Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69841 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [Recruiting 2-4 new overseers!]
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:21 pm »

I wrestled a black bear to death!? Holy crap! My dwarf is BOSS! :P

Yep, I watched it happen. It was during the siege. You ended up choking it to death by putting it in a headlock or something. I was more focused on keeping the fort alive, but the bear died, and you had no weapons on you.

On another note, want a turn? Cause we really need the overseers. The fort is in pretty good shape when I left it.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 29, 2013, 02:27:39 pm »

I would take a turn, however i dont know how to post a save, and i dont have a lot of experience.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:33 pm »

I would take a turn, however i dont know how to post a save, and i dont have a lot of experience.

It is not particularily difficult to do, just takes a bit of time.

First off, to export/import the save, what you need to do is get a version of DF that is the same (as we are running 34.11 in Lakebones, skip this step).

Secondly, you need to replace the region files from the save, when it is posted. The region files are under the data folder in your DF install (For windows, i dunno how it works for Macs). I recommend keeping a copy of your old region file (as it does contain your previous saves), but basically just paste the save folder into region 1 or whatever (after extracting the Existing files in there). If you clear the region 1 folder out before this, and you see a whole bunch of files that look similar and arent very large, yep, you did it right).

Thirdly, when you play, just write down what happens to the fort. I have seen many different styles of writing, and i say that diaries are the easiest, and often, most entertaining, way of saying what happens in the fort. Take pictures if you can, and to imbed them into the post, you need to click the picture button right below the bold icon and put the url where you uploaded said pictures between the two boxes that just appeared. I recommend imgur for picture uploading, as it is free, and works pretty well, but use whatever you want.

Fourth, some Dos and Donts of sucession games. First off, when the winter comes around again and the game saves itself, dont continue. We all play for a year, and the havoc of leaving off in the middle of a siege is quite entertaining to watch. Also, please do not use anything that would be considered as Cheating (most, if not All of DFhack (I use seedwatch and vdig on occasions, but those Really should be in the game tbh), Dfusion, and depending on the playerbase, Danger Rooms (Unless you make them out of solid steel spears, then go ahead, make military shish kabobs). Also, please dont try and do stupid things that kill the entire fort. Generally, digging into hell is a bad, bad thing to do unless you are EXTENSIVELY prepared for it, and the same goes for intentionally causing a tantrum spiral. However, we do know that disasters happen in DF, so if a tantrum spiral does occur, odds are, we will assume that it happened on its own (like nearly ALL of them). Half of the fun in DF is watching a fort fall apart and slowly piece itself back together.

Fifth, remember to be relatively quick with updates. Each thread has their own length that they want overseers to take (Lakebones is 5 days), and generally try and stick to that. If you cant finish it, someone else can either take your save and continue the year, or start over from where you started.

Finally, Sixth, have fun. This is a game after all, hillarious stuff happens in DF all the time, and just try and capture it as best as you can in an online format.

There are plenty of other Succession forts out there that you can use as a guideline for what to do (Boatmurdered and Battlefailed are just two incredibly well done examples), (By the way, if you want to imbed links, just click the button immediately to the right of the picture button while selecting the text you want to have as a link, and put the url of the address you want to go to after the first url text (Put a = between the two "url=google.com" as an example))

I really do recommend that you try out being an overseer in a sucession fort, as there is nothing else like it out there. Here's hoping that you take up the next spot as an overseer in Lakebones!
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:39 am »

Oh nice. Suddenly Lakebones gets CPR at the last minute.

I don't see why we can't let laularukyrumo and bp take another turn, so I re-updated the list.

Honestly, I'd take another turn myself but I really don't have much time at this moment (and I'm also due to oversee Moltenchannels in the next couple of days).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2013, 07:24:22 am »

!!CLEAR!!

*Shocks Lakebones with magma*

!!CLEAR!!

"It LIVES"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2013, 02:45:08 pm »

So. I'm still cleaning up after the Epic Fail of my turn in Mirroredfreezes. Dat Tantrum spiral. Thank god we had a vampire. XD

I'm still up for this, but it might be a couple days before I start. I'll post when I'm playing.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Vampires, DFs battery backups

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:39 pm »

Alright, Bp talked me into it, que me up for a position as overseer please. Just be warned, this is my first seccsion fort, so expect some !!FUN!!
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #368 on: January 31, 2013, 04:18:35 am »

Ok, awesome.

Don't worry about the consequences; everyone needs a first attempt.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 31, 2013, 05:56:07 am »

Can't be worse than what I did to Mirroredfreezes.

I feel bad for whoever takes up the mantle from THAT mess. x_x
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:22 am »

Put me after fishybang if you could. I've still got a few overseer positions left, and I want some time between my turns.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 31, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

I've never done a succession fort before, but would love to try a turn if you dare to let me screw up your fortress!  Also, dwarf me as "Joe" please.  Any profession ok.  Maybe a brewer?

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #372 on: January 31, 2013, 03:50:20 pm »

Ok BP I moved you to the bottom below Joeclark. Welcome aboard, Joe!

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 31, 2013, 04:24:02 pm »

Glad to be involved!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 31, 2013, 09:43:58 pm »

Welp. I downloaded the fort.

Holy. Crap. What on earth is this unholy amalgamation that our poor dwarves have settled among? I just....

Give me a few days to start writing... I gotta figure out what the FUCK is going on.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 31