Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21

Author Topic: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game  (Read 61467 times)

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
Re: Wizards and Warlords - Indie Turn-Based Fantasy 4X Strategy Game
« Reply #225 on: January 01, 2017, 08:34:02 am »

It seems like buttons get randomly disabled as I play.  Right nwo the menu doesn't work and I'm unable to inspect neutral settlements, making diplomacy impossible.

Aside from tooltips and such I really think a manually laying out all of the things I can do is the top priority.  There's a lot of shit I have no idea how to even attempt to do to find the tooltips.

Still, I'm pretty hype, if half the stuff you've claimed is actually in the game then when the bugs get polished it could be really fun even at this early stage. 

Are planes implemented, like are they generated as described in the encyclopedia and can you actually go there?

I want to do the Black Company Deadman Enchantment.  I want to open a portal to a plane of infinite fcuk and then immediately seal it with an enchantment that'll unravel when I die so if anybody kills me I take the whole world with me.

Yeah, the current build is actually pretty buggy, and I am working hard to stabilize and iron out the slew of bugs reported by the beta testers. Once Early Access becomes public the stability can't regress in this fashion, and it's been a humbling lesson that when I don't have dedicated internal testers, I need to step up my regression testing even if it eats a bit into my development time.

As for planes - they are currently in a very early stage of implementation, not much beyond a randomly generated set of traits and relations to various parts of the mythos/cosmos. The plan for planes is to progress from this to

1) being a source of events that based on the properties of the plane - ie relevant invasion/incursion events, corruption/taint, planar characters seeking employment/causing havoc/offering trades.

2) being a proper offmap location, possibly with nested sublocation, where planar travel allows the "main world" factions (player, rivals, neutrals, ancient evils, dungeon bosses, etc) to send over minions to explore/conquer/trade/pillage etc.

3) being represented through a proper map - this might not be possible for all planes (eg a mutable dreamscape that changes according to the visitor's emotional state might not be well-represented by a flat map), but should be an option for some players - probably in combination with the offmap location mechanic. The main challenge here is to make sure having multiple maps being simulated doesn't bog down performance to an unacceptable degree.

But again, work on all these cool things (which are pretty fun to work on) must wait until the usability and stability is at an acceptable level. Otherwise no one will be to interact with it anyway.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2017, 12:57:56 am »

Is diplomacy working?  And if so, how to do?  Last game, I had two Independent states at 100/100 ally, but saw no real difference (except maybe their Volunteer armies not attacking me, which I guess is something).  Note that playing as Evil Alignment.  Although, it also seemed that my unit recruits increased, so maybe something occurred there too?

Speaking of which, is it possible to customize troops?  I didn't see any options, and I researched a lot of spells.  If its locked behind a trait, building, or player type (aka warlord-only), that should be clear.

What do outposts do?  Currently, I didn't see anything, although I also didn't have any villages/towns under my control (I thought maybe my allies would do something).

Ultimately, it would be nice to know what the traits on heroes do.  Some seem mandatory, some seem flavor.

IDEA: Revamp the Alignment system to be based upon the player's actions, with perhaps the zero-cost alignment being a push (and thus worth a point) rather than an absolute.  For example, a player that engages in conquest and researches necromancy should see their alignment going evil.  A player that kills marauders and researches light magic should see their alignment going good.  And the good player should be able to take over/build villages without having to conquering them (although a little conquest can be redeemed via more beast slaying).

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2017, 01:00:26 pm »

Is diplomacy working?  And if so, how to do?  Last game, I had two Independent states at 100/100 ally, but saw no real difference (except maybe their Volunteer armies not attacking me, which I guess is something).  Note that playing as Evil Alignment.  Although, it also seemed that my unit recruits increased, so maybe something occurred there too?

It is working at a very basic level. The system currently operates with Relations, Fear, Respect and Hate - the latter only being applicable to major powers. It mostly affects the AI behavior (who to attack or not attack, whether to recruit more troops, etc.) and doesn't offer a great many opportunities yet. The ability to interact diplomatically, with the usual strategy game options of making demands, suggesting deals, annexing, etc. is something that is yet to be fully implemented. But it is planned for Q1 of 2017.

Speaking of which, is it possible to customize troops?  I didn't see any options, and I researched a lot of spells.  If its locked behind a trait, building, or player type (aka warlord-only), that should be clear.

Yes, there are two ways to create custom units. One is constructs (golems, undead monstrosities, etc.) - where you customize material, power source, armament, and a couple of other options. The available options depend on your research. The button to do this is on the Military window (where you also recruit new units). The tool tip should tell you what research you are missing (at the moment: Minor Golems. The second option is customized units of "regular" soldiers. There was UI for this early in the alpha, and the underlying code is fully functional. I have some pending design work in deciding what research/traits/player type unlocks this. It was rather overpowered when any number of custom units could be made, so there needs to be some limitations and/or cost. Wizards have the ability to use Marks (e.g. Lesser Mark of Thunder) which are unlocked through research and gives some abilities and/or bonuses to unit stats, for increased recruitment/maintenance cost.

What do outposts do?  Currently, I didn't see anything, although I also didn't have any villages/towns under my control (I thought maybe my allies would do something).

In the live version they expand your controlled territory, allowing you to build other structures. For example, you find a hex with Gold Ore. You can then build an outpost next to it, and then a mine on the Gold Ore afterwards. In the next patch* I have added the ability to upgrade Outposts to Fortresses. There will be more functionality coming for Outposts and Fortresses - and visual indicators of control making it easier to see where building stuff is a good idea.

Ultimately, it would be nice to know what the traits on heroes do.  Some seem mandatory, some seem flavor.

Yes, tool tips for traits is on the road map. Additionally, when I get to improving character progression, I will also rework/expand the trait system, adding an explicit distinction between skills/abilities, personality traits and background/story traits. It will also be easier to distinguish when there are proper icons for the traits.

IDEA: Revamp the Alignment system to be based upon the player's actions, with perhaps the zero-cost alignment being a push (and thus worth a point) rather than an absolute.  For example, a player that engages in conquest and researches necromancy should see their alignment going evil.  A player that kills marauders and researches light magic should see their alignment going good.  And the good player should be able to take over/build villages without having to conquering them (although a little conquest can be redeemed via more beast slaying).

This is a tough one - on one hand it feels wrong that a wizard with the 'Good' trait can enact a genocidal reign of terror without losing the trait, on the other hand it's difficult to track alignment through actions without making it easy to abuse. I do agree that having alignment be tied to the actual game play is a good thing, but I also want to give players the opportunity to establish a good/evil persona from beginning of the game, and have that choice provide additional options, as well as constraints. Currently there are event choices not available to various alignments, and it also affects how the AI acts toward a faction.

A possible way to have both would be to have the trait place the player firmly towards an alignment at the beginning of the game and restricting access to certain options - even if the alignment has slipped to neutral or beyond. In this way the trait choice indicates an intrinsic alignment - a fundamental connection to good/evil, but as separate concept from good/evil as a reputation.

I'd also like to add the classical Law/Chaos axis to the system, but it's one of those things I've had to put off while I improve the fundamentals of the game. Alignment and reputation is definitely an area I will expand upon, and I look forward to doing so.

* Expected release of the next patch is in 1-2 days time
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 01:02:06 pm by Ludorum Rex »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2017, 05:30:35 pm »

As a hopefully temporary measure, you could just slap a list of the current character traits and what they do (if anything) onto the website. 

Some games never even bother getting around to the in-game tool tips, but hopefully you'll come back to it eventually.

Fast and cheap documentation would probably aid in both play-testing and advertising.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2017, 05:36:24 am »

This may have already been reported but if you select a wizard and then quit to main menu while the game is loading and then try to start a new game the list of wizard types will be duplicated. This repeats if you quit out multiple times. I also can't seem to progress beyond "Generating cultures". I'm on osx if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:38:14 am by Emma »

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2017, 02:16:18 pm »

This may have already been reported but if you select a wizard and then quit to main menu while the game is loading and then try to start a new game the list of wizard types will be duplicated. This repeats if you quit out multiple times. I also can't seem to progress beyond "Generating cultures". I'm on osx if that makes any difference.

That is very useful feedback! The duplicate wizard type bug has been reported, but I hadn't been able reproduce it yet. As for the progress bug, I don't have an OSX development machine yet to test on, but from your description, I have good idea what to fix. Making sure the game is playable on OSX and Linux is a priority.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2017, 10:19:22 pm »

So there's been a few updates since I last posted and the duplicating wizard bug is fixed (yay!) but the game still doesn't progress beyond "Generating Cultures"/95% when loading. I tried to make a custom map and load that once and it said it got to 100% but after that it went nowhere, it was still stuck on the loading screen.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2017, 12:52:35 am »

Sorry to hear that and thanks for trying it out again. I really need to get Linux and MacOS test machines set up, so I can investigate this locally. I'll send you a message when I have confirmed that it works as expected on MacOS.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »

Game seems to lock up after destroying rival wizard's tower.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2017, 06:13:23 pm »

Heeey. Was approaching the point of actually getting an account of whathaveyou on the mentioned forum for bug reporting. Played a bit yesterday, biggest thing I noticed was that the party/dungeon UI stuff (including the resend party after completion) seems rather incredibly borked. Already forgot the details (save that it involved a lot of empty parties and the resend option just kinda' not working), but yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:27 am »

Thanks for the feedback and testing. There's a new build coming up sometime before Monday, so I'll be sure to get those two bugs fixed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »

Yeah, noticed it popped up. Definitely changed the buggy bits of the dungeon/party thing, but it... didn't really fix it. Anyway, here's some initial testing of the latest update. Might wait for the next update to try again, heh, or at least try with a quick start and default wizard type instead of fiddling with world creation parameters and custom critters, ehehe.

Spoiler: Spoilered for length (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contrast (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Howdyneighbor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Littlemessy (click to show/hide)

E: Few other things before I turn in for the night, spoilered just to keep things separate. Oddly enough, a second run had the dungeons and party waiting and whatnot working much more smoothly than the first one, despite it being the same version and everything. Couldn't say why. As a side note, I think I may actually hate your X cursor icon thing at this point :V
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

E2: Bit more from a morning session. Spoilered again for separation... and a bit of length, this time.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:44:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2017, 11:45:11 am »

Thanks for the awesome and detailed bug reports. You even manage to bring a smile to my face in your description of the issues, which is really not the default facial expression of a programmer reading a bug report, let alone a whole bunch of them. I'll get to work fixing them asap.

Interestingly there is actually code which modifies the chance of (or preventing/mandating) certain traits for different types of characters. So the chaste succubus is a bug. A male succubus should as you point out, be called an incubus, but there isn't full support for gender-specific class names yet. Until then I'll leave it up to the imagination whether it is transgender, an incorrectly named incubus or perhaps of an ambiguous or flexible gender.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 28, 2017, 12:14:10 am »

Hey, happy to help, and glad there was some enjoyment in the stuff, too. Gods know when I'll get distracted again, but at the mo' poking around and finding bugs/playing the game is pretty enjoyable.

E: And a bit more before I head off to pick up groceries. Incidentally, this game just became one of about three or four (non-clicker/incremental) games I've encountered that involved numbers expressed in exponential, hohoho. Other two I can remember off the top of my head were Portralis (colloquially known as "Power Creep, the Roguelike") and ToME, heh.

Spoiler: For separation, again (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: shy armor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: market meltdown (click to show/hide)

E2: Eh, won't double post. Noticed the update, ehehe. Started in on it... probably go for a bit more, but it's getting late, my stomach has decided murder-suicide is a grand idea, and I'm rather exhausted to boot, heh. So I'll drop the latest batch off -- there's a couple from .72, but I can't remember noticing mention of it in the changelog, so they're in there, too. Good chunk of stuff's working better, I'm pretty sure (but not entirely sure, since my cognitive functions are rapidly going to pot at the moment and I can't really remember what I poked at that did work right, instead of the rest of it, right now) which is definitely nice. Hope it helps track down more stuff!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 11:19:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2017, 08:41:55 am »

Awesome feedback as always, Frumple, and I'm chipping away at the bugs. I'm a bit embarrassed at the recurrent dungeon/party issues (if it is more stable than a few versions ago), so will make sure to give that a thorough look.

About the weirdness you encountered late-game in one of your test runs, that's probably (partly) caused by an ancient evil becoming active. It's supposed to be apocalyptic and weird, but messing with turn updates and causing mid-turn hex reveals is probably a bit too meta. So I'll spend some time stabilizing that as well.

Good points about the "conditions" (blight/enchanted/etc.) needing to affect resource production. It does affect mines actually - necrotite will be added to the output of blighted hex mines, etc. But the entire resource production aspect need a small overhaul - the workers in the tower having resource production relevant to the upgrades is good idea, and a way to transition to an improved production interface/model. I'll add that and extend the idea to other upgrades (f.x. workers giving more gold if you have a bazaar)

You're also very right about the usability issues with resource sites, enchanted items, etc.

Lots of stuff to address, so I better get back to it. And get well - murder-suicide stomach sounds nasty.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21