Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11950 times)

Shaolin ToFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:10 pm »

A friend showed me minecraft late 2010. I kind of liked it, but didn't feel like paying for it, so when I got home I googled/wikied for similar things that were free. Stumbled upon DF, got kinda interested, read boatmurdered and decided I should try it out. I am still glad I did, love this game!
You have struck microcline!

Eurynomos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:09 am »

OnefJef.
Got into it when he did the adventure mode let's play. I looked through it some more and got fully into it. I'm also kinda surprised at the amount of people who got to DF through TvTropes. Then again, the DF page on TvTropes has a lot of tropes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:16 am »

It's more that many Tropes mention DF, which is how people get to the page in the first place.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »

It's more that many Tropes mention DF, which is how people get to the page in the first place.

And a lot of them don't apply or are based on false info...

like that "megabeast immunity" stuff.

Or alcohol exploding.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:12 pm »

I was playing a MUSH (a sort of online roleplay community, a bit like a game done all in text to explain in the simplest terms for those who may not know). Actually at the time we were more socializing than anything, and one of the others had been really quiet for a while. Suddenly she burst into a half amused rant about how her dwarves kept having tantrums because they didn't have dog skin to make something out of. And how she was having a problem keeping her dwarves from starving to death.

It sounded interesting, this game she was playing. At the time I didn't have a very good computer for such things, so I waited until I had a better one, oh, about a couple years ago. Then I started to try to play, having remembered DF because it sounded both complex and yet really innovative. It took me quite a while to figure out how to play, but I haven't regretted playing.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »

I was looking up the brand new physics engines of a certain select games and what not, when I perchanced across a matrix-like simulation of water meeting magma.
The simulator running this was called... Dwarf Fortress.
What ensued could only be described as a rampant downwards spiral of addiction, alcohol and the phobia of cats.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

TvTropes.

The word catsplosion made me interested.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 07:28:35 pm »

I like to think that Dwarf Fortress found me.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 09:50:07 pm »

TvTropes.

Yep. I recall hearing about it in passing I think in youtube videos like the Yogscast, but what really got my attention was finding mention of it while trying to crawl my way out of browsing TVTropes one morning.

I forget where exactly I got to the DF trope page, but I recall one of the main factors was the sheer Video Game Cruelty Potential and the crazy ways you could achieve it in-game. mention of a goblin meat grinder that abused invading AI by "telepathically" locking and unlocking doors so that they keep running up and down a corridor of pointy sticks really sealed my interest. Also stuff like dwarves with no limbs hauling rocks around their whole life, or engraving, or biting a master goblin swordsman's torso off in one hit probably helped too.

Then I found the Boatmurdered archive, and that just completely sealed my interest in goblin-bone encrusted, elephant-scented obsidian.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 11:10:07 pm »

Minecraft.
+1
Same.
This
Same for me. Notch said Minecraft drew inspiration from DF. I was bored of Minecraft. (I'm still bored of Minecraft, btw.) As a result, I went and looked up DF. I downloaded vanilla, started the game, and...

... wondered if somebody had played a practical joke on me. ASCII? Really?

A little while later I found Boatmurdered, ate it up, and reapproached DF with fresh eyes. I made it to the clowns without ever consulting the wiki. And... I've been hooked ever since.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:52:31 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

zarniwoop

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 11:25:34 pm »

A friend at work told me I'd love it because I'm always rattling on about how much console gaming has ruined the market.

I was not prepared for this much awesome.

I will be a regular donator until I'm dead.

And I can't even get past the first winter yet (I had a small problem with everyone starving).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 11:30:23 pm by zarniwoop »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 11:37:32 pm »

just have everyone farmers. with a pick for a migrant.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »

I learned it just from a few Youtubers mentioning it on and off, so I found a video on it and my first thought was
"Oh, its one of those games...."
At first I did't even think of it as a game, rather as a "tool" that paved the way for other things, like Minecraft.

All I can say is that, at some point, I saw a video of it in my sub-box from a Minecraft player, and he explained all about world generation, and history and legends, etc. After that, it was like I saw it with new eyes. Other then a video explaining DF, genning a world and embarking, I learnt the whole game from the ground up, no tutorials. I only kept going because, just from that video explaining world and genning and the way the world worked, I was aware of the prize at the end of the tunnel. And I had a lot of free time. Luckily im one of those people who learns things really quickly and I had the baisics down in about 3 days. After that there was nothing that could stop me. I was especialy hooked when I got military down. Another thing about this game that got me hooked is that its the only game, were, well, I accepted losing as a mechanic of the game. It was "FUN", if you will.

s'yeh
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »

Oh, I just remembered my first fort, which firmly places my start time before 31.17.

I embarked on top of a human town, you see. They took care of invaders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11