Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61866 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2017, 06:01:58 pm »

It passed by the time I woke up, fortunately. Just indigestion of one sort or another, heh.

I bring more stuff, too, ehehe. Not too many this time, though. Spent a fair amount of playtime passing turns to see if something went weird with dungeon exploration, wizard tower expansions, and market prices, rather than ranging more widely to see if anything breaks.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: phantom army (click to show/hide)

That stuff aside, how do you increase your mana reserves, anyway? Right now I've figured out you can reach tower 3 if you take channeling and build a crystal vault, but even building the second vault the third level opens up for you only gets you about half way to the mana cost on the forth level, and as near as I can tell anyone that doesn't take channeling is out of luck to get even that far, and woe betide the poor soul that doesn't build the vault. No way to deconstruct those expansions, heh.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:06:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2017, 12:02:06 pm »

Ptw sounds like a masterpiece in progress from what I am reading
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 07, 2017, 12:00:38 am »

Ah, 'nother update. Few more bug reports for the latest version, 'fore I go to sleep. Probably actually few this time, since I spent most of today's laptop time watching breath of the wild streams rather than playing games, heh. Spoiler'd as usual.

Ask not!
Ask!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »

I've been somewhat off due to some still-ongoing life-trouble. I've gotten started today.

Can't seem to build anything though. The game always says I'm missing gold even if I have 500 gold or so, so I can't really build anything :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 07, 2017, 01:47:19 pm »

What are you trying to build? 500's low for a number of sites, town structures, or tower expansions.
Ask not!
Ask!

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »

Hmm interesting. Perhaps the initial gold needs to bumped or there needs to be more cheap early-game stuff to build. Especially as I just fixed a bug (for the coming patch) which caused dungeon exploration to give too much gold when the party was unsuccessful, which is indirectly a gold income nerf.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2017, 05:06:06 am »

I've been playing this on and off for a while, but haven't really encountered bugs worth reporting.

I noticed that the newest version has popups for hero abilities. That is good, it was sorely lacking. I suppose there are more such coming, including for units and sorcerer abilities and so forth?

Suggestion: I think the dungeon exploration would be more fun if it was shorter and more decisive. Instead of endless turns with light wounds and stuff, pop up a few event windows where you can decide how to proceed. That in turn will affect results, like whether the followers gain items or money or just get snot kicked out of them.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2017, 03:13:01 am »

Played some more; is there any consequences at losing battles, other than losing troops? I had a manticore come and eat my guards, but it didn't attack the tower. So there wasn't any consequences for it, really. When I trained new troops, it came and ate them too, but again, no harm to the tower.

This leads to a suggestion - maybe patrol stance should make the army intercept enemies entering hexes surrounding the hex it is placed in. When wandering monsters start pillaging improvements etc, this would make defending your emplacements less of a hassle. For balance reasons, maybe armies just sitting in their hex instead of patrolling should get some sort of defensive bonus.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2017, 10:09:50 am »

Quote from: Majestic7
I noticed that the newest version has popups for hero abilities. That is good, it was sorely lacking. I suppose there are more such coming, including for units and sorcerer abilities and so forth?

Yes, adding tool tips and more advanced popups where ever it makes sense is a continuous process, and something I'm setting aside time for in every update cycle.

Suggestion: I think the dungeon exploration would be more fun if it was shorter and more decisive. Instead of endless turns with light wounds and stuff, pop up a few event windows where you can decide how to proceed. That in turn will affect results, like whether the followers gain items or money or just get snot kicked out of them.

Indeed, dungeon delving is too boring, grindy and without impact at the moment, and as Frumple mentioned earlier the boss battles are not implemented/active (I did a first iteration on boss battles, but wasn't happy with it). The current system is the result of several design iterations, and I hope to do a further iteration very soon, where it will be more like you describe: Instead of the constant cycle of light wounds+loot+recuperating, the party will stay at the dungeon for an extended period of time, with events, a visible measure of progress and more decisive results. It should be interesting and exciting what the exploration will yield. Currently it is just a mildly hazardous gold mine with convoluted mechanics.

Speaking of visible progress meters, this also something I will be adding for other multi-turn task. Searching a province is a very opaque process at the moment, and there is no hint as to how much progress has been made. I am finding this really annoying myself when playtesting - I could imagine someone less familiar with the game would doubt whether the search is actually working at all.

is there any consequences at losing battles, other than losing troops? I had a manticore come and eat my guards, but it didn't attack the tower. So there wasn't any consequences for it, really. When I trained new troops, it came and ate them too, but again, no harm to the tower.

Rampaging and wandering monsters will not attack your tower, and neither will unaligned marauders. This will change to depend on strength and disposition of the creature(s). AI warlords, wizards and some other factions will try to conquer/destroy/raid cities/fortresses/towers. I also want to add some kind of stealth mechanic to the tower, in addition to more fleshed out fortification/garrison mechanics, in order to make a wizard tower something that requires a major effort from the attacker. Damaging it, economic disruption, etc. can be easier to achieve, but I don't want wizard players to be forced into keeping a major garrison at the tower.

This leads to a suggestion - maybe patrol stance should make the army intercept enemies entering hexes surrounding the hex it is placed in. When wandering monsters start pillaging improvements etc, this would make defending your emplacements less of a hassle. For balance reasons, maybe armies just sitting in their hex instead of patrolling should get some sort of defensive bonus.

Great suggestion, thanks. Currently, Patrol is connected to the province and territorial control mechanics, but I think that it would be very logical to also make it away to intercept marauders that otherwise might be really annoying to chase down/mop up. I'll add some intercept mechanics in the next build, including a mechanism to set thresholds for how powerful forces you want to intercept. A defensive bonus for stationary/fortified armies is also a good idea.

Quote from: Frumple
Not sure how/if intentional, but assigning your followers to lead a settlement doesn't appear to give XP. Can't help but think it might be amusingly appropriate in particularly figure-heady/incompetent leaders, but it seems odd otherwise.

Yes, the experience gains in general need some work - too many tasks don't give any xp and the gains are not consistent enough over the various activities. This also goes for traits - sending someone really unsuited to be a diplomat can cause them to become depressed. I want to have more of these kinds of events, not just for diplomats, but also for the other activities.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2017, 10:21:02 am »

Heh. That last bit has me imagine a future where you force a scribe or somethin' an opposing force sends you as an emissary into dungeons until they commit suicide from the stress.

... which is rather morbid, now that I think if it. We totally need a way to assign followers or enemy diplomats to work in the mines at some point in the future, though. "To show your sincerity, you must mine 20 units of adamantine from the blighted ore mines of the burning hills with your own hands. Return once this is done and you will receive an audience."
Ask not!
Ask!

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2017, 10:31:53 am »

Well, one of the Steam achievements I'm working on:

( Tchey )

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jeux1d100.net/
« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2017, 11:47:11 am »

I may have missed it, but i cannot find a link to test the current version. If i understand it rignt, it's possible to test ? Onr maybe not. Thanks.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:51 pm »

Strindberg is a Dwarven Noble !
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2017, 01:00:44 pm »

Strindberg is a Dwarven Noble !

A rather versatile fellow, that Strindberg - pretty sure he has acted the part of everything from an Insectoid Cultist to a Halfling Mathematician.

I am using classical portraits which are in the public domain for some portraits, and truth be told, I don't know their identities, apart from Maria de Medici being one of them. Thanks for pointing out another.

I may have missed it, but i cannot find a link to test the current version. If i understand it rignt, it's possible to test ? Onr maybe not. Thanks.

There was an open alpha a while ago. Early Access is right around the corner, but I'm waiting for some annoying paperwork to clear, which through a combination of unfortunate circumstances took a lot longer than anticipated.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:23:03 am by Ludorum Rex »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2017, 03:37:31 am »

Mm, it would be interesting if incompetence was itself a resource in some circumstances. So you could send a blundering drunk as an envoy on purpose to fuck up your diplomatic relations with a faction, perhaps to provoke them into attacking you instead of being the aggressors yourself. Stuff like that.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21