Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61886 times)

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #210 on: December 29, 2016, 05:52:30 pm »

This looks interesting. I've started playing Dominions 4 a bit ago an enjoy it quite a bit. Where can I get a beta key? The Steam page doesn't seem to be up yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 29, 2016, 05:54:50 pm »

I think us unchosen ones are left to wait until january :p
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #212 on: December 29, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »

Drop down boxes, like the difficulty option and everything in detailed game setup, show their contents behind the rest of the page content and are unclickable.

That's an embarrassing bug - I didn't test properly after my tooltip bugfix two days ago (it caused this issue). I have made a fix for the drop down issue, and it'll go out tomorrow with a bunch of other fixes.

This looks interesting. I've started playing Dominions 4 a bit ago an enjoy it quite a bit. Where can I get a beta key? The Steam page doesn't seem to be up yet.

The Steam page should go up in a couple of weeks - I want to squash out the worst bugs and get a bit more progress done before it goes public. There should be a "coming soon" page in the much nearer future.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2016, 05:58:03 pm »

Great big disorganised list of things that need fixing and random thoughts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This all sounds pretty negative but I dig the concept, see what you're going for, and agree that there could potentially be a really neat game in here.  It needs a lot more work before it'll get to that point IMO, and I'd advise holding off on early access for longer if possible.  Releasing it as it is now will likely get you loads of negative reviews from those who expect EA to basically mean 'mid-late beta' and have a negative impact on overall sales.  Look at Clockwork Empires to see how disastrous premature release can be.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2016, 12:32:19 am »

I'd agree that you're gonna want to finish the UI work you're doing well before you release.  It's more playable than it was on the last release but it still doesn't really feel like I'm doing anything, mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd say expanded tooltips and some kind of manual, especially more detailed descriptions of the options I have, is mandatory before release.  There might be a ton of awesome shit already implemented but I have no idea what it is or how to access it.

The thing about cast spell though, the icon disappears because you have no map spells available.  That's a good one to bring up actually, the map spells have no visible effects or anything to indicate they're working.  I used scorched earth on an enemy regiment and nothing happened, I don't even know whether or not the spell cast successfully
Shoes...

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2016, 02:15:56 am »

Thanks for the detailed and honest feedback - I hope to organize and respond to it some time tonight. This also includes getting all the bugs on the known issues list. (btw: I really like the "no tower" idea. It requires some adjustment to mechanics/logic, as a lot of code assumes a wizard either has a tower or has been defeated, it's also a really flavorful concept and will be extremely useful for modding - it is unlikely to be worked on before the UI/graphics push for early access, but it will certainly go into the backlog).

I am pushing out a build with a few bug fixes this morning, including the extremely annoying dropdown bug. It should be on steam in an hour or so.

You are absolutely right that the level of feedback/response in the UI is the biggest blocker at the moment. For example some spells do have placeholder or no effects, but the majority have actual effects, including some of the semi-complicated ones (like the enchanted necklace that slowly turns the wearer feral/mad). There is also a lot happening under the hood that doesn't really get shown anywhere (the effects of city buildings for instance). And finally the victory/quest condition window and more informative/interact-able diplomacy windows are necessary to have a game experience that doesn't just consist of murdering/conquering everything.

There will be a manual, but a goal of the current push is to get the game to a state where someone who doesn't read the manual can readily navigate the UI and "do stuff" with just a small smattering of tutorial hints. Where actions give immediate feedback, and the flow of what to do and what is happening in the world is readily intuitive. As you folks are most likely a lot more tolerant of opaque user interfaces, more in-tune with strategy game mechanics and probably smarter than the average player, that certainly needs to be addressed in order for public early access to result in useful feedback and not so much a horde of angry people who don't read the disclaimers.

I could type more words, but I need to push a build now, get some breakfast and head off to my dayjob. I'll be back tonight with a response giving the detailed feedback the detailed reply it deserves.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2016, 02:50:57 am »

Bug: Got stuck in some diplomatic event.  Windowed mode.

'Follower', emissary in 'town', ended up in a duel due to romance, stupid, or bad luck.
Clicking on any of the 5 options doesn't advance the event and I can't end the turn.
I somehow got that option thing to go away, but it ends up crashing.  (Also, some army I supposedly killed cause they attacked me the turn before was still there?  Or I ambushed em?)

UI needs massive work.
Information/costs on wizard tower add-ons. 
More information/costs when recruiting mercs/workers. 
Ideally, Follower traits should be easier to check out.
Saving doesn't work?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2016, 02:46:58 pm »

Great big disorganised list of things that need fixing and random thoughts.

Answers inside spoiler tags:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Zangi: Noted your bugs, and added those too.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2016, 04:23:12 pm »

No sound?  Would be wise to get this in the game before putting it up for sale.
I have licensing in place for some tracks of generic fantasy music. It's not been high on my priority list, since I tend turn music off in a lot of games, but I'll make sure to put it in. As for sound effects, those are usually pretty decently priced so I should be able to afford some basic ones even on my non-existent budget.

Aye, I'm sure some people don't mind the lack of sound at all.  For me it just feel like something's missing without some background ambience, and even something as simple as a click when ending a turn is useful as feedback that the turn did indeed end.

Possibly far beyond the scope of the game, but how cool would it be to have a mobile 'gandalf type' grey wizard without a tower?
Requires some mechanics changes as the engine assumes all non-defeated wizard have a tower. Will be great for modding. Need to figure out how to balance the loss of the tower. Will it give additional points for traits/research? Should there be unique abilities or traits for a "wandering wizard"? Lots of cool possibilities, but will have to wait for now.

The ur-example for the wandering wizard or magic hedge knight archetype is basically Gandalf, so maybe it'd make sense to think of the way he operates.  Despite having pretty potent magical abilities and being a great physical combatant, I'd argue that his main role is that of a chessmaster.  He accomplishes his goals primarily through others, stacking the deck in his favour through diplomacy, knowledge and his own reputation while having a keen grasp of the strengths of his allies.  In context of your game this could be represented through things like bonuses to diplomacy, an increased number of followers, additional 'favourite followers' (assuming that gives them a bonus), a unique victory condition (possibly relating to artifact found in dungeons), faster research (maybe only 'catch up' research at the towers of allied wizards?), bonuses vs evil etc etc.  Obviously you don't want all of those, just some examples to get you thinking :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

The Grey Mage is already basically exactly that, he just doesn't wander.
Shoes...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 30, 2016, 05:08:06 pm »

The Grey Mage is already basically exactly that, he just doesn't wander.

Kinda, yeah.  It needs to be that but more so, with maybe slightly less focus on actual magic (three types seems to be above the average) and more on followers or other factions.

Even making Call for Heroes unique to wandering classes would do a fair bit to distinguish them and might well be enough.  It'd fit quite well with other potential classes (modded or otherwise) using the same mechanic; say prophets, horde leaders or doomsday cultists.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 30, 2016, 05:27:46 pm »

mm, I think it's perfectly defensible that even "grey wizards" characters should have a base of operations. Even if they spend most of their time manipulating to and forth, it's reasonable to have a sancta-sanctorum to which you can fall back...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 30, 2016, 10:05:29 pm »

... probably should check the official forums, but haven't gotten around to it yet, so... are. Are dungeons not working in the unity/beta version? I think I see their icons on the map (or my memory's off again and I'm mistaking forts or somethin' for dungeon symbols, which is entirely possible), and they sporadically show up in the diplomacy menu,* but if there's a way to throw my lemmings into have my adventurers explodre them, I can't seem to find it.

Other than that, a few immediate things noticed: If it's not something aware of, on 1280x800 windowed (/vista/fastest, if it makes a difference) there's, like... icon overlap. When there's three rows of actions, the top ones'll try to occupy the same space as stuff like cast spell and choose personal guard. Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be possible to let the player just... move that stuff around. Click and drag individual icons around the playing window to suit them.

Some sort of feedback for turn start/confirmation to end turn (note: with the latter, also having some kind of button combination, shift-click, shift-e, whatever, to bypass the confirmation is really nice) would be great, if it's not already planned. Feedback in general when something happens and particularly when something fails definitely feels (even more) lacking (than the non-unity version), though that seems like something noticed and slated for addressing.

At least on my comp it's kinda' hard to tell when a button can or cannot be pressed. There's possibly not enough difference between a recruit button that's this game's equivalent to grayed-out and one that's not. Part of that is almost definitely interaction with f.lux, but even considering that if it's hard to tell under those circumstances it's probably not easy enough to tell without, heh. ... also, while I'd still suck it up and keep trying occasionally during the beta/EA period and I'm not sure it's actually something worth considering design wise 'cause I'm not sure how many people are in a similar situation, a game that's hard to play without f.lux (or an equivalent) being off/with it being on is a game I won't actually play for fun. Used to eye-soothing screen filter to the point without actually kinda' hurts these days, particularly in lights-off condition which for me is pretty much always, electricity yadda yadda. Bit more difference between the coloration of a functioning and non-functioning button would be nice, basically.

Some kind of undo button for army movement would probably be nice, heh, if I didn't just miss it.

You can apparently inspect armies you don't know the composition of and... see the composition in the army inspection screen thingjigger.

... and that's about all I got tonight, I think. Only got 15 or so turns in until I lost the will to keep poking at it until dungeons started being exploited, heh. Mostly because it's late, the will will come back later :V though on that note, if minion command repeat isn't intended for implementation/re-implementation please please please please please add it (back) on to the list. Having to personally kick minions out of bed when they're done hiding under a blanket waiting for their face to regenerate from the last dungeon run/exploration mission/whatever will get very old very very quickly, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2016, 03:49:02 am »

It seems like buttons get randomly disabled as I play.  Right nwo the menu doesn't work and I'm unable to inspect neutral settlements, making diplomacy impossible.

Aside from tooltips and such I really think a manually laying out all of the things I can do is the top priority.  There's a lot of shit I have no idea how to even attempt to do to find the tooltips.

Still, I'm pretty hype, if half the stuff you've claimed is actually in the game then when the bugs get polished it could be really fun even at this early stage. 

Are planes implemented, like are they generated as described in the encyclopedia and can you actually go there?

I want to do the Black Company Deadman Enchantment.  I want to open a portal to a plane of infinite fcuk and then immediately seal it with an enchantment that'll unravel when I die so if anybody kills me I take the whole world with me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:57:54 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 01, 2017, 08:25:01 am »

I find the game really really intriguing... I suspect that for similar reasons than the others here because historically we have been interested in similar games.

I've been a bit confused by the interface, havent had a chance to test last nights update
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21