Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Should ToadyOne accept bitcoin donations.  (Read 12215 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Should ToadyOne accept bitcoin donations.
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:06 am »

BitCoins are not a stock, nor is up trending.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Boea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2012, 08:57:07 am »

Well alright. It has been seen to have been trending upwards in October.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:00:15 am by Boea »

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2012, 09:22:14 am »

$.30
Sub-dollar amounts: you're doing it wrong.
Well then, you keep saying that you can have something to offset value, but it doesn't have the same value as the actual service or product you can buy with it, and that it is silly to associate the currency/medium with the actual value in service/product.

Hasn't that happened in the past with hyperinflation? Hasn't that happened in the past with most if not all currencies?

Couldn't you simply cash in the artwork through commissions into a more useful medium?
[ EDIT ] The basis of any currency, or even the economy is that people will do x [service] to get y [something associated with value], or use y [something associated with value] to get x [services], or y1 [something associated with value].
I don't get what hasn't what happened in this post, but I'm not charging for drawings. And anyway, bitcoins are still useless even if they're a real currency (which they apparently are). There's still a ton of crap that nobody would trade. It's like donating in empty cans: "no, Toady, you can convert them to real money at any self-respecting bottle depot!".

Then there's Austrian economics. All I can say about Austria is that the hostel in Vienna serves buns and Nutella for breakfast which is excellent.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2012, 12:53:33 pm »

All I can say about Austria is that they were bloody useless in any war they fought together with Germany. And in the one against Germany too. Vienna's a nice city though; I wouldn't want to live there, but it's good for spending a few days.

And Austrian/Keynesian/whatever economics has nothing to do with the value of money right now - money's worth as much as the stuff you can buy with it. Donating in empty cans is perfectly valid if you can swap them in, it's just slightly impractical ;)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »

I can generally give two reasons.

One. Paypal has disallowed services for over 60 countries, apparently.
Two. Bitcoin is an upward trending stock item, donations in bitcoin is more or less free stock, which can be cashed in for a reasonable sum, or left to the machines of the stock exchange.
Toady also doesn't accept Stocks, so therefore this argument is invalid.

Plus, He wants only he can use backed by things that exist. He doesn't have the time to go around "investing" in bitcoins.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 03:50:04 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »

If you want to donate to Toady convert your bitcoins to real money.  What's so confusing about that?

Yeah, but money isn't dwarfy. Useless, yet valuable (bit)coins are!
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2012, 01:27:37 pm »

If you want to donate to Toady convert your bitcoins to real money.  What's so confusing about that?

Yeah, but money isn't dwarfy. Useless, yet valuable (bit)coins are!

Plebes, fancy coins are useless, hand over the picks and axes! They shall make more wealth than any coins can!

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2012, 01:50:37 pm »

Is accepting donation an investment? I dont get it, to investn dont you have to first put some money in?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2012, 02:12:05 pm »

Is accepting donation an investment? I dont get it, to investn dont you have to first put some money in?

It is, indirectly, you're investing into the system that the currency circulates through when you uses the currency. And the donators would view it as an investment to ensure that the creator is being kept well and encouraged. Instability of currency exchanges and price values can reflect similar kind of trust investment as stock market can, however the risk is massively spread and fairly minor with stable system.

You don't necessarily have to put your money into a system to invest it, but to have some value in the system using it :D

Matt_S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2012, 03:26:10 pm »

Plus, He wants oney he can use backed by things that exist.
Oh god my sides.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2012, 03:28:09 pm »

Plus, He wants oney he can use backed by things that exist.
Oh god my sides.
GHOSTS DON EXITS?????????
My wooden badge was delicious.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:30 pm »

I'd totally invest in a currency backed by ghosts. Quick everyone, which is better: Ghosts or zombies?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2012, 04:15:39 pm »

I'd totally invest in a currency backed by ghosts. Quick everyone, which is better: Ghosts or zombies?

Zombies. They'll thump on people and terrorize them, ghosts are so passe and half of them don't even do anything but groans. Oh and so easy to put down, you'd be better off trading slabs!

Invest in zombies, have eternal resource :D

I'll even throw in some secret of life and death to help your investment!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]