Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61749 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »

Do battles work yet? All I get is a grid with my blobs on it. Then there's nothing to do.

Downloading the new build now btw! :)

Battle simulation is in a basic state at the moment. Regiments will rush foward until they can shoot (if they have a ranged weapon and ammunition left) or melee an enemy. In the latest build I have added numbers and a legend of what blobs represent what regiments and how much strength they have left. Next up for combat is battlefield spells, heroes on the battlefield, morale and charging. And trying to keep the armies more cohesive as they advance unless they have low discipline.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »

Just wanted to let everyone know I am still working on this. So feel free to drop by my site and try out the latest development build and report bugs, make feature wishes, etc. I very much appreciate any input. If you just want to do wishlisting on the forums, and can't be bothered with testing a buggy and quite unfinished game, that's ok too :)

The game is starting to get more playable, but is still quite rough. Graphics are very low priority at the moment, as I want to focus on having a fully playable game before any major prettification work gets done. Would like to either make a map and UI in Unity, or roll my own DirectX based map. Not sure which I will go for yet. There is only extremely basic AI, and combat is very rough - but you can build armies, conquer stuff, conduct slave raids, research and cast spells, send your heroes to steal from neutral realms, explore dungeons, and some random events are also in, but most are not fully implemented yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2013, 06:24:47 pm »

Heh, I've got your blog RSS'd. Haven't been playing (distracted by other things :P), but it's been neat seeing what's coming along. Mostly waiting for more moving parts (spells, wizard types, etc.) to get implemented before I sink some time into it, m'self. Progress has seemed fairly strong, though. Definitely looking forward to the future of the game!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »

Posting to watch, and to say that this looks really cool so far.
Question, is there naval combat yet? I'm sort of a fan of boats, particuraly warships.
Also, will wizards summon boats, or aquatic creatures? Or both?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »

Posting to watch, and to say that this looks really cool so far.
Question, is there naval combat yet? I'm sort of a fan of boats, particuraly warships.
Also, will wizards summon boats, or aquatic creatures? Or both?

Eh, sorry for replying a few months too late. No, there is no naval combat yet. Armies can currently sail through ocean at a speed of one hex per turn, and they will actually fight a normal battle if they encounter each other on the high seas. I guess they have very big decks on those ships :) I do plan to add naval combat, I always loved the Manowar game by Games Workshop with its fantastical ships and magical nautical battles, but there is a lot of stuff to cover first on dry ground, before I can devote time to nautical battles. Further down the line I would like to add underwater mechanics, so there can be underwater realms and creatures, but that's even further out. Deep ones, slumbering monstrosities and sunken, forgotten, cities of impossible design are very near to my heart.

As for boats, I think they will mainly be constructed through old-fashioned means, but I can imagine spells that imbue ships with the power of flight, summoning rituals for giant turtles, etc. Undead pirates. Gotta have those as well. There's a lot that can be done with the oceans, but sadly my time is limited, and I have so much I need to do first.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:03:50 pm by Ludorum Rex »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2013, 10:06:51 pm »

Yeah, I actually made an account on your forum and pointed out a bug after I wrote that, you already fixed it, too.

I haven't played it in a good while, but it's super confusing, and you're doing some good work on it.
The Derail Thread

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2013, 10:08:07 pm »

So how is development going?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2014, 09:44:03 pm »

Necroing because the latest update involves a somewhat wonderful thing! Also: Development is on-going!

But, well. Quote:
Quote from: dev log
I added the code to have task availability depend on other things than class or traits, and to test this added a most glorious task! Inexperienced followers can be tasked with slaying ten rats! A follower who fails badly at this may decide to retire in shame, and a new follower joins your cause (ie the poor fellow re-rolled).

This game is now, perhaps, one of the first I've seen that simulates a starting adventurer failing so badly they pull up a new character sheet. And that it's in-character, played straight, well justified... that's kinda' glorious.

Sooo... what's happened since august, one might ask?
Quests have been added!
The magic system has been expanded on, including onto the battlefield!
There's morale in battle!
More neutral-critters!
There's apparently a 3D battle view, now! (I haven't played since that update, so I have no idea what that entails, haha!)
There's been the first AI iteration implemented!
And you now have minions, instead of just mooks!
Minions you can, among other things, order to go kill rats.
And then some other stuff, but that's the highlights off the RSS feed since august.

Game could probably use some more attention, heh. It seems to be shaping up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:15 pm »

Wow, I should really try to get back into this.
The Derail Thread

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2014, 06:03:04 pm »

Thanks for noticing that I've started picking up a little bit of speed on this after a little hiatus! I must disappoint with the 3D tactical view, though - it isn't done yet, and it is a little bit on hold until I can finish off some more bits of stategic game play - mostly because I was getting a bit burnt out and keeping it fun is important for maintaining a decent rate of progress.

The work in progress 3D rendering stuff is in there however, just not enabled yet - so if the game crashes horribly when launching it, that's probably related to the 3D engine and asset loading.

Anyways, main focus for the next week is followers, and adding a variety of tasks to send them off on. I'll also be adding the exhaust/injury mechanics and multi-turn tasks, since micro-managing followers every single turn will get boring. Might also have some costs associated with certain tasks.

I'll keep on chugging away until it's playable and fun - it's a side project, so progress is not always as fast I would like, but it's really motivating and great that there's a people noticing that work is being done. :)

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2014, 12:48:47 pm »

I checked it out again the other day, and it seems like there's a ton of content but I couldn't figure out how to do anything and it crashed almost immediately.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2014, 09:00:19 am »

so ummm i cant save becuse the save file has no extension and wont let me select one >.>
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:28 am »

This sounds neato, why haven't I seen this topic before?

Also, I've only really read this and the first page.  Is there any reason why Warlord-research and Wizard-research are separate?  Like, couldn't a Warlord employ a Wizard to research spells and vice versa.  Is it just to make each different thing distinctive, and if that's the case, why are they being made as one game when they're three different distinct games?  Is it so that you and your opponents can choose between the three things and duke it out all asymmetrically like that.

U-uh what's it mean that wizards have 'enigmatic' goals.  W-will I not have a goal if I play a wizard?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 05:27:55 am »

Have you played the game? It's very alpha (but still developing over 2 years later, which gets major kudos from me), so try to lower your expectations.
(case in point, research is not separate yet, nor does it do anything I could see)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:46 am »

The newest version (released yesterday), disables game saving/loading until the bugs with saving are worked out.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21