Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69651 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »

Ok, makes a change, work wasn't too knackering today, so I've had time to get a bit more done.

12th of Slate

The snow is finally starting to thaw out...

Our place now looks remarkably like a well planned cave with half a broken wall on one side, and dubious looking wooden pallisade on the other. I guess its an improvement from the hole it started as, but its hardly impressive.

14th of Slate

I was scared out of my wits whilst cutting wood today, after seeing something walking on two legs, with mandibles clicking, wandering around the woods:

I barely restrained myself from screaming. The thing eventually retreated to the east without noticing me, making strange unholy sounds. I hope these things won't attack any of us, as they look strong and menacing creatures, part man, part bug.

4th of Felsite

At last its really starting to feel like spring. The lake has thawed:

Fortunately, the Louse Men ran off when Winter starting shooting at them. Perhaps I was a bit of coward if just a few flying... though I guess it is Winter with a crossbow we're talking about. No creature wants to end up like those pincushioned giant ravens!

10th of Felsite

The little fortifications almost look respectable now. Over the last few days, I've spotted even more bizarre were-creatures frolicking in the trees; people with the heads of ravens, some with the bodies of porcupines. Frankly disturbing, but with any luck they're all as timid as the Lice.

18th of Felsite

Our digging around uncovered an underground sandy clay area that Aussieevil assures me is an ideal environment to grow underground dwarven crops:

I ordered Laularukyrumo to widen the area after she'd finished butchering our draft animals. Its a shame, in a way, to see them go, but they had been tired and hungry from the trip and with the pasture-able land only just becoming available, they've been getting steadily thinner. I didn't think they'd survive long enough to eat themselves out of their hunger, so had them slaughtered whilst there was still useful meat on their bones.

2nd of Hematite

It's summer, though its still pretty darn cold for summer. The fact that we're still alive is probably testament to this groups ability to pull together when it counts. The main hall is shaping up, and its attached food and drink stockpile is complete and sealed away with some of Aussieevils stone doors:

Also, the fields have been hoe'd out now, and though we're too late to start any spring crops, we should get some Cave Wheat and Plump Helmets growing soon, and maybe some Quarry Bushes. Once that is all up to spec, I think I can start to maybe relax just a little bit.

Finally, I designed an area for caravans to stop at, just slightly underground. Hell knows if any crazy humans will listen to those messengers (did they even ever arrive!?) and start trading here, but once Aussieevil has finished putting some crops in I'll get her to build the place, just in case.

what are all the gods of?
THUN: Law, Order, Discipline, Duty and !(FUN)!?
SOKAN: Song, Poetry, Inspiration, Paintings
AVUZ: Metals (thats it!)
RODEM CRAB EARTHEN: Nature, Wildlife, Weather
THOLTIG OF THE CRADLED SHADOWS: Mountains, War
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:43:23 pm by eharper256 »
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 03:46:37 pm »

thank you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 04:01:35 pm »

Winter's Journal - Second Entry

I hate animals. People ask me, "Winter! You're a fellow from the wilds! You must love the wild creatures of the forest?" I don't! I hate them with a burning passion, with all my blasted alcoholic soul.  The damn things show up everywhere. They're ugly, dangerous and useless for everything, unless their dead. Except chickens and eggs, but I never really was a fan of egg-nog.

There's giant ravens all over this damn place, but luckily I got to them before they got to me. Or Harper for that matter. I don't even know if we'll survive this ordeal, and honestly, I don't really care if I never see the Mountain Homes again. Out here, no one calls me a poacher or try to steal my booze.

Also, I'm free of the bloody nobles! Wait, there's a louse-man moving somewhere in the forest, I'll write the la-
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2012, 04:04:39 pm »

hey, its like vegetarians being vegetarians because they hate plants.
Highly Opinionated Fool

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:47 pm »

hey, its like vegetarians being vegetarians because they hate plants.

It's exactly like that.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 04:13:17 pm »

well, thats nice.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:29 pm »

I need to ask....what is my dwarf doing again?
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 04:46:54 pm »

I need to ask....what is my dwarf doing again?
Overmind's not been up to much once he'd manufactured seven beds and three wheelbarrows. Mostly hauling things around as the complex has got deeper. I'm planning on having him pick up the spear and breastplate and helm and go around stabbing things eventually (originally figured I'd need to set him up to fight quickly, but the creatures of spring have so far been pretty timid, if odd).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

Vex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 04:49:24 pm »

I'd like to try and pick up a turn!

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 04:52:49 pm »

Wow, how this moves fast. I'll try to get my first journal up on a few hours.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

Did anybody else notice that Dr Bdak's dwarf likes SLADE? Under no circumstances is he allowed to be a noble. Ever. Not even.

also I'm glad my dorf is a miner, cause I looked over her soul attributes and she looks like a draftable candidate. :o probably put her on pick duty once we get new miners and she hits legendary.

Journal of Laularu Kyrumo, Spring Entry

Some dwarves might think me strange that I only write in this thing four times a year. Well, if I don't need to do so more often, and I'm too busy to do so, then why should I? Especially in this sort of land... it's far too cold, I could really do with a good pair of wool leggings. No matter. Exercise is a good way to keep warm, and once we get some quarry bushes growing, I can get to work in the kitchen. Nothing like a good quarry bush leaf stew to warm the heart and body.

Not more than a couple days in and we've already hit metal. Iron, no doubt. I'd recognize that distinctive clang anywhere. I hope poor Overmind doesn't mind making beds and little else... we're gonna need to put a hundred percent of our limited wood into charcoal production if we can't hit any lignite. Lignite veins tend to be in igneous layers, from what I remember... or is it sedimentary? I know they're semi-rare, but the presence of iron is a good omen.

On that note, I want to see more stone production. Keeping wood in the walls is a bad idea, because you can make stone walls and burn the wood. Beds are the only things that can't be made out of non-wood materials, and if we can hit sand or clay down here, then we'll need that fuel more than ever, but the trade-off will be a sharply lowered demand for wood products. We just won't need them.

Harper told me to set the pick down for a bit and grab a knife, put down the draft animals before they starve. Works for me. I know that other dwarves tend to get a bit squeamish around meat and blood, but it's just not the dwarven way. They'll come around when they see how much we can get for totems and horn crafts. And when we run out of crossbow bolts, and Winter comes whining for more, he's gonna get sharpened bone for ammunition and he's going to LIKE it.

Which reminds me. If I hear one more dwarf running around screaming about giant bug-men I'm gonna go out there myself and lop off their heads with my pick!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 05:15:51 pm »

okay i did some arena testing and from what i can tell louse people versus dwarfs at best always turns out that the dwarfs win with a couple of them seriously injured but alive at worst the louse men seriously wound the dwarfs but seem to get overpowered.

all and all, a few lightly armed dwarfs should be able to take them down with minimal injuries.

so just keep winter with his crossbow stocked with ammo and we should be fine.
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

Vex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 05:27:09 pm »

Oh! I'd also like a dorf from a immigrant wave. I don't really mind what the prof. is, just nickname him Vex

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »

Aussieevil's Lakebones journal, 2nd Hematite
I finally was able to get a book to replace the one I accidentally left behind during the trek. The area we call "Lakebones" is aptly named: There is a lake here, and when it's not frozen, it chills you down to the bones. So far, the only noticeable wildlife here are several societies of humanoid animal hybrids.
Back at the capital, I'm still a fellow at the Guild of Mechanics (even after my exile for refusing to pay the inflated membership tax), but I'm yet to erect a single lever here. (It's not the time yet, anyway.) Instead, I'm assisting in the start of our little fort by using the skills I've garnered from making rock gears into making doors and taking care of the farms. I'm also lending a hand with the topside fortifications as well. I'm pretty sure if the Guildmaster know what I've been doing, he'd take away my Guild badge, the singleminded fool that he is.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:27:00 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

so just keep winter with his crossbow stocked with ammo and we should be fine.
Funny you mention that, he's just run out at the start of summer. Partly because he shot 14 bolts into those Giant Ravens. :o I have set orders to reclaim used ammo though so perhaps theres a few left.

Did anybody else notice that Dr Bdak's dwarf likes SLADE? Under no circumstances is he allowed to be a noble. Ever. Not even.
Good lords, you're right. I'd passed over it before as Slate. Does this mean he can sing a mean christmas no.1 as well covet the HFS?! (also remember he worships Thun) :D

I'd like to try and pick up a turn!
Okay, you're in.

Wow, how this moves fast. I'll try to get my first journal up on a few hours.
Lol, probably my fault; most of my hard work occurs at the weekend so I've got a fair bit of spare time Monday to Friday.

Don't worry though, I'm not doing any more DF tonight, got Anime to catch up with, though I'm gonna check back a few times to see how the journals and things are shaping up. :D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:32:47 pm by eharper256 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31