Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61817 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords

This is relevant to my interests, I'll drop you an email.  Out of curiosity, why did you come to this specific forum for testers?

I posted on forums for a variety of strategy/simulation game communities, as well contacted various online friends. The DF one because I am deeply inspired by DF which I think is a masterpiece of a game, and I thought many people here would not dismiss a game out of hand purely because of poor graphics.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

and I thought many people here would not dismiss a game out of hand purely because of poor graphics.

The graphics actually don't look that bad...  I thought they were rather attractive hexes, other than maybe the desert.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile

I've dropped you a personal message, Lord Rex. :)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

See, now we're seeing some good stuff :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This sounds like the kind of game I would play until important organs start shutting down due to malnutrition, so please stop making it as I would prefer not to die in that way at such a young age.

Also you might consider looking into the Battle for Wesnoth graphics repository as I'm fairly certain all the art in that game (and there is a metric shitload of it) is homebrew and open-source, and very high quality.  I don't see B4W in your influences list, so if you haven't played it I highly recommend it, especially for a fantasy 4X.  It has some design decisions that I don't like (shallow economy, no , no ranged units, I-hit-you-you-hit-me rock-paper-scissors combat system, for starters) but it hits a lot of the right notes (unit upgrades with persistence between levels, balanced tactical combat, AI is not a gibbering idiot).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:48:01 pm by RanDomino »

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

edit: merged posts, can't figure out how to delete this one

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Quite interesting, dropped you a PM.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dropped a PM too. :) Sounds really, really impressive. :)
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I as well sent in a pm, this looks promising :D
Nom nom nom

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile

I dropped a PM, can't wait to see where this goes.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

revo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

watching and waiting and hoping. I <3 4x games

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

ill try it, as long as it wont require winrar or admins. both i dislike.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile

Use 7zip to unrar?  :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Use 7zip to unrar?  :P

Won't be a problem, at least to start.  I was sent a zip.  The game does not play 'well' for me, or else I'm doing something wrong.  When I try to progress time forward (next turn) I get a non-crashing error message, and quite a few other things I've tried to do have given me various error messages too.  So I've deeply explored the starting options, and sent the game's creator some detailed feedback on what I did and what the error messages were.

Has any tester been able to play this game and get past the first turn?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords

Wow, I have gotten a lot of mails and PMs over the last few days, and also a few people have tried it out already, and give very useful feedback.

Due to the amount of people interested, which has shocked me quite a bit to be honest, I have decided to just put a version up for download. I will be trying to fix the worst of the quibbles from the playtesting done so far, and I have made the first bit of work on the spell research/casting ui. I am also adding a cheat menu for removing fog of war, inspecting details about the world which are normally hidden, etc. So I expect to put up a version for public download tomorrow night. I will post an update here when the link is up on my blog.

I guess I should also get some forums up and running, so that feedback and ideas can be collected / organized in a more structured form. Right now I have a lot of mails and PMs and it is a bit time consuming to reply to them while I also getting time to actually code. A forum would help me there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21