Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69103 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 06:15:32 pm »

so just keep winter with his crossbow stocked with ammo and we should be fine.
Funny you mention that, he's just run out at the start of summer. Partly because he shot 14 bolts into those Giant Ravens. :o I have set orders to reclaim used ammo though so perhaps theres a few left.
I remember mentioning bone bolts. ;)
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:26 pm »

Indeed you did. Everyone has been ignoring construction of the Craft workshop so far though, go figure.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:49 pm »

Indeed you did. Everyone has been ignoring construction of the Craft workshop so far though, go figure.
Ah yes, the crafts workshop. The silent money-maker of any fortress.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:42 am »

5th of Hematite

In order to get the crops down and make sure we have some food income in the future, I decided to ask Aussieevil to show me and Aseaheru how to plant some of the crops.

We've all got to muck in on this, because the quicker she can get back to building us some tables, door, chairs, and expanding the walls the better.

Ha! My parents, stuffy scholars they once were, would laugh if they saw me now, chopping down trees and hacking at the ground with a hoe. Well, they can go to hell and suck on slade. Then again, they're probably already there, since nobody but the late arriving troops survived that ambush incident with the Megabeast three years back.

I guess you might consider my woodcutting 'adequate' these days. In other words, I know the right side of the tree to stand on and where best to apply our rubbish little axe. Doesn't mean I'm fast at it though.

14th of Hematite

Seems like theres now some fish in the lake, so Aseaheru is actually casting out his line rather than helping with the fields. I guess thats fine either way as long as we have food for the winter. I asked him what sorts of surfaces would be required for a fishery processing shop and he gave me some details enough to prepare a design, though I've left the precise construction to him once he has the time.

I swear I heard Bdak singing 'Hall of the Mountain King' rather than his usual sermons during his excavation of the main halls last dregs. The way the stone caved in time to his music was actually quite apt and interesting to watch. Go figure.

20th of Hematite

This morning, the Crow Men were seen in spitting distance of the fortification, pecking around for food, so I asked Overmind to pick up the spear, helm and breastplate we have lying around just in case they turn nasty on us. They mostly seem interested in the 'landfill' full of Moonshine's conquests, mimicing their carrion bird nature, so perhaps they'll chew on some rat bones and leave. We shall see.

25th of Hematite

As I'd hoped the Crow Men pecked at the bones for a few days and then left.

Bdak and Laularukyrumo finished excavating all of the initial areas I'd planned out. Truly, they've done a stellar job so far.

I'm a little concerned for Winter, though. He's spent the last ten days 'on a break' in the main hall talking to the chickens as everyone else works around him.

I think he's a little put out that he's used up all of the crossbow bolts, so I asked Aseaheru to craft some out the sharp yak ribs we have lying around.

8th of Malachite

Winter seems alot happier since he dashed outside with his new bone bolts and sprayed firepower at a bunch of buzzards and mosquito men, who promptly turned tail and fled. I wonder if the local animal people will start cultivating a legend of the scary dwarf that has a wine tankard in one hand, and a crossbow in the other.

14th of Malachite

I was chopping wood outside when I suddenly saw four humanoid figures approaching. I prepared to flee in case it was the Mosquito Men that Winter had been shooting at before coming for revenge on me, but then one of them raised their arms above their heads, and I could see that these were... Dwarves!

Later on, as we welcomed these new refugees, I confirmed that they were two couples, though their children had already grown up and left home in one case, and they were newlyweds in the other.

Well, additional hands were always useful, so after letting them settle in, I'll have a quick chat about them and their abilities.

[We have a Bone Carver, a Furnace Operator, a Metalcrafter, and a Tailor/Thresher. I'll get their details up soon, but right now I'm off to go meet a friend.]
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

Vex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

I'll take the bonecarver as dorf if that's ok. I'd like to start writing some journal entries :D

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2012, 08:51:04 am »

Journal Entry 3 : Dig The Halls

Dig the halls with picks and shovels,
    Fa la la la la la la la la.
    'Through the stone; strong and rawly,
    Soon we'll be deep in a barrel
    Find not caverns with beast a' feral

Ah I love mining a new dining hall! I sing praises Sokan taught the first dwarfs. The outpost is coming nicely! I've spoken with Overmind. An interesting dwarf indeed. He simply loves wood it seems. To each their own I say. We were able to speak briefly over a pint, and he shared his hatred for the undead. He said it's unnatural and against the Gods. This opened the doors. I quickly asked him about his Gods and he explains his worships Avuz and Avuz alone. The God of Metals?. Such an odd God for someone who loves wood. I ask him his thoughts on the other Gods like Thun and he just shrugged. It will take time to polish this gem as well.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2012, 09:28:06 am »

Winter's Journal, Third Entry

I'm drunk. Again. Drunk, and miserable, but someone made me a bunch of bolts for my crossbow. It's great, really. There's nothing better than sheer, violent katharsis in such situations. I really have to pick myself up. It's the spring and the warmth - it gets to me. I'd much prefer a thousand damned glaciers than the bloody flowers and herbs. And the rabbits. Thricedamned rabbits. I should get around to shooting some, if it weren't for the fact they their poisonous and useless.

Must remember to thank Aseaheru for the bolts. Life is much easier and comfortable now.

Oh, and all the strange animal people hanging around Lakebones. I can't walk ten goddamn feet, before a mosquito man, or a rabbit woman or whatever strange beast the gods designed ramble down, saying "bzz" or "rhgaj" or whatever ridicoulous sound they can manage. I'll make them be quiet, just they wait.

Oh, there's another, I'll writ-
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:49 am »

Here's the Migrant Wave Dwarves:

>> Vex seemed a nice enough lady; said she was good at carving 'white things', which I assume meant bones. I guess Winter will get along fine with her if she makes him more bolts.

[Adequate Bone Carver]

>> Her husband Salmeuk was a smelter by trade. He'll come in handy when we start using some of the iron ore we found. He also told me a funny story that he and his wife connected over their mutual dislike of Toads, of all things...

[Adequate Furnace Operator]

>> Babylon is still in her teens and already married to Doc Sankis, but I'm not judging kids these days, especially one who says she's good at shaping metals, and who met her husband in a Longland Beer quaffing competition! (respect!)

[Adequate Metal Crafter]

>> Doc Sankis is a bit of a dabbler; he says he can cook, thresh, weave, and keep bees. Since I've seen some bees around now we're out of winter, the latter might be useful, and I imagine we'll eventually need new clothes.

[Novice Thresher, Cook, Bee Keeper. Adequate Clothier]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:47:33 pm by eharper256 »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2012, 12:40:32 pm »

21st of Malachite

I designated another set of rooms to be excavated out the stone. Now we've got some extra hands, it might be prudent to set up an office or two and make sure somebody can stay on top of the wheres and numbers of our remaining supplies. I can also take a modest area to design any further architectural plans; which will mean less annoying the others taking up the dining tables, of which there are currently rather few.

Laularukyrumo immediately seemed to get lucky again with her excavating as she was barely 20 feet into the new tunnel when she hit some Galena. This was on top of the Cassiterite hit last month whilst Bdak was finishing the main halls. So we have a source of iron, tin, silver and lead now. Perhaps I owe Lord Hack a drink if I ever see him again. Nothing more though, he was still a douche.

4th of Galena

Winter went out to hunt a giant cockroach and didn't come back for three days. Fortunately, we surveyed the surrounding area and just found him asleep (sleeping off a hangover?). He looked like he was just sunbathing in the now modest summer heat. Whilst I could understand this if he were on the grass, the fact that he was on the blustery ash-like sand barely feet away from a heaving colony of bees somewhat worries me:

13th of Galena

The offices have been excavated, and Aseaheru has just finished writing down a decent stock report. Who'd have thought he'd have such a skill? He told me that he learnt to write so that he could pen his thoughts about cats. Thats a little strange, but ok.

I've told him to keep his work rough for now and not be too concerned with a huge degree of accuracy. After all, I doubt we have any stacks of anything in the fort as of yet that are in their hundreds.

In other news, our little workshop zone is actually looking reasonable for a small scale fortress nowadays:

Aussieevil put together a mechanics shop and seemed happy to crafting some stone gears again, even if they are just for a couple of traction benches I've ordered built for our new little hospital area. Some of the others thought I was a little fatalistic, planning such an area when, so far, we've not seen a single injury, but I figured its best to be prepared.

25th of Galena

There was a rainstorm lasting three days, but our stockade weathered it all, confirming the fact that its now quite solid:

Some of others started asking if I planned to design proper underground bedrooms. I guess this was inevitable eventually since I've claimed that tiny side office for myself and have been snoozing in there, using the silk bags for pillows, rather than sleeping in one of our communal dormitories.

Unfortunately, my experience with planning apartments and rooms for dwarves has always been limited to building further up in the mountain as a rule of thumb; a luxury we don't exactly have here. I'm going to have to put extra thought into building them downwards, perhaps off the side of the main hall?

1st of Limestone

Autumn is here.

Salmeuk seems happy to have the Smelting furnace online, and has immediately got to work smelting that black stuff we brought along with some charcoal that Overmind made ages ago. He said we brought Lignite and thats useful for making coke, a fuel needed for smithing and further furnace usage. Babylon agreed it was much more efficient to use Lignite over just charcoal. Thing is, where we will find an Anvil for her?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:42:59 pm by eharper256 »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2012, 03:29:53 pm »

Aussieevil's Lakebones Journal, 13th Galena
Finally, an opportunity to create gears. It almost feels like I never stopped. Still, I'm happy doing the other jobs I've been assigned right now. I've actually taught Harper and Aseaharu how to work the farms. Every extra hand helps!
Also, a month ago, we had two married couple emigrate to our little settlement. It's given me an idea. I could re-create the guild system as it used to be, informal gatherings of dwarves sharing the same interest coming together to advance their skills. Not the bloated bureaucracy it's become, with Guild grandmasters and Supervisors and that damned 20 gold per month fee to practice the trade...
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2012, 03:51:12 pm »

Hell, sign me up. I'll ask for a dwarfing with the next migrant wave, too.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2012, 03:56:01 pm »

Dwarf me up, if thou'd not mind.
I'd Like to be an armourer, furnace operator, or engineer, should one be free. Gender irrelevant.
Good luck.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:49 pm »

Personal journal of Overmind, entry 2
A lot of things have changed since I last wrote

Bdak and I talked While he was on break, he digs into the earth with the same zeal and excitement of a small child who has just learned how to build sand castles for the first time. I never thought I'd actually enjoy being out here, so far away from the mountain home, But as avuz would have it this place feels more like home than that stuffy old mountain ever did.

One day Harper came rushing in while I was workin' in me shop, the look of concern on his face gave him enough reason to interrupt.
turns out those Armok damned Crows were back, fearin' the worst he came asking If I knew my way around an axe or two.
Its been along time since I've felt the weight of Armour on me shoulders and a strong spear in hand, but I'll be damned If I let those filthy things lay a single feather on any one.

Luckily as Harper hoped, They pecked around the garbage outside for abit before Winter came out Started yelling at them and brandishing his crossbow like it was the mighty fist Armok himself.

I've never seen a giant crow fly as fast as they did, maybe they remembered the pincushion that was once their buddy.

speakin' of Winter, He really concerns me, when he ran out of ammo for his crossbow, he just started downing wine at pace that would make any Brew loving dwarf pause with concern. That all changed when Aseaher, Bless his kind heart, carved up some bolts from a few bones.
the way his face lit up with joy when he laid hands on those bolts was I sight I'll always remember with pride. By Avuz if he didn't just about dance out of the fortress while whistlin' tunelessly, His crossbow in one hand, a barrel of wine over his shoulder in the other. I feared the worst when he didn't come back for two days, that is till we found him passed out, crossbow in hand, empty barrel of wine slung into a nearby colony of bees. I dragged his drunk arse back to his bed and left him there.

I think I'm starting to enjoy having winter around, he reminds me abit of me old captain back when I was a recruit.

thats all for now, I'm tired, and I could use a good sewer brew to knock me senseless. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:08:11 pm by Overmind »
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »

heres an idea: why dont we just steal everything the first caravan brings? that means around 6 anvils.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »

How about we wait and see if they even have anvils, we only need one anvil and five will push are value up

resulting in sieges we are not prepared for. we need caravans to come here for supplies and offloading of crap, steal from the elves if you must but I highly discourage that as elves are so easily pleased while trading that its laughable.
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31