Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61832 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #270 on: October 10, 2020, 11:53:29 am »

1) I've researched how to bind nodes, but can't seem to figure out how to do it. I can bind with an army including wisps over the site, but is that just from the wisp ability or my researched ability as well? Given the cost increase associated with wisps, want to make sure I'm not wasting a bunch of mana.

2) How many turns are there per year? (In terms of lifespans of followers.)

1) You need to have an army at the site. The Wisps can bind without the research but at +50% cost. If you have the research they give a cost reduction based on their experience level.

2) 48 Turns per year. As a Wizard you have the power to extend their lifespan, so you shouldn't really worry about that until the powers-that-be take away that little perk.*

* This is a roundabout way to say that I disabled dying from old age quite some time ago, and forget to add it back.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 10, 2020, 12:19:17 pm »

Thanks much for the quick responses. One more question, if that's okay: what are the basics for gaining XP? I have all my followers doing something, yet only one is consistently gaining XP.

• Military leader serving as a general: has gained 5 XP- from a battle, perhaps?
  • Merchant leading various sites: only gained 1 XP so far in about 50 turns.
  • Sage doing various tasks (including leading sites, being an emissary, etc.): 0 XP gained.
  • Courtier serving as advisor while exploring, being an emissary, etc.: 37 XP.
  • Mystic organizing worship for their patron deity: 0 XP.

Do only certain offices grant XP? Is XP mainly from the associated training buildings one can construct?

Edit: Heck, while I'm at it - passive recruitment pools, are those generally raised by having settlements and the like?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 12:30:26 pm by Dostoevsky »

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #272 on: October 10, 2020, 12:30:33 pm »

Thanks much for the quick responses. One more question, if that's okay: what are the basics for gaining XP? I have all my followers doing something, yet only one is consistently gaining XP.

• Military leader serving as a general: has gained 5 XP- from a battle, perhaps?
  • Merchant leading various sites: only gained 1 XP so far in about 50 turns.
  • Sage doing various tasks (including leading sites, being an emissary, etc.): 0 XP gained.
  • Courtier serving as advisor while exploring, being an emissary, etc.: 37 XP.
  • Mystic organizing worship for their patron deity: 0 XP.

Do only certain offices grant XP? Is XP mainly from the associated training buildings one can construct?

Most non-titular offices should give XP. There are some diminishing returns (high level characters get XP from a narrower range of activities), but I don't expect that's the case here.  Battles give XP, but there is passive XP gain for being General.

I might be too stingy on the Site Leader XP gain. Worship not giving XP is a straight-up bug.

XP also comes from 'ambient' character activity. This is stuff that they do on their own - if you look in the Details > History part of the Follower Window, there may be records for events such as fist fights, heading out with other characters to adventure (idle followers tend to do this because of boredom), nobles arguing and becoming rivals, priests can try to placate their deitiy if the Wizard has angered it. etc. There are quite a number of possible activities, and I add more in every patch. It's part of making the world feel alive, and I really enjoy expanding on this.

It's not really intended as something to min/max - but as a reflection of the activity level of the character. But thanks for pointing out the worship 0 XP issue, and that leading sites may be too unrewarding, especially for matching site types and character classes/traits.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 10, 2020, 01:20:27 pm »

Thanks again. My general has been leading a unit for a few dozen turns (and won two battles) without reaching level 2 yet, for what it's worth. Also, looking at histories of followers thus far is only showing their assignments (and battles, in the general's case) but it I'm less than 100 turns in.

I have plenty more questions building up, but I don't want to take up your day with them. Will see what I can figure out.

Edit: If it helps re: worship, I noticed that on the right-hand side's follower listings my worship follower is listed as "missing" instead of the actual task. But on the follower screen proper it states they're working on worship (and I am slowly gaining favor).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:43:22 pm by Dostoevsky »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 10, 2020, 10:52:22 pm »

An issue I'm having, trying to sacrifice captives for souls, I've probably gained like 200 this way but the resources window only lists the ones I've gotten from drain soul.  Gotta get my soul-powered demon trash golems going.

Also, is there a list somewhere of where various resources can be obtained and maybe what they do?  There's so many and a lot of them I have no idea how to get, like ectoplasm.

Also, and I don't know how much of a bug this is, but it can be annoying.  Sometimes when you're attacking a settlement it'll spit out a new couple units every turn, making it impossible to siege and forcing you to take repeated fights, slowly whittling you down before you've started the siege.  This continues even after you've started sieging them.  It seems like they eventually stop (assuming it's cause they run out of resources) but it means you need a much bigger force than it looks like you need.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:11:09 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2020, 07:54:29 am »

An issue I'm having, trying to sacrifice captives for souls, I've probably gained like 200 this way but the resources window only lists the ones I've gotten from drain soul.  Gotta get my soul-powered demon trash golems going.

Also, is there a list somewhere of where various resources can be obtained and maybe what they do?  There's so many and a lot of them I have no idea how to get, like ectoplasm.

Also, and I don't know how much of a bug this is, but it can be annoying.  Sometimes when you're attacking a settlement it'll spit out a new couple units every turn, making it impossible to siege and forcing you to take repeated fights, slowly whittling you down before you've started the siege.  This continues even after you've started sieging them.  It seems like they eventually stop (assuming it's cause they run out of resources) but it means you need a much bigger force than it looks like you need.

Thanks I'll check out the soul bug.

Resources can be bought on the market if you don't have a steady supply (Economy Window). Ectoplasm is gotten mostly from beating up ghosts or buying it from the market. Market is getting a bit of a nerf in a coming update, but I'll try to remember making sure all essential resources are available from sources other than chasing down random event armies.

As for the siege issue - you can start a siege after fighting a battle if your army began the turn in the hex. So you can fight the defender army, start the siege right after. If you move into a hex, fight the besiegers, then you can't start the siege right away.

While sieging they will probably still attack you, but that will not interrupt the progress of the siege unless your army retreats.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2020, 09:32:21 am »

Along the same lines as the soul bug, unless I'm missing something it looks like the necromancy post-battle window supersedes the regular captives window.  If I'm playing a demon or something and take a point in necromancy to get soul-powered golems, when I win a battle I get the necromancy window instead of the deal with captives window, and can no longer extract souls post-battle.
Shoes...

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2020, 11:21:17 am »

Along the same lines as the soul bug, unless I'm missing something it looks like the necromancy post-battle window supersedes the regular captives window.  If I'm playing a demon or something and take a point in necromancy to get soul-powered golems, when I win a battle I get the necromancy window instead of the deal with captives window, and can no longer extract souls post-battle.

Well, thanks for pointing me in the direction of another bug. I'm not entirely happy with this post-battle UI in general, but it certainly doesn't help the usability when a bug short-circuits the choices made. Thanks for taking the time to write this down, it really does help me in finding and fixing things faster.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 13, 2020, 05:16:11 am »

Weirdly, the portrait mods causes massive lag. 

Quadruples memory usage, according to Task Manager data.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #279 on: October 14, 2020, 01:48:59 pm »

Weirdly, the portrait mods causes massive lag. 

Quadruples memory usage, according to Task Manager data.

Wow, that's strange. I'm changing mod loading for 1.0.1 (so that you pick one or more mods, prioritize them, and it relaunches the game with those active, rather than a weird check-box and browse during game start up), but that issue sounds like something that needs immediate attention. That could explain some of the mod-related bug reports I've been getting as well.

Thanks!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2020, 07:16:49 am »

Picked it up recently, and questions abound. E.g.:
1. Is there a guide for the various unit stats and/or battle mechanics? I've no idea how much I should or shouldn't care about a +1 to toughness vs discipline etc.
2. Same for settlement stats and character stats.
3. Is unrest permanent? How does it affect rebel spawning (if that's what it does)? The only way to bring it down I've noticed is a few points from various buildings or maybe a spell, so I'm not sure if I should bother spending thousands to bring it down from 80 to 40.
4. Does corrupting population to evil alignment do anything? I can't seem to notice.
5. Is beseeching the dark patron fully implemented? All I've been getting from it is yet another quest to drain a mana node for +5 favour.
6. Do unit buffs cost mana upkeep?
7. What's up with the post-battle prisoners screen? What's the difference if I capture/execute/release prisoners? I can't seem to see any effect either way. At least sacrifice purports to give souls, but they don't show in the 'transmute' screen anyway.
8. How do the different options re: dealing with local leaders after conquest differ? Why should I ever want to pick exile over gruesome execution (or vice versa), etc.

(sorry if these were asked before in the thread, I've only skimmed half a dozen pages)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2020, 11:01:02 am »

1. Only a very cursory guide. Toughness, armor and melee skill are (on average) strong enough that +1 makes a difference. Some players are working on a wiki, and I'm always trying to improve the UI and expand the guides.
2. Next Update (1.0.1) has a complete overhaul of settlement UI which has much better info on stats directly in the UI. Until then see 1)
3. Not always. Some unrest is temporary, and the base value can be reduced by various means. Order magic is a way to keep it down. It does affect rebel spawning and also random events + economy. The city-focused update will make the various unrest-related mechanics (including some currently hidden rebelllion stats) more transparent.
4. It can give you evil recruits if you need those for your armies.
5. Yes, you can get multiple quests. Most are pretty boring, but there are a few interesting ones where you have to desecrate temples and such.
6. Only the most powerful. Note that many unit buffs are temporary.
7. There is a very small diplomatic impact. Capturing is tracked internally, but you can't really do anything with captives. I know this screen needs fixing as it's kind of confusing and has very low impact.
8. Some alignments are restricted. There are also different effects on unrest, diplomacy, etc. Note that high Unrest is useful for levelling Chaos Mastery, so sometimes you want to rile the population of a city on purpose.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2020, 10:08:54 pm »

Personally I just keep the old fool who was in charge before the conquest.  I certainly don't have extra followers be putting in charge of sites.

And a question of my own: how do I build roads? I can't quite find it anywhere.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #283 on: October 18, 2020, 02:38:10 am »

And a question of my own: how do I build roads? I can't quite find it anywhere.

Order Mastery has two spells for creating roads. Mundane roadbuilding is not possible at this time, as I am still traumatized by honeycomb Civilization maps, and want to make sure I avoid that.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 21, 2020, 04:25:58 pm »

Army roles now give passive XP to characters below level 3
All Army offices now gain XP from battles (Quartermaster only on victory)

This was sorely needed.  There is not a lot of ways to reliably give followers experience.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21