator as it's pedestal...

Hm. Kobold idea does have legitimate potential although it would probably require a lot of patience, effort and luck be pretty dwarfy. Kobolds don't lose their trap avoid even after they are spotted, so you'd still need a cave-in to knock it into a cage once you know it's picked up the artifact. Knowing when the kobold has picked up the artifact is the tricky part, because the game will only announce the theft after the kobold leaves the map (if the kobold isn't spotted first). If the kobold is spotted before the theft it'll simply abort the attempt.

So what you'd need is to seal off your fortress so that the only stealable item is the desired artifact. I'd probably put it at the end of a long corridor with cage traps and cave-in system running down the entire length, pretty much like what I already did in the movie although longer and narrower. Kobolds seem to come in a defined kobold-season around the arrival of caravans so you'd know when to be on your guard. It'd still be fairly crazy to stare at the artifact mug on the ground waiting for it to blink out of existence when it goes into a kobold pocket. The most sensible thing to do would be to take regular saves and once it gets stolen revert to the back up before and then concentrate on the artifact because you'd know fairly closely when it would be taken (in case it wasn't already obvious, I save-scum like crazy). And then you just need to save scum your cave in attempts because 9 times out of ten they kill the subject or throw them in the wrong direction or not at all.

Of course, there is another major disadvantage to the kobold system. The whole aim is to make an artifact display case. Not an artifact-and-dwarf or artifact-and-kobold display case. The ambience would be spoilt if there was a dwarf begging to be let of the cage while you're trying to admire the legenedary work of art in his fist. And if it were a kobold it might swallow the artifact out of spite so that your dwarves wouldn't be able to see it (sounds like one of the old Power Goals). The appeal of doing it with dwarf power (other than the practicality and relative ease) is that a dwarf will fairly quickly die of thirst if you so choose, and you can then remove the body and leave the artifact inside*. A kobold will not starve so your only other option would be waiting for it to die of old age. A kobold has [MAXAGE:150:170] so if you were going to try that I'd be very impressed. I may actually try it. The capture kobold holding artifact bit, not the waiting for death by old age part.

Another option is possible if you have thieving animals on your map. If you have for example Kea on your map then you have my condolences you can set up something simpler that doesn't require a cave-in. You have a cage-trap-less entrance corridor that passes the artifact and then has a cage trap before the exit. When the creature enters you lock the door behind them (or raise the bride, whatever) so they are forced to walk passed the artifact and then over the cage trap on their way out. Of course, you again have the problem of waiting for the creature to die of old age but thieving animals mostly lead shorter natural lives than kobolds, I think. If you have thieving animals at all. I only seem to have giant insects and giant birds on my embark so I probably won't bother doing a movie of an animal artifact steal. Although, if a Kea stole one of my artifacts and I caught it in a cage, I think it would be funnier to tame the Kea so that it would forever strut about the fortress with the mug in it's beak. Mobile-artifact-display-animal. Oh shit. That's awesome. Maybe I will try that. With an artifact weapon so that the Kea is carrying around an artifact steel sword like some sort of militia straight from The Far Side.   

Here's one concept.

Make a ring of traps like so.

^^^^
^++^
^^^^

On one of the floor tiles, put a stockpile that accepts only Artifact quality Finished Goods.
On the next tile, pasture a Giant Cave Spider. The pasturing will keep it from wandering onto the cage traps.
Enjoy your kobold zoo!

That has potential too although I think many people underestimate the difficulty involved with making GCSs do as they wish, either tame or otherwise. I haven't experimented much with them myself. The problem I see with your example is that the GCS won't shoot webs at a kobold it can't see, and a kobold it can see won't try to steal the artifact. If you're relying on the kobold stealing the artifact and then being spotted and webbed by the spider while the kobold is standing on a cage trap, well...Your crazy mouse-trap plans are more complex and ambitious than mine dare be. I prefer indiscriminate cave-ins for creatues that can be knocked out.

Also, using artifacts as thief bait inside trap rings is a waste of time: goblin thieves only go for the kids, and kobold thieves are [TRAP_AVOID]. Using them as thief bait behind a one- or two-tile wide hall with chained dogs and military stationed nearby works though.

You may have missed the aim. It's not for ways to catch thieves in cages by using artifacts. It's for proven and reliably repeatable ways of getting an artifact into a cage, and only the artifact in the cage. Bonus if a dwarf doesn't have to die, but so far the only way I can see to avoid a dwarf death is waiting for an animal to die of old age or a kobold. Many forts don't even last that long so it's less practical than even the method required to get a kobold or a wild animal into the cage with an artifact to begin with.

* THIS IS STILL THEORY Once my dwarf dies in the cage I will either confirm or dismiss it. If it's wrong then the display case is a failure in my opinion.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:29 pm »

The problem I see with your example is that the GCS won't shoot webs at a kobold it can't see, and a kobold it can see won't try to steal the artifact. If you're relying on the kobold stealing the artifact and then being spotted and webbed by the spider while the kobold is standing on a cage trap, well...

The minute the kobold enters the square to steal the artifact or gets onto a cage trap near the GCS, it'll be uncloaked. The spider will immediately fire off a cloud of webs since this is the first thing a spider will ever do in that situation. One of two things will happen, the kobold will be webbed right next to the spider and will be killed by it or it winds up on a webbed cage trap.

This is really easy to set up if you give the Mountain Entity [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 04:39:46 pm »

Enjoy your kobold zoo!

You, sir, are DIABOLICAL.

... Are you interested in a fortress management position?
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:00:10 am »

The problem I see with your example is that the GCS won't shoot webs at a kobold it can't see, and a kobold it can see won't try to steal the artifact. If you're relying on the kobold stealing the artifact and then being spotted and webbed by the spider while the kobold is standing on a cage trap, well...

The minute the kobold enters the square to steal the artifact or gets onto a cage trap near the GCS, it'll be uncloaked. The spider will immediately fire off a cloud of webs since this is the first thing a spider will ever do in that situation. One of two things will happen, the kobold will be webbed right next to the spider and will be killed by it or it winds up on a webbed cage trap.

This is really easy to set up if you give the Mountain Entity [USE_ANY_PET_RACE].

Yeah, maaaaybe...But I'm still dubious. How do you know that the kobold will pick up the artifact before being uncloaked? How do you know he won't immediately be webbed on that square which doesn't have a trap? That second point can easily be fixed by putting the artifact on top of a cage trap, but the first point still stands. If I find a GCS on my map I'll give it a try.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 02:37:07 am »

Assuming you can get a creature and artifact into a cage the solution for leaving just the artifact is really quite simple:  Deconstruct and drop the cage in magma.  Using a metal cage, or other magma safe material (glass display case), the cage and magma immune artifact will survive, any non magma immune dwarf or kobold will slowly melt, leaving just the caged artifact. 

See, magma really is always the answer. 

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 02:39:51 am »

You could always dump the artifact into a small pool and add magma.

Problem solved.

Or for extra dwarf points (though I DON'T know if this will work), get a nether-cap bin, throw an artifact mug into the pond, wait for it to freeze, mine out the square with the artifact in it, and dump it in said bin. Nether-cap hopefully won't cause the artifact to thaw, since it also prevents freezing. (the way science works is that you need to gain enough energy to get to the melting point and then MORE energy, because the changing of state requires energy.)

of course if the artifact doesn't stay in the cube of ice it does you no good, but meh,

one day Toady will implement Dwarven Cryo-weaponry and we can put the mugs in a pool and ZAP THEM WITH A FREEZE RAY
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

King of Blades

• Bay Watcher
  • What wonders will I see this day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 04:45:23 am »

Yeah, maaaaybe...But I'm still dubious. How do you know that the kobold will pick up the artifact before being uncloaked? How do you know he won't immediately be webbed on that square which doesn't have a trap? That second point can easily be fixed by putting the artifact on top of a cage trap, but the first point still stands. If I find a GCS on my map I'll give it a try.

It doesn't matter, the spider will cover the entire area in webs.  Either he gets webbed over a trap or he doesn't, and if he doesn't you close the spider off from him and he gets caged on his way out of the circle of cage traps.
Pages: [1] 2