Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69133 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »

No real preference on gender. With dwarven society being pretty much egalitarian, my character idea can work both ways.
Alright, cool. We'll see what happens tommorow then. I'll make sure to at the very least get the embark story and caps of your characters up by tommorow afternoon, but I'm not likely to get too far in besides that, as I've got work in the evening.

Off to bed now. The final dorfing slot will remain open overnight but if you want to take it I'm afraid you'll be stuck as a Chef/Miner or something like that. As a result, if you want a different skillset, you may prefer to wait for migrant? Up to you.

Will our dwarves sleep with the fishes or tame the frozen lake? Tune in tommorow to see the horror of Lakebones!
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »

Will our dwarves sleep with the fishes or tame the frozen lake? Tune in tommorow to see the horror of Lakebones!
Monday through friday 5 Am! ONLY on the BAY12 channel!
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 07:55:26 pm »

hahahahahaha xd

I guess I'll take the minerchef. Should have a dorf just cause I'm on zee turnlist. :D

dgaf about gender or prefs
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Draconik_Sankis

• Bay Watcher
  • Science is Progress, and Progress is !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:47 pm »

And i'll Take a Farmer/Butcher/Tanner/Brewer/Cook
Name: Doc Sankis
Reason for Exile...
Roast Dwarven Noble Biscuit
and a Dwarf Noble Leather sock

He distrusts nobles, and for some odd reason they distrust him.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2012, 05:50:23 am »

Monday through friday 5 Am! ONLY on the BAY12 channel!
Lol, the embark has started and I'm just typing up the last few details!

I guess I'll take the minerchef. Should have a dorf just cause I'm on zee turnlist. :D
Ok, I've switched the MinerChef to you

And i'll Take a Farmer/Butcher/Tanner/Brewer/Cook
Name: Doc Sankis
Reason for Exile...
Roast Dwarven Noble Biscuit
and a Dwarf Noble Leather sock

He distrusts nobles, and for some odd reason they distrust him.
You baked a noble?! XD Ok, when we get our first migrants, I'll pick the most likely one to be Doc Sankis. Stay tuned.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:45 am »

Ok guys, here's the embarkment!
Quote from: Harper
Leaving the Mountainhome~ Part II

Suddenly paralysed by all the untrustworthy looking strangers, I fell back onto a cheerful, no-nonsense, candid personality. Some time later, I would come to the conclusion this might have been a mistake.

"Ok people, dwarves, other miscellaneous creatures. We're off to the arse-end of no-where in the freezing north. I'm not going to ask why you're here right now. All that is obvious is that, if nothing else, we're going to have to learn to work together, right?"

I tried a cheesy grin, and there was still silence. I wasn't good at this.

Then, Moonshine "mrrrnged" in a dissatisfied tone and lept out of my arms. This simple action caused some of the dwarves present to burst out laughing, and if there was one thing I knew, it was such laughter was typically contagious.

The guards weren't infected, however. They seemed to be impatient to get us rolling... probably late for their rum break.

Frankly, I was a little terrified at their non-plussed attitude towards sending this little caravan of ours out to die. With their prodding spears, they actually set the disgruntled pair of horse and yak into motion, and the rays of sunlight outside beckoned.

You're not even going to give me time for an appraisal, are you? I hope someone else has had the sense to. If so, perhaps we may even survive for a while.

The fat cat leapt onto the rolling wagon, apparently understanding what was happening and intending to sleep it off.

Lucky bastard, I thought. At least you've got a fur coat. I sighed, and followed the trundling into the rising winter sun. I glanced back one last time, watching the giant stone doors of the mountainhome shut behind us with the roar of stone gears.

They would not open again.

Nine Days Later:

I decided that we should steer clear of a suspicious looking yellow cloud hovering over the bridge. It might be the evil cloud I've heard about from Winter, the one that tears your flesh off your bones and makes you vomit blood. It's meant a longer trip to the river ford in the south, and we've camped at that crossing to let the shaggy horse rest. The delay has given me time to finally appraise everything we have:

Well, at least we have seeds. A crossbow. Two picks. Even a helm, a breastplate and a spear. Not very good quality. I wasn't an expert on ore but even I could tell that this was mostly that soft, reddish type of metal.

Plenty of booze. Maybe even enough for two seasons. Yak meat, swallow eggs and... was that snake? Salted up to no end, but it would feed us for a while.

There were some odd things too. Ten sandbags? We're going to a frozen desert! Barrels of Lye... useless by itself... and some coal like stuff. Perhaps useful to start a fire; though I didn't intend to settle down in a place COMPLETELY bereft of tree cover, and trees burnt well.

I also opened a strange little box that Moonshine was attacking. In there was a small stack of papers. PAPERS! I used to know some dwarves who'd taken up this strange human idea of putting notes down with things called 'pens' rather than chisels. But that stack contained official documents with very formal language, discussing the misdeeds and personalities of dwarves. For that purpose I supposed it would be slightly more convienient to have mobile things like that rather than slabs. Perhaps I'd consider it if I ever had to do any architectural drafts in the future.

Hah! Ever the optimist, aren't you? You idiot. I took the files and read only the front pages... and then dropped them in the campfire. After all, why read the history of these people? He had to trust them, and knowing about their past, if they didn't want to say, was setting the expedition up to fail. He hoped that it would not fail...

[As an aside, our random group name ended up as 'The Papers of Testing'. I thought this was awesome, so I kept it. Time for your thesis paper, dwarves!]

Ok, gonna split this post up and your dwarves will be in the next one.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2012, 06:35:13 am »

I'd like to play.  Dorf name Babylon, preferably a civilian, engraver or statue maker if possible, but craftdwarf of any kind would be good.  No preference on Gender.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2012, 06:49:32 am »

Here's your dwarves. In case you were wondering, I had the cancel twice because I got six females twice! But the third loadout was basically perfect and I managed to slot everyone into a relevant sounding dwarf! Anyway, in the format of Harper's Thoughts in character, then the screens, then MY thoughts, here we go:

>> This is what they think of me, huh? Hah! Actually quite apt!

I have some VERY strange animal choices, but everything else, especially the pink underlines, are VERY relevant to my already established character! Thanks DF!

>> I'd heard Dr. Bdak already singing some sermons to the gods, Thun and Sokan. The man seemed hard-headed, but tolerant, and I noticed he had volunteered for this journey. A little bit foolhardy, but perhaps he considers it his price to Thun, and I can respect that.

Also, the details of your gods, as requested:

Apparently Harper became friends with him, and we both worship Thun. Also, the name "Thun" is suspiciously similar to "!!FUN!!". Is this a bad omen!?!?

>> Winter seemed a foppish sort, too bothered with drinking wine and outside activities like exploring. But he was a crack-shot with the crossbow, helping to preserve our supplies for the arrival, and I got along with him more as time went on.

Harper also become friends with him. He actually worships Rodem Crab-Earthen, the dwarven deity of nature and weather, quite appropriate, and Avuz, lord of metals. He's also friends with Dr. Bdak, so apparently the three of us formed a clique.

>> Overmind seemed a strange sort, not only from his name, as he was apparently fascinated by the wood and trees and other elf-things like that. But the way he carried himself suggested he'd once been a soldier, and perhaps that had affected him.

Also:

Huh... you worship Avuz, Lord of Metal, and... Avuz, Lord of Metal. Go figure. You're friends with Aussieevil, Aseaheru, and Laularukyrumo. You centre of attention, you, you seem to hold the others together...

>> Aseaheru immediately seemed to get along famously with Moonshine. This struck me as odd, as Moonshine scratched others without discrimination. When I asked, he said that he liked cats, llamas, and sailfin mollies. I didn't know what the latter two were.

Your only friend is Overmind apparently. You worship Rodem Crab-Earthen, but also Tholtig of the Cradled Shadows, our only god that isn't a Dwarf, apparently its a Cap-Hopper associated with mountains and war.

>> I'd briefly seen Aussieevil before, consulted her on some stonework mechanisms I'd designed a long time ago, but I realised I knew nothing about her, and especially wondered why she was here.

Aussieevil arrived happy for some reason. Perhaps she really WANTED to get away? She's friends with Overmind only and also worships Tholtig and Avuz.

>> The final one, listed in her file as Laularukyrumo but who never introduced herself properly, at least not me, also seemed to be rather interested in Moonshine, but always staying distant from the fat old tom. I saw her speaking with Overmind occassionally, but otherwise she was silent.

Aseaheru obviously doesn't like her due to the pink underlined item! Also only friends with Overmind, worships Thun & Tholtig.

Next, the arrival.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2012, 06:54:24 am »

Winter's Journal, First Entry

Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Off to a shitty frozen lake of frost and humility and lack of booze and substandard living. Naturally, the high-ups go bonkers and close off the mountainhomes for 12 stinking years, and we're sent to some out-far place Armok knows where. Old Uristson probably were the one to sell me out. Idiot. I hope he chokes on his ale. No wait, that's too good a death. I hope the barrels fall down and crush him. Yeah, that's more like it.

Everyone are freezing of their arses in this blasted weather, and some genius decided we should bring along ten sand bags. And apparantly, the animals can't handle "all that load", so I'm stuck here with two sandbags and a back that hurts like hell.

At least everyone seems friendly enough, if completely mad. I like Bdak, there's something comforting in having a dwarf sings hymns that completely overtake the howling wind, even if they are to strange gods and the like. Oh, looks like we're moving again I'll have to fini-
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2012, 07:11:57 am »

Thirty-two Days later, 1st of Granite:

It is new year, and by the crude maps we were given, we've finally arrived at where the lake is supposed to be... but I don't see it:

Then again, it has been snowing for the last two days, almost continuously, and Winter assures me that beneath that layer of snow to the west is probably rather unstable ice. I'm inclined to trust him, since his name mirrors the cold element of this place, and he has proven time and again to be of a reliable nature in wilderness situations. As a result, I've instructed the others to try not to step on it.

The snow almost seems ominous, because it falls without a care, unbuffeted by any wind, merely delivering its icy chill to the ground without hesitation. I imagine it will continue to be cold for awhile yet.

Moonshine has taken offence to it, and it took an hour of coaxing to remove him from the wagon so we could start to unpack the other half of the supplies.

I am at least somewhat relieved that there are no vicious ice scorpions or black bears in the vicinity. I heard some bad stories about them, but perhaps they are all currently in 'hibernation'. I think thats what Aseaheru called it.

Although I loathe to borrow the design ideas of humans, I am very concerned that this site will be open to attack considering there are none of the usual dwarven convieniences of mountainsides to build into. Therefore, whilst the wagon was being unloaded, I drew a brief sketch with a tree branch in the snow detailing a very basic fortification, and asked the others to gather around it.

Everyone was shivering already, and certainly didn't complain about my two ideas: first of all that its generally warmer underground, so it would be a good idea to get digging today, and second, that we needed the aformentioned wooden stockade around our underground entry as a bare minimum to protect us from wandering creatures that may cause havoc and be attracted to our food supplies. Later, we could expand it to include any stone we found and perhaps add some proper dwarvish traps to forstall invaders.

I also proposed a channeled diagonal shaft to cut us through the soil in a stable manner. I think Bdak was a little nervous at the idea of shifting earth using only his pickax and hands, but there is nothing else to do, since they neglected to send us with shovels or spades.

But before that, I think our first priority is to fell some of these sturdy looking Pine Trees and Highwoods. Unfortunately, we immediately hit a snag, if you'll excuse the pun, because none of us really knows the best way to make a tree fall down!!

I sighed when I realised this, and I took up the copper axe we had in the wagon. If I die to a tree hitting me on the head, at least it'll relieve me of this frozen hell in a quick and ironic way. Besides, its not exactly like I can design any buildings if we have no materials.

The sun is already past its mid-point. I had best start cutting logs...

[There we go, hope you enjoy! Also, apparently I've switched to first person narration, but it just seemed to flow better.]

P.S. Also I changed the Civilization from The Just Fence, to The Volcanoes of Rising. This is to explain where we're getting our Caravan from since in the story, The Just Fence is sealing itself off. Pretend that we're from The Just Fence, because we are, its just they've effectively disowned us. If later overseers want us to accept noble positions from The Volcanoes, that might actually make some interesting potential drama/comedy anyways.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:44 am »

May I have a turn?

Also, I love the attention to detail you (eharper) have put into this. nice  8)

Am I correct in believing that this is vanilla DF?

It is too bad there isn't more vertical to the map, but I suppose flatmaps lend themselves to a focus on the underground aspect of fortress construction. I do love me some mountains, though.

Can I reserve a dwarf in the next migrant wave, too?

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 07:43:17 am »

Personal journal of Overmind, entry 1
My faith in authority is being seriously challenged lately, The "nobles" of our moutain home have just decided that we just HAD to colonize this little section of frozen hellhole.

of course all my fellow dwarves all looked down on my liking of wood. And yet what does every stone loving dwarf wish to sleep on? WOOD!

Armok damned hypocrites. Oh well the overseer has just drawn us together to lay out the plan for the fort. And from what i could tell from my time in the military, it was a sound design the only problem in being that no one seemed to know how to cut wood from trees. The overseer finally just got to work felling trees. I can't wait till I have Some blessed wood between me and all this cold.

The only good news is I really found myself growing attached to my fellow dwarfs, they're a good lot, And avuz help the first thing come between us. I really glad there are no bark scorpions out here, damnable creatures infest wood!

I have to go now, The others are urging me back to work and i'm not going to let them down.

Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2012, 08:41:48 am »

Journal Entry 2 : Striking The Earth

We've done it, we've arrived. Ahh it feels good to use my pick again! Praise Thun I'm able to get out of that horrid weather and indoors. I sing praises Sokan would delight in while I plow through the soil. No stone as of yet, but in due time.

Of those along for this embark is a dwarf named Winter. He's brash and angry! He's a rough gem that needs polished for sure. We've grown close in fellowship and I show him the good works of our Gods. He seems to enjoy the hymnals Sokan inspires all us dwarfs to sing. I've yet to ask if he's taken up his oath in servitude to the Gods, but in due time.

I continually ask the Gods for protection for all of us. This land is not safe and if it's not the cold that will claim us, it will be the feral beasts of the lands. We are in need of more citizens. I can hardly mine a whole fortress myself. I feel now Thun telling me to keep my head down and to continue swinging. I hope a few of my brothers and sisters of the pick join us soon, but in due time.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:10:55 am by Brewster »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2012, 08:51:40 am »

10th of Granite

Things have felt frustratingly slow.

Nevertheless, I've finally started to get the hang of this tree chopping thing. Bdak and Laularukyrumo have been working around the clock digging, and they've just got through to the stone layer. Barely seconds afterwards, Laularukyrumo stated she'd hit some Iron Ore!

Hmm... perhaps that Hack isn't so dubious after all in his reports. We shall see.

Overmind has started constructing a bit of wall from the logs, but he says its going to be at least a month before he's done fully. I can only hope things stay hibernated until then. Aussieevil said she'd add some wall in with the Mudstone we were finding. Good lord this was going to look patchwork, but I guess it would do.

A flock of the goddamn biggest ravens I ever saw showed up; but Winter promptly shot one out of the sky, and continued to barrage the poor bird as it spasmed on the ground:

I think he may have some anger issues.

17th of Granite

Not alot to say today. All hard work and no play makes Harper a dull dwarf. The first, northern section of a wooden pallisade is up, and Bdak has finished tunneling out a bunch of small rooms ideal for crafts and constructions. The food supply has been moved underground, and Moonshine has been having a field day hunting the foolish white rats that harrass the stockpile.

24th of Granite

The Ramp is done, and though it ended up a bit wonky in its grade, it's adequate at its designated job of providing an easy entry tunnel.

3rd of Slate

Has it really already been nearly a month!?

Well, in any case, I set out some plans for a underground hall connected to a better stockpile for our food and booze:

Also, we actually have beds now. Three of them only, sure, but at least we're not roughing it in the snow anymore.

[Ok guys this is all I have time for today, gotta prep for work, but more reports will be forthcoming tommorow. I look forward to reading all your journals and things. :D]

@Salmeuk: Thanks, I've always enjoyed writing detailed things. This is indeed Vanilla DF. I tried a whole stack of modded versions, but for some reason none of them clicked with me. I also love the mountain areas, but I always go there normally, this is my first flat map; and its part of the challenge!

You and Babylon have been added to the list.

@Brewster: Remember your god is Thun, or are you renaming him Thurn, Brewster?

@Winter, Brewster, Overmind: Cool journals, look forward to reading more.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:35:00 pm by eharper256 »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:08 pm »

what are all the gods of?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31