Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61746 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2016, 05:09:20 am »

Been looking this all over for a while, have to say it looks right up my alley. PTW. With much excitement.
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2016, 12:56:15 am »

PTW.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 01:07:02 am by Ardent Debater »

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #182 on: May 15, 2016, 04:34:05 pm »

Just a quick update, as I promised to give one when the Unity build caught up with the old one. I am really glad to finally have reached this point, and thus be able to resume working on new features on a much better foundation. During this process I did add some new features and usability improvements, primarily to keep motivated - it was a bit of grind at times to re-implement the UI and map rendering code. The actual "game mechanics" porting went a lot smoother than anticipated.

Details on the new features can be found on my blog/forums for those who are interested. One that was really good fun to implement was the "summons from the future" idea from Frumple. Added this as an event for wizards with the Wild Magic trait (with a very tiny chance to happen for others). Thanks a lot for the idea, on top of all the very useful and thorough bug reports.

The usual disclaimer: It is still an alpha, and if you test it out, expect an unpolished experience and a variety of bugs. But the current build does give an insight into what game this will become - minus the top-secret combat system (that I am not quite ready to show yet). The feedback and ideas I've gotten so far from testers and other interested parties, has been very useful, and is much appreciated.

My main focus areas for the coming weeks are: AI, save games, custom wizard creation, roads, rivers, and continual improvement of core mechanics (Characters, Cities, Wizard Towers, Magic, and Dungeons). The map graphics also need better placeholders for some things (all factions and monsters/neutrals have the same army icon at the moment).

As always, I am happy to answer any questions or read your ideas/thoughts on what features and content you'd like to see in the final game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:40:28 pm by Ludorum Rex »

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2016, 03:31:22 am »

Thank you for the progress report Ludorum Rex, it looks like it's coming along very nice.
Quick question on the latest build, I tried to double check it, but when I tried running it it just said that the application cannot work on my computer. I see in the app title it says something like ww64, not sure but could this be like only compatible with win x64? (I got x32, so maybe that's why it's not working)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:40 am »

Indeed, the current version is 64-bit. I will build a 32-bit version as well later tonight and let you know when it's available.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2016, 02:39:35 pm »

A link to a 32-bit version has been added to the page.

Aqma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2016, 01:31:16 am »

Wow, thank you sir! Indeed now it works, I fiddled a bit with it and it's very impressive.
I know you mentioned no bug reporting yet, but let me give you my feel so far, maybe it helps.

Overall everything is much smoother and seems more glued together after the unity switch. It moves faster, snappier etc. The graphics as well look very nice now and blend in together quite nicely, I must say overall I find it very pleasing to the eye. Turns go quite fast, much more stable then before (moving through the turns I did not encounter a single crash, while before the unity switch it happened from time to time).

A few things which I would give as feedback from my side (by the way, if it helps I mainly do my gaming on a windows tablet nowadays):
- Resolution: When I start the game I can only pick one resolution, which is the one native to the screen. This might make it a bit difficult for screens with super high resolution but small actual screen, for example I have an 8 inch screen with 1900x1200, so things in game likes icons are a bit small. I usually play games with a bit lower resolution just so things are more visible. Would be cool if you could allow resolution changes.
- Touch screen: As I said, I mainly play on a windows tablet nowadays. I have to say everything is super responsive screen wise, I could access everything without needing a mouse which is very nice for me! Interesting enough I can move the map around with both swiping the screen directly and right clicking with moving (seems a bit redundant both), which brings me to the next one:
- Army movement: I cannot really seem to find a solution to move the army around. Before I could select it and right click where it should move and it would register. Now I select it, but if I right click it just deselects it, not sure if I am missing something or if it's just due to the touch screen thing ...
- Spells: I researched Minor Water Magic (so I got the water conjure spell), then I researched Chaos, Air etc. But when I get the cast a spell icon at the beginning of the turn, I could only select the water magic, did not see any other spell at all. By the way, might be nice to have an icon like the army one on top of the screen with the spellbook (not sure if you had this in mind already or not).
- Provinces: I like how you have integrated options to interact with the provinces directly when you select them, this is super nice. Would be nice if you could add a bit of flavor text explaining what kind of a province is, graphically it is usually clear already but still just to confirm what you see (might add a bit as immersion).
- Towns, castles, etc: I could not find any way to interact with them like diplomacy, not sure if this is in for later or me missing it.
- Resources: I could see to the left/up corner of the screen the gold, influence, but I could not find anywhere how many of the other resources like lumber (from the lumbermill), stone (quary) I have, not sure if I am missing where to look
- Follower tooltips: Would be nice especially for the followers to understand what their traits do, they seem very diverse which is nice but no idea right now what they do.

- On a separate note (not sure if this is something that you can look at, or even on your end). I tried downloading and installing on my laptop as well, I have avast there and it blocked me from playing saying it looks suspicious (guessing false positive). On the tablet I have ESET and it did not have any issues whatsoever with me playing. Again not sure if this is something on your end that you can even look at, but just as a heads up in case you have people having avast and asking you.

I hope this helps. It's looking better and better each day, amazing job!
Super hyped about how this will develop further, it has the potential to scratch an itch that no game has done before for me - a grand strategy fantasy game :o
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:19:49 am by Aqma »

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »

Thanks a lot for the testing and feedback. I am digging into your findings, which should result in some bug fixes and usability improvements in the near future. As for your final comment: My personal unscratched fantasy grand strategy game itch was a big motivation to start this project. Happy to hear I am not the only one with this itch, and I am looking forward to when the game is able to provide a more proper game play experience.

As for Avast, I have had issues with it in regards to some business software I was working on. It can be quite aggressive about .NET applications, and back then there were particular patterns of code that would trigger it. A quick web search, also reveals it has a history of warning about Unity games, and even the editor at one point. Hopefully I can find a way to avoid triggering a false positive reaction.

Really great to hear about the UI being usable on a touch screen. I don't have a non-Android touch device, so I haven't tested it with touch, but I did spend some time when making the UI elements taking advantage of touch functionality in the Unity engine. Apart from the army movement it sounds like it worked decently. Perhaps this is a good excuse to get a Windows device with a touch screen :)

As for resolution, I can choose non-default resolutions when testing. I will try and see if I can figure out why that is missing in some cases.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2016, 01:30:41 pm »

might be me being dumb or something but i cant create custom Regiments in 0.9.46 ... or is a research required?

EDIT on second thought it is probably just the fact that it isnt implemented in the that version but is already done in the dev version?

btw i must say this will be my dream game :) iv wanted a game like this for sooo long!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 01:34:46 pm by assasinwar9 »
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2016, 01:42:37 pm »

Really glad to hear you are looking forward to the game. I am working hard to get the game ready for beta, at which point I will take down the link to the 0.9.46 version, making it less confusing what functionality is still restricted to the development build.

There are two kinds of customized units in the game at the moment: Constructs and regiments. Customization of constructs (golems, etc.) is unlocked through research. Customization of regiments was available without any research in earlier versions, but with options based on cultures encountered, their technological progress, traits, etc. Various permanent enchantments are unlocked through research (Mark of Fire, Mark of Thunder, etc.).

In the current open alpha version, regiment customization is disabled and as you guessed, construct customization isn't in the public build (which is a slightly dated version), but it is functional in the development build. Regiment customization will receive a minor overhaul to make the UI better, the mechanics more interesting and to create further distinctions between the different kinds of wizards (and warlords).

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2016, 10:24:09 pm »

So, I'm on a Mac and now that you've updated to Unity would it be possible to get a Mac build up? I'm able to Wineskin the 32-bit build fairly easily but a native Mac version would be nice. From what little I've played the game is great.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #191 on: June 21, 2016, 01:48:20 pm »

Linux and Mac OS X builds are planned for the beta release. My intent is to enter beta before the end of summer - with the risk of delays inherent to this kind of project. Somewhat unexpectedly, I miss the cycle of incremental improvement and regular releases, and I look forward to getting back to this. But progress is good and I am very optimistic about beta being soon.

As an aside, one can always debate what constitutes alpha and beta state, or whether these labels are even useful. For me the transition to alpha marks a focus on fixing the parts that make it hard to give feedback and participate with ideas, bug reports, wishlists, etc. And it serves as a motivational milestone for me, which is useful.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:54:37 pm by Ludorum Rex »

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #192 on: July 03, 2016, 04:51:24 pm »

For those who are interested, I've uploaded a brief video, mainly because I am quite proud of how fast the load game code is. But it also shows a few UI elements, sending an emissary to a neutral city, and some randomly generated world content, including a randomly generated, rather short-lived (11 years is a venerable specimen) race of insectoids, who live in a war-like theocracy. As usual progress updates can be found on my blog and on the forums, at somewhat varying degrees of detail.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2016, 03:10:52 pm »

A little self-bump, for those it might interest: I've added some more videos (video 2, video 3, video 4) and screenshots . The game is quite functional now, the AI is exploring and conquering, and once the new battle system is ready, I'll make an early access version. My goal is get to that point before the end of August. There's still a lot of work to do before the game is ready for 1.0, but I am still having great fun working on this, and I am really excited about what the coming months will bring. This is a game I really want to play myself, and I can see the contours of something that I can play rather than test, emerging.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:39:30 am by Ludorum Rex »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2016, 07:51:01 pm »

Looking forward to it, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.