Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How to Avoid Dying Embarrasingly in Liberal Crime Squad (and other LCS queries)  (Read 13924 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

My leader is out, now he can't fight EVIL or anything.
Well, he can raise money via selling brownies or check polls to see how conservative the country is getting...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As has been stated, he can't go forth because he/she isn't in a squad.

[R]eview your liberals and make a new squad (maybe Z?) from there, then add your founder.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It worked.
I got a new follower, freed some random lab animals, stole something, and saw a newspaper with two identical spa ads next to each other. It's going fairly well.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It worked.
I got a new follower, freed some random lab animals, stole something, and saw a newspaper with two identical spa ads next to each other. It's going fairly well.

Just make sure you're careful with weak squads. If you're going to do crime and won't be able to fight yourself out of a place, you'll want to stay within running distance to the exit. If you free lab animals and suddenly are confronted by a Security Guard on your way out, you could end up getting shot, so be careful.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

What kind of followers did you focus on getting? I usually start off with a couple hippies (one of them should have tailoring, the other can be a programmer or whatever has computer skills), hookers and high-stat mutants in nightmare mode (I had one whose charisma even rivaled mine after some levelling).

Then I use the hookers and mutants to get some sleeper agents at select locations, notably the court house Halls of Ultimate Judgment (sic).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just picked up anyone who would listen to me, basically.
How do you find mutants and hippies and stuff, anyways?
Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hippies can be found at the juice bar and vegan coop. Mutants can be found at C+ pollution and/or radiation laws I believe? Anyways they turn up quite often at the crack house and police station.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just about anyone can be found at the Latte Stand and the Park.

Mutants can rarely show up at C Pollution & Nuclear Power, IIRC, but are much more likely at C+ for either or, better still, both.  (They're one of the perks of Nightmare Mode.)  Crack House is one source but the Homeless Shelter (send a squad to cause (T)rouble and you can explore it in site-action mode) is a good source and much safer.

For the record, Mutants have skewed stats--it's possible to get a Mutant with all 1s.  I have a screenshot of one that happened to me.  Take the time to do a whole "interview" (each meeting, you get more/better info on their stats & skills) before recruiting anyone in the early going.

Once you have a few Urban Commandoes (that's a Liberal Rank, not a character class, =200-500 Juice; each can have 3 recruits IIRC) I'd recommend starting to look for recon!Sleepers.  A lowly Office Worker or Janitor won't have much effect when Promoting Liberalism, and may not steal much...but xe can provide you the complete-to-the-minute-your squad-walks-in* map of the (say) Corp HQ where xe works, including target and loot locations.

[I'm known for recruiting rebellious Teenagers who are bored with their pampered, 1%, CEO Castle lifestyle.  Stand with the 99% and become a super-cool, sexy, & glamorous spy for the LCS!  All you have to do is keep us updated on where the expensive stuff is, and we'll agree not to steal tax your game console when we come through!  You won't even notice us, really, given the Expensive Suits and Disguise skills.  Sometimes Daddy** doesn't even notice either...until that day's Liberal Guardian comes out, at least.]

*Sending two squads to the same location on the same day is two fully separate actions.  Your stealth squad cannot scout loot locations nor pre-unlock doors for the combat squad, but the gross physical map (rooms, door/target locations, and whether/not a given door starts locked) remains the same.  But any alarm will be reset, and there may be more or less loot for the second squad.

**Never have had a Female-identifying CEO.  Pretty sure that's coded in, but would love to be wrong!

Knowing that there are fabulous prizes behind Door #2 but not Door #3 (but that Door #1 is a long dead-end) is powerful information when you don't yet have Stealth & Disguise maxed.  You could make manual maps, but any time a facility Closes Down or changes its name, the map changes.  Sleepers will auto-update you when this happens.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CEO's are AlwaysMale, iirc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem to be doing fairly well, only one death and thirteen recruits. I do have some injuries.

However, I have no idea what to do next. Suggestions? How can I promote the Liberal Agenda?
Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A printing press is always useful. Have your sleepers snoop around for a bit. The less effective ones should keep promoting liberalism though. Start training your skills. The crack house is a safe bet for security, and you can train stealth and disguise just fine in most places that require some sort of disguise to not raise suspicion.

For money, have somebody commit credit card fraud to level up their computer skill, and make clothes. Expensive suits and dresses usually generate good income if you sell them. If you want to boost somebody's persuasion, have them solicit for donations. Gets you money and trains the skill.

Once you have a reliable income, have your squad members train skills at college. Law is good fro your leader (for an easy way out of a guilty sentence). It takes long to make it worthwhile, but once you have, you don't have to worry about your sleeper lawyer's skills for him at least. Have one or two of your most skilled members train teaching. Once that's high enough, you can easily and relatively cheaply pass on their disguise, persuasion etc. skills on your other squad members.

Make sure you don't go all out in crimes until you have a sleeper inside the police station and CEO HQ etc. Raids are nasty and a sure way to losing squad members. Your sleepers should keep you informed with enough time to get the hell out of your safehouse.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I'll try to keep that in mind. The police raided my compound (of course), killing a couple of us, blowing the head off another (who ran down the hall thereafter...???); a few squad members got out of the Clinic the next day, including the founder. Current squad status: Four activable liberals,  two in the clinic, and three that are "away."
Um, I think I must be on an older version of LCS or something, because I can't figure out how to commit credit card fraud or get to the pawn shop or anything...Is the one here[/urk] up-to-date?
Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you check the sticky you'll noticed that the game has already moved on to 4.06

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...That explains a lot.
Updating game! Well, replacing. Whatever.
Sig

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A printing press is always useful. Have your sleepers snoop around for a bit. The less effective ones should keep promoting liberalism though. Start training your skills. The crack house is a safe bet for security, and you can train stealth and disguise just fine in most places that require some sort of disguise to not raise suspicion.
FWIW, if someone lays low, their effectiveness tends to go up over time.  Lay low for a year or so and you ought to at least get 30-40% Effectiveness.  When Promoting Liberalism both is pro-rated by your current Effectiveness (50% Effectiveness means your effect on the issues was just halved) and reduces your Effectiveness in the bargain, having low-Effectiveness people promote you seems ineffective at best.

The Apartments provide as safe a place as possible to train Security.  If you stay in the hall, the only way anything can go sour is picking a lock with an encounter right there watching you.  So, don't pick doors with an encounter present, and don't actually enter any apartments.  If your picker's current skill is 1-2, go to the Projects, 3-4 to the Uni Apartments, 4-6 to the Downtown Apartments, and after that you have a pretty good shot at any door.  Wait until 8-10 to go after safes.

As for infiltration: the sweatshop accepts Naked as a disguise, typically has plenty of Cloth to steal, and Juicy machinery to smash; and Black Robes boost Stealth, are valid Courthouse disguises, and are fairly easy to make.  Those are my two go-to places for training infiltrators.  Factories are another good spot due to the melee-only Nonunion Workers, rampant Machinery, and comparative ease of making Work Clothes.
For money, have somebody commit credit card fraud to level up their computer skill, and make clothes. Expensive suits and dresses usually generate good income if you sell them. If you want to boost somebody's persuasion, have them solicit for donations. Gets you money and trains the skill.
Soliciting donations really doesn't generate that much money, though all else being equal it's fairly safe.  But my 21 Charisma/21 Persuade Elite Liberal in an Expensive Suit still only makes $2-3/day soliciting donations.  If you've juiced & trained the people with a few points of Street Sense, I'd recommend Selling Brownies--it trains Persuade, Street Sense, and Business, makes decent money, and provides a valuable good to the community.  If the Death Squads aren't around, anyone with Agility 10+ can generally escape the Police.
Once you have a reliable income, have your squad members train skills at college. Law is good fro your leader (for an easy way out of a guilty sentence). It takes long to make it worthwhile, but once you have, you don't have to worry about your sleeper lawyer's skills for him at least. Have one or two of your most skilled members train teaching. Once that's high enough, you can easily and relatively cheaply pass on their disguise, persuasion etc. skills on your other squad members.
You could also get meetings with Lawyers (or, better, Liberal Judges) and talk about issues for months on end.  High skills from whoever you meet with rub off on the Liberal over time.  Takes months, if not years, but it's not like you're short on time and those can train Liberals up to the person's own skill.  Teaching caps at (teacher's_skill)-1.  I've found that Liberals teaching other Liberals get Teaching XP fast enough that I hadn't known there was a Teaching course at the uni.  (Never looked for one.  Teaching Politics is only $20/day.)
Make sure you don't go all out in crimes until you have a sleeper inside the police station and CEO HQ etc. Raids are nasty and a sure way to losing squad members. Your sleepers should keep you informed with enough time to get the hell out of your safehouse.
FWIW having more sleepers increases the chance that any one sleeper will issue a raid warning.  I'd recommend 3-5 people inside the Police, along with any other place you'd be interested in advance intel.  Same with sleeper judges: if you only have one, xe can't hear all your cases.  Having four or five gives much better coverage.  Exception is the sleeper Lawyer: only your best is available, but xe always is.  If you don't like xyr stats, give xyr some easy cases (Vandalism, Theft, etc) to provide some XP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5