Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69484 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2012, 03:15:03 pm »

only ONE anvil? ive had caravans with NO wagons bring SEVERAL.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »

Well now that we have one we can make more.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2012, 03:23:40 pm »

true. is it iron or steel? if its steel make an iron one with it then melt it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2012, 03:32:05 pm »

Aussieevil's Lakebones Journal, 16 Sandstone
It looks as if Avuz has truly blessed this place. Gold in the residential sector. That'll cheer up everyone. Just have to make sure rumors don't spread to the capital, or else we'll be up to our necks in greedy peasants come next summer.

Aussieevil's Lakebones Journal, 25 Moonstone
The two haulers I had been assigned to help smooth the mainhall have been quite excellent learners. They may be naturals at this sort of work, which would be great for all of us if we decide to implement a minecart network here.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2012, 04:27:15 pm »

Personal journal of Overmind, entry 3
I think I finally see why winter has so much hatred for the wild life, Me and Harper were gatherin' some wood when out of nowhere Armok damned BUZZARDS came swooping at us.Screeching and pecking at us like the devil himself was after us. Well I promptly told them to go jump in lava with the tip of me spear. Like I said, I won't let any of those filthy things lay a finger on me friends.

One of them got lucky though and got me in the ankle, hurts like hell but no real damage was done.

On a happier note I finally did it. Me and Laularukyrumo are in love, I was surprised myself when I admitted my feelings to her. It must be Avuz watchin' over us that we seem to have the luck to find gold veins deep in this wasteland, Babylon made a fine statue that Harper instantly placed in the dining hall for all to see.

He also annouced that Rooms have been planned out for all of us, Mind you there little more than holes in the wall but Its always nicer to have a little privacy. I Got me hands full making beds to be placed in these rooms. speakin' of witch I should probably get back to that...
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2012, 05:14:48 pm »

And I've had six wagons bring none! Unless you're specifically asking for something, its a hit and miss affair as to whether they'll have what you want; this is why alot of people choose to bring one on Embark just in case the first caravan forgets to bring one along.

Winter would be quite handy at establishing a guard tower, perhaps a unit of marksdwarves and generally stregnthen the fortress for eventual invaders or further problems, or something to that effect. Harper might make him overseer for a year with this on mind.
Yeah, we can run with that; now I've got the basics down it does make sense for me to ask someone with a mind in ambushes and the wilderness to come up with ideas that I can't think of regarding the fort and protection thereof. Harper's also probably had enough stress the past year. :D

I've enjoyed reading everyones diaries so far! Great stuff!

Anyway, no requests for caps? I'll probably post a general "here's the state of the fortress now" at the very least. I've taken it slow and cautious in my set-up, but as a result, we should probably be safe from serious ambushes/sieges for a little while, which is probably a good idea until we can get a danger-room up or get some training done for a few more soldiers.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2012, 06:13:38 pm »

Maybe a map or two?

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2012, 07:34:10 pm »

until we can get a danger-room up or get some training done for a few more soldiers.

No danger-rooms. Danger-rooms are for the weak. Lakebones is not weak!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »

Real dwarves train by dropping quarry bush leaves at themselves until they become SUPERMAN.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »

Fishybangs journal.

Sandstone,
Well I finally arived, not much, but as long as there are critters to chop im ok. The overseer is a nice enough man, but keeps giving me odd looks whenever i walk by.

Moonstone,
I swear, if i hear another hymn im going to go mental, and nobody want's to see that. While me, aussie, and pufferfish were working on smoothing the walls Bdak started to sing, and didn't stop for 4 hours, 4 HOURS. Anyway, smoothing is soothing, gives me something to think about, other than chopping.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:23 am »

Do we have a bee industry yet? I've just thought of beeswax earplugs!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2012, 09:02:49 am »

19th of Opal

Things have been quiet for awhile as the wintertime sets in. Another convoy of huge bugs wandered by the outpost. I heard someone call them 'Thrips' but I have no idea what a thrip is.

Also, Salmeuk informs me that our Coke supplies are starting to get a little low. I guess that Lignite we brought was only going to last so long. I may need to get chopping once more if we need to use Charcoal. I have considered some exploration mining to see if we can find some, though I recall I having asked Kadol to make sure he brought Lignite and Chalk in the off-chance we still needed them next year.

1st of Obsidian

The main hall is now fully smooth and I have to say it looks rather nice. Aussieevil decided to proclaim her pupils as being proper engravers now, and I think their hard work warrants it. I've also sorted the food stockpile into discreet booze and food sections, since it was getting a bit of pain determining what a barrel contained without opening it!

I also realised from my sorting that we appeared to be out of Plump Helmet Seeds. This is a little bit of a blunder on my part, I should have picked some up from the Caravan. Still, I wonder what happened to the ones we had at embark... did they rot?

17th of Obsidian

I saw Overmind lead Fishybang in some military drills today, apparently recalling some of his old lessons and trying to impart them on our new Axedwarf. They've decided to call their little two man squad 'The Tin Competitions' for some reason. Perhaps thats some military joke I don't get, but whatever makes them happy I guess.

By the way, I've assigned one of our old dormitories (the one next to the hospital) for use as their barracks. Seems like the best use of the area, since its also close to the surface and the fortifications in case of outside attack.

That said, I'm a little concerned that frankly... I know nothing about how to defend a settlement. I've been frustrating myself for days trying to come up with an architectural plan that allows us to expand from our little stockade, but every time I run the sums I conclude such a structure will probably just sink into the soil, not maintain its own weight and collapse, or otherwise not provide us with adequate defence in a pinch.

This is quite a predicament. Although we've avoided the notice of most of the wildlife save a few angry birds and cockroach men so far, there is no guarantee that this will last. Our old homeland, the Just Fence, was consistantly at war with goblins, and I've heard of the things looting and ambushing all the time in the area just a few miles to the south-east. How long is it before they notice us here?

After all, one caravan headed this way could be a fluke, but when/if elves and humans start wandering over, its going to be fairly obvious whats going on in the area, and the Goblins aren't going to care that we're no longer related to the place that exiled us, are they? They're just going to want to loot, burn and kidnap children. I shall have to think on what to do...

30th of Obsidian

I had a short meeting at the dining room, and I told everyone of my concerns. I'd been stressing over these things for days, so I figured it was best to have these concerns in the open.

And of course, an immediately obvious solution presented itself once everyone had listened. Get someone else to take the mantle of overseer for awhile.

I've become so engrained on this being my role, and my duty, that I've forgetton something simple: that I'm not alone here.

The others held a vote as to who would be useful to help improve the defences of the fort and make it defensible; and to my surprise, Winter was voted in by a landslide margin. I guess he's become dear to everyone these past few months; and its certainly true that a man with a head for violence (but actually a lick a sense sometimes) is going to be a good choice, even if he thinks otherwise.

1st of Granite

It's the new year, and I've been briefing Winter all morning about the ins and outs of our fortress, including taking stocks, giving work orders, and processing information. He looks a little woozy having to take all the data in, but I assured him that I'd still always be on hand to help with designing and designating building orders, and of course I'd be glad to draw up any architectural plans he'd need to make our new defences work.

I think I'm still nominally considered the expedition leader and our broker due to my highly proficient appraisal skills, but I'm sure that will change over time, and I'll certainly enjoy being free from some of my responsibilities; perhaps I'll even have time to just draw buildings for fun again. Haven't done that at all in the past year!

I've handed Winter the maps of the fort and a transcript of certain relevant diary entries to arm him with all the information he needs for his tenure...

MAPS FROM END:

Outside/Ground Floor

B1 {Trade Depot}

B2 {Ramp/Initial Dorm}

B3 {Ramp/Barracks 1/Hospital}

B4 {Stockpile Zone}

B5 {Work Level}

B6 {Main Hall, Food & Offices}

B7 {Living Quarters}

Anyway, I'm done. I'll post the area map and the save for Winter to get started in the next post. Just let me prep those...
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 09:07:44 am »

Map of about 2/3 of the outside area

Hypersnap had a hissy fit and died before I could get snaps of all the outer area; so this is the top left 2/3's of the map. So, NO we are NOT right near the map edge. Doesn't matter much anyway, the bottom part and right part are just more of the same sort of terrain (forest/badlands respectively).

Here's the link to the save on Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/?rrs7as9f9a336u5
(Just to check, you ONLY need the region folder, right? Nothing else? Not done this before, see...)

Once AustralianWinter has the save, he has his 5 days. I look forward to seeing what happens!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:11:07 am by eharper256 »

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:25 pm »

I'm gonna write some flavor entries while we wait by going through with Legends Viewer.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »

I'm gonna write some flavor entries while we wait by going through with Legends Viewer.
Lol, you'll see all my failures of adventurers if you do that, should give you a laugh or two.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31