Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11883 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: How did YOU find Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

My friend saw DF on one of old Yahoo's "Top 10" lists (in this case it was "Top 10 Best Free Games") back in late 2006. He of course picked the game up immediately and (since my family was a mac family) regaled me with crazy stories of his fortresses until finally Toady came out with a mac version of DF back in February 2008, which I immediately downloaded. He's long been gone from the DF community, but I'm still hanging on. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2012, 03:31:33 pm »

I saw Dwarf Fortress listed as in inspiration to Minecraft looked it up on TV Tropes, found the wiki from there. Then I watched DJ Fogey's tutorial and then I was set.
Unf.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 03:37:00 am »

Quote from: Eek-A-Mouse on November 26, 2012, 10:51:55 pm

Yipes.  When did you stop playing UO?  I left that game over a decade ago now.

On topic, Boatmurdered.  I remember reading the story and looking at the pictures at the same time and thinking "WTF are these guys on".

Around 2009 maybe. I started around 2006 with a Samurai Empire box I found in a discount bin. I never knew the glory days of UO, but I had a lot of fun with an RP community there.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 04:01:38 am »

Quote from: Eek-A-Mouse on November 26, 2012, 10:51:55 pm

Yipes.  When did you stop playing UO?  I left that game over a decade ago now.

On topic, Boatmurdered.  I remember reading the story and looking at the pictures at the same time and thinking "WTF are these guys on".

Around 2009 maybe. I started around 2006 with a Samurai Empire box I found in a discount bin. I never knew the glory days of UO, but I had a lot of fun with an RP community there.

That's cool the community kept things alive for so long.  (Official servers or fan run?  I'm curious as to how UO turned out :) )  Lucky for us the golden age of DF shall never end!  Seriously, since knowing about DF the game just keeps getting better.  I've never known a game like this.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 06:27:02 am »

I.. don't remember actually..

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 06:35:36 am »

Read a PCGamer article about it back in 2D.
I liked the fact that dwarves generated miasma when they died, i think.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 05:15:40 pm »

Then I watched DJ Fogey's tutorial and then I was set.
Same, I watched the first few baisic tuts from him, and im the only one I know that watched him.
Until now......
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »

Random game question thread from /v/; "How do you cog power to a pump stack? I'm trying to bring magma up to the surface from the magma sea." It piqued my interest and googling the entire question brought me to Boatmurdered in short order.

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2012, 05:30:24 am »

In Soviet Russia, Dwarf Fortress finds YOU!

Seriously, that is what happened.
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:40 am »

I have no idea. It's almost like I was born with DF.

overlord urist mcdwarfpie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2012, 06:07:35 pm »

the pure epicness of dwarf fortress!!  and minecraft :D

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2012, 06:18:04 pm »

Linked from Abandonia.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2012, 06:46:19 pm »

My friend talked about it over Steam chat back in 2008, I think, and I had to get in on the action because the conversation made me think I was missing out on yet another awesome game they never invite me to (and I was). I avoided the forum like the plague (because internet forums made me squick back then) for another year and thus my learning experience consisted of pestering him to feed me information and attempting to decipher the wiki. It was a slow and horrifying process with much Fun involved.

In two days it'll be my 3rd anniversary as a forumite! Hurrah!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:32 pm »

Desura.

I started fucking with it on a free day in China only to get overwhelmed--nothing got done. At all. A few days later, I told a friend about the game, and he linked me to Boatmurdered. After finishing reading that, I read pretty much the WHOLE Wiki. That was a week-long process. Then, I started playing. But for REAL.

And I have since created a Desura group the currently boasts 162 members. Some of those members play DF regularly and got turned onto B12 because I told them about it. Pretty epic little journey, really.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11