Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61745 times)

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile

No need for shock. I'm literally playing Dominions 3 right now, but I have to admit that it has shown its age. Warlock is too goofy to be credible. Fallen Enchantress is what it is. Suffice to say, your choice of project is wide open for a new interpretation on 4X fantasy strategy.

Personally, I'd like to see spell casting reagants as strategic resources!

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile

I have an idea, boats have a base stat. But they only work if crewed. And this crews skills reflect on what happens.
Example: a Boat with warriors would be a boarding beast, but would get shot to pieces by a boat with archers in it.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

where can i get the download?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Warlock is too goofy to be credible

That isn't its problem. Its problem is magic is too strong and too weak at the same time.

There are alternate dimensions but GOOD luck exploring them. They are tougher then taking out enemies.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Warlock is also in desperate need of simultaneous turns for us folks that love playing multiplayer 4X's.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

where can i get the download?
+1
Warlock is also in desperate need of simultaneous turns for us folks that love playing multiplayer 4X's.  :)
Also this. Once I discovered that TBSE was an option all games that don't use it seem needlessly slow (I'm in one right now- we haven't had a turn in a week). Note that even if the game's turn is mean to be played in a minute instead of an hour (I don't know which kind yours is, though I'm guessing the later), it will still benefit from being TBSE (for example General)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

demigod trying to ascend to godhood

INSTANT WIN

I will be watching this game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

demigod trying to ascend to godhood

INSTANT WIN

I will be watching this game.

You are away that the VAST majority of fantasy 4x (and even space 4x) games that do this... it instantly ends the game right?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still...

INSTANT WIN!

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

INSTANT WIN
You are away that the VAST majority of fantasy 4x (and even space 4x) games that do this... it instantly ends the game right?
ahem
"Instant win (n) - the positive outcome that instantly ends the game.
see also: instant loss, instant draw"
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Only one man understood me and he didn't understand me" -- Leatra

No need to overthink it. I'll reveal it's true meaning!

It means...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

can i have a copy of this so i can go test it?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Due to the amount of people interested... I have decided to just put a version up for download... I expect to put up a version for public download tomorrow night. I will post an update here when the link is up on my blog.

When our OP can, I am certain there'll be an update here with a link for everyone to test with.  He mentioned he wanted to make some fixes and link the new version, so hopefully soon  8)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords

Hey again all,

I have uploaded my latest build. The link can be found at http://wizardsandwarlords.wordpress.com. I will get a website with forums and a download link which is not hosted by an annoying file hosting service (I use FileFactory right now, and it is pretty annoying to use - my apologies).

Some of the testers have been having crashes when pressing next turn. I found out this is related to the executable being built with .NET 4.5 which is not compatible with Windows XP and Vista. :(

So I will have to live without the nifty new feature of 4.5, and rewrite those parts of the code. Until I have uploaded a fixed version, only OS'es that support 4.5 (and have it installed) can run the game properly. If you have 4.0 you can run the game but "Next Turn" will crash the game.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:57:42 pm by Ludorum Rex »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for working so hard on this game!  And for keeping us in touch with what you're doing, I know it takes time you could spend programming or enjoying other things.  As one of the people who couldn't take the game to the next turn, I have to say that I enjoyed what I saw in that first turn enough that really want to see more when the time is right.  Don't rush or worry, just know your work's liked and appreciated!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21