Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69102 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:38:08 pm »

Lakebones: The Exile

Okay, guys, I feel I've done enough solo-fortress play to try a real challenge and at the same time try to boot up a succession fort. Who wishes to join me on horror of Lakebones [Nerosod]?!?

Opening Story: (in spoiler)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

----
The world used is Gastark, previously a crapsack pangaea world with a horrifying ocean generated for me to kill adventurers in (hence the tongue in cheek references above), but I was looking around it and there are some !!FUN!! potential sites for us to use in this project. The one I've selected this time is:

And here is Lord D.F. Hack's noted 'report' for the minerals:

Should be quite a challenge: untamed wilds and the cold, salt water lake that will probably freeze a fair bit. Completely flat plain surrounding it, sabotaging easy defences, and a Badlands next to a forest; with the lake, for 3x biome diversity. There are some Terrifying sites as well on the world, but I imagine they're sporting the instant death syndrome* that has now killed at least 3 of my adventurers of this world (also referenced above), so for now I'm going to give them a miss.

Still seeking future overseers and anyone who wants dorfing is also welcome.

Suggestions for our groups name are also welcome, though I'm leaning towards "The God-Cat of Prophecies" at the moment since its silly. :P If you take up an initial dorf, you can also specify skills within reason (keep it to 8 points just in case we run low on embark, though take note that I'm planning to go with no anvil as well for extra !!FUN!! so a metalsmith might go rusty. Finally, my character, Harper, will be an Architect/Building Designer to fit the above story.

As for succession rules, the following sound decent to me, but I'm also open in that regard:
+ 1 + You have 5 DAYS to complete your run. If you can manage a year in that time, great, but its not essential.
+ 2 + The Main focus is writing a bit of a story though, ideally with at least a couple of screenshots. You can be as verbose or barebones as you like to reflect your dwarves diary entries or other such framing plot device.
+ 3 + All other diary entries from dorfed civilians and other media is great. I'm not sure if this concept will measure up to the silliness of Boatmurdered etc. but if the narrative swings that way, then thats ok!
+ 4 + Anyway, get your zipped save up to an accessible location (Mediafire etc.) by the end of the 5 days. Don't panic about getting the story up in time for the switchover, just get it done ASAP and thats fine.
+ 5 + Our goal is to be alive in 12 years time when the mountainhomes open up again, and hopefully prosperous. Given the story, we shall be assuming that our Dwarven Caravan/Liason is either from separatists who don't want to see us die or from other dwarf civs, or whatever. If you have suggestions on this, great.
+ 6 + If the fort explodes or dies, you can restart from the original save you got given as much as you like as long as you have the time left, but remember your time limit, and if you can't actually do the full year as a supervisor, add something funny as to why you got deposed early!

Anyway, thats about it! I'll wait the weekend for entrants and start my embark on Monday.

* See it in this thread post[/font]
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 07:26:43 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:42:13 pm »

Successors List
eharper256 <DONE>
Embark/Arrival/1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/SAVE & AREA MAP
AustralianWinter <DONE>
Turn
Brewster <DONE>
Turn
Overmind <DONE>
1/2/SAVE
laularukyrumo <DONE>
1+2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9+SAVE
AussieEvil <DONE>
1/2/3/4/5/6/7/SAVE
Vex <QUIT DUE TO TIME CONSTRAINTS>
1/SAVE
Pufferfish <QUIT DUE TO CRASH/OUT OF TIME>
bp920091 <DONE>
1/2/3/4 & Save
laularukyrumo TURN II <DONE>
1/2/3/4/5/6/SAVE
Fishybang <QUIT DUE TO CRASH>
1/2
joeclark77 <DONE>
1/2/3/4/5/6/SAVE & Thoughts

bp920091 TURN II <AWAITING CONFIRMATION>
Fishybang ATTEMPT II

Lakebones is still in danger due to a !!CURSE!! of skipping overseers, crashing saves, and other calamities. If you'd like to volunteer to rectify the situation, please post now!!

M. I. A.
Salmeuk <SKIPPED x2>
Scruffy
Vex (2nd attempt)
Pufferfish (2nd attempt)

Dorfing List:
Initial Party
Nickname/Custom Profession/Ideal Skill Loadout
1. Harper, Exiled Architect. Architecture(4), Appraiser(3), Liar(1), Judge of Intent(2) Insanity (Obsessive Compulsive Storage Disorder)
2. Winter, Gentleman Explorer. Ambusher(2), Marksdwarf(4), Flatterer(1), Brewer (3) Died in the siege of 105
3. Dr. Bdak, Medievangelist. Miner(3), Diagnostician(2), Surgeon(1), Suturer(1), Wound Dresser(2), Bone Doctor(1) Fell off scaffolding to his death
4. Overmind, Wood Hugger. Carpenter(4), Bone Carver(1), Wood Burner(2), Speardwarf(3) Died from Wounds
5. Aseaheru, Feline Philanthropist. Animal Trainer (2), Fisherman (3), Fish Cleaner (1), Fish Dissector (1), Record Keeper (3)
6. Aussieevil, Stone Tinkerer. Mason (3), Mechanic (3), Grower (3), Engraver (1) Died from Self-Imposed Alcohol Deprivation
7. laularukyrumo, Spluenker. Miner (5), Chef (4), Butcher (1) Melted (Magma-Jump Suicide)
In game roster cap:

Full Character Details:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119557.msg3826064#msg3826064

Dorfed Migrants
1st Wave: Doc Sankis Died in the siege of 105, Babylon Went Berserk, Salmeuk Killed by Goblins, Vex Died in the siege of 105
2nd Wave: Pufferfish & FishybangKilled by Goblins
Year 3: Sabertache Died in the siege of 105Scruffy Died from Self-Imposed Alcohol Deprivation
bp920091 Drowned
DuskyEaten by Cave Crocodile
Tasrak

QUEUED FOR DORFING
None at the moment

Quote from: aussieevil
The Gods of Lakebones:
  • Domas the Green Trades (♀ dwarf)
    minerals, jewels, wealth, trade
  • Tholtig the Cradled Shadows (♀ cap hopper)
    fortresses, war, mountains, caverns
  • Avuz (♂ dwarf)
    metals
  • Thun the Held Clutch (♀ dwarf)
    duty, order, discipline, laws
  • Rodem Crabearthen (♂ dwarf)
    nature, weather
  • Sokan Ponderinkled the Scholar of Style (♀ dwarf)
    painting, inspiration, poetry, song
Religious texts coming soon.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:01:41 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »

I'll bite.

Dwarf me as  Gentleman Explorer "Winter", a gruffy explorer who drinks even more than a standard dwarf, insults everything and really doesn't like elves. I suppose he'd be a hunter/brewer/butcher, or something to that effect. Why he was exiled I don't know, but he might be poaching or "accidently" shoot some noble's favourite cat/dog/keet.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:58:49 pm »

Dwarf and turn please.

Dwarf: Dr. Bdak
Profession: Miner
Skills: Miner(3), Diagnostician(2), Surgeon(1), Suturer(1), Wound Dresser(2), Bone Doctor(1)
Bio: A highly religious man who's often times heard singing hymnals in the mine shafts below. He was not exiled, but volunteered to go, to evangelize all who care to listen. As Bdak had always dreamed of exploring the lands he studied and learned medical skills; which makes him highly valuable in any operation a group may undertake.

(I would like to request to see what God(s) Bdak worships please for story telling.)

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 12:30:56 am »

I'll go for a turn.
Dwarf me if its possible as a carpenter, doesn't matter which one

BIO: A Strange dwarf with an unhealthy obsession with wood. Also has a deep hatred of zombies and other evil beings.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:34:27 am by Overmind »
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:30 am »

Oh my, 3 dorfings and 2 successors already; and I only slept for 7 hours. Thanks for the replies, should be fun! I'll update the 2nd post with listings.

Ok, done. If you're unhappy with your skill loadout, please say so. Also, forgot to mention, if you want to specifically take a certain year (2-12, or higher, if we like) as an overseer, please say so. :D

Ah, one other thing: do people want a complete name replacement for their nicknames, or do you want to keep the randomly assigned Surname etc? (I'll remember it and type it in again when I add the nick) I'm going to be Harper [Whatever random surname hopefully something to do with buildings], but people can choose whatever they want.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:19:27 am by eharper256 »

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:45:42 am »

Turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn! :D

Also. :D Badlands included! I just embarked on a desert for the first time, a Sand Desert by the looks of it. Despite the scarcity of trees, I think I'm going to like it here... excepting beds, we can make almost anything wooden out of glass instead, and there is a LOT of sand. Lot of bugs, though. Giant, savage, animal-man bugs.

so yeah. This looks like amusement, sign me up.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 06:04:09 am »

Uh yeah, I want a turn too, whenever there's time. I was apparantly about to die from need of sleep yesterday, and forgot to write it.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 06:19:29 am »

Turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn turn! :D

Also. :D Badlands included!
so yeah. This looks like amusement, sign me up.
Even funnier, its a freezing cold desert on this embark, so I guess its more a ice covered sandy wasteland. I'm thinking we may well be doomed if the place starts generating swarms of giant frost scorpions, giant white leopards, and bears. :D

Is it bad that I imagined you singing that awful Travis song 'TURN' with that first line, by the way? :o

Ok, I'll add you and AustralianWinter to the Turn list. You guys have any year preference?

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »

Eh no matter how bad the biome there's nothing a huge trap hallway can't solve
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:47 pm »

On that note, it's a freezing embark.

Pump lakewater into a side passage. Forbid entry to dwarves. Build a floor hatch that exposes the water to the elements. When we get ugly invaders, lure them in, then force them to path through the water. Pull the lever to open the hatch. BUG-SICLES!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »

Both are methods I should consider in the initial layout, though personally I like the ballista tightrope for its hilarity. Hmm.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 04:04:02 pm »

eharper256,

It's Bdak, not Badak, thanks!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »

any starting dwarves like cats? i wont mind a dwarf.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 04:59:04 pm »

eharper256,
It's Bdak, not Badak, thanks!
Sorry, typo. Fixed.

any starting dwarves like cats? i wont mind a dwarf.
Ok, added you to the dorf list with: Animal Trainer (2), Fisherman (3), Fish Cleaner (1), Fish Dissector (1), Record Keeper (3). If you'd like different skills, please say so, but they're the most cat-focused ones I can think of!

Yeah, if you look at the starting story, my dwarf also has a cat called Moonshine. Or do you mean on the likes/dislikes page? If so, don't know yet, the embark will start on Monday. But if a dwarf does like cats you'll be assigned that one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31