Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69101 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [Frozen Lake Succession Fort]
« Reply #225 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:29 pm »

Personally, I justify atom-smashers as "they -should- leave dust behind, but the dust blows away in the wind so it's all good". :P

They're also a surprisingly effective way of removing dwarves that need to be executed. As long as nobody sees him get atom-smashed, and you wait a week to engrave him in a slab, nobody gets pissy.

As far as overland seeds, I figure I'll forbid a few of each useful type and then have the rest turned into biscuits. Look forward to a new entry coming soon~
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:40:26 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 14, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

It's been a while since I wrote a journal entry... how is my dwarf doing?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2012, 05:41:34 pm »

Exactly the same as he was doing when Overmind passed the save on.

My computer crashed while I was playing, and in doing so, the whole region got borked. I'm restoring from Overmind's save, but... poo. I have to fix the fort all over again :P
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

My computer crashed while I was playing, and in doing so, the whole region got borked. I'm restoring from Overmind's save, but... poo. I have to fix the fort all over again :P

TIME PARADOX
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 14, 2012, 06:09:15 pm »

The only possible paradox I can think of is the dorfing I did, and I was able to look at their last names and match up who became who. So thank god for THAT.

I'm just not even going to acknowledge in my entries that anything even happened. Probably.

Hopefully.

Maybe.
DUN DUN DUN

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 14, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

Journal of Laularu Kyrumo, Overseer, Spring Entry

Ugh.

I'm completely exasperated from trying to run this place. To think they expected Overmind to do this in his condition? No wonder he passed on...

I woke up one morning, and did a double take when I looked at the date. Apparently I'd been passed out for a week in a stupor, after spending a few hours grieving over the death of Overmind. When I woke up, it took me a few days more to figure out what I was doing and what had happened. Apparently, true to my extended dream, they'd named me successor, and as such, I decided to implement some of the ideas from my dream.

Unfortunately, it didn't take long before a rather severe problem presented itself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah. That's not good. I'm having room for a new, massive farm dug out near the current one, more than the size of all the farm plots we have combined. I've also got plans in the works for a greenhouse, but that's long-term construction. Luckily, the new migrants we got, while a bunch of hooping freeloaders, brought some pack animals with them. Water Buffalo roast for dinner tonight!

We also are completely out of coal. I've ordered no less than twenty wooden axes created, to make sure we have as many people cutting wood as possible. Because until we can get settled in and locate Armok's precious Lifeblood, we're gonna need to burn a lot of trees.

With my quick thinking, though, we're going to pull through this. A little famine isn't going to be the end of--

Oh shit.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #231 on: December 15, 2012, 05:00:52 am »

Oh shit.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Goodness knows how it got this far, I left the fortress with nearly 300 meals. I can only assume that Bdak and Overmind never bothered to even check the stocks screen. I also definately ordered lignite, milk and various meats with the caravan, all with a 5* priority in the trade agreement, so again I assume no-one traded for it last year. I also certainly ordered a Tame Giant Cave Spider at 3*, but I'm guessing nobody noticed how awesome that could be for defence here. Le sigh...

Actually, there might be one other paradox. The kid may have not thought it a good idea to take a nap this time... :D

"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 15, 2012, 06:17:27 am »

I fear for my dwarf and the fortress...
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:12 am »

Goodness knows how it got this far, I left the fortress with nearly 300 meals. I can only assume that Bdak and Overmind never bothered to even check the stocks screen.
Don't play the blame game, else you won't like the response.  :o

Just fix the problem, it's Dwarf Fortress... not difficult to fix. Butcher something, gather plants, steal from elfs, send a herd of fisherdwarfs, small animal capture. You've got options!

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 15, 2012, 10:11:10 am »

Oh shit.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Goodness knows how it got this far, I left the fortress with nearly 300 meals. I can only assume that Bdak and Overmind never bothered to even check the stocks screen. I also definately ordered lignite, milk and various meats with the caravan, all with a 5* priority in the trade agreement, so again I assume no-one traded for it last year. I also certainly ordered a Tame Giant Cave Spider at 3*, but I'm guessing nobody noticed how awesome that could be for defence here. Le sigh...

Actually, there might be one other paradox. The kid may have not thought it a good idea to take a nap this time... :D

Jesus, we're playing a succession game! It WILL fail - and it should, because losing is fun.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #235 on: December 15, 2012, 12:20:32 pm »

:o Eh? I think you guys got the wrong end of the stick. Sorry if my post sounded negative or finger-pointing, that was not the intent.

Basically, I REALLY want the place to succeed: to me, losing is only !!FUN!! when you struggle against an inevitable doom, die to something hilariously unexpected, or otherwise go out in a crash of glory. If the fort explodes due to a siege, a vicious tantrum spiral, vampires, or flooding with magma, then thats fine, but an end from something (in this case) preventable, like a famine, seems just... well... pathetic...

Perhaps I'm just an insane optimist, but my mantra is to think that whilst something may eventually fail, one should never accept that as a possibility until it happens; only then does one bow out with grace.

Well anyway, I guess thats just my opinion. I'm also rather good at digging my own grave in situations like this; so I'll say no more besides to apologise once more for any perceived slight.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 15, 2012, 07:41:33 pm »

Journal of Laularu Kyrumo, Overseer, Late Spring 103

Well, thank Armok for paperwork. Looking over the documents, I was able to determine that, apart from the lever I personally installed that operates the crematorium, the unlabeled lever was the only one in the fort. Surmising that it locked the front gate, I immediately ordered it pulled, sealing the invading forces off. Unfortunately, I forgot about one little mishap. Remember I mentioned that I was starting preliminary excavations on a greenhouse? Well, the whole group of miners was inside at the time! And it was open to the outside. I quickly had them dig through the wall and put up a new one in its place, after getting the miners through to safety, and I heard the thump of a troll running headfirst into the wall just as it was finished. I hope this thing holds them out.

Unfortunately, Bembul and one cat were not so lucky. They chose the path that I had already sealed off, and were caught by a whole squad of trolls. Needless to say, they did not survive. I will have some of the new slabs engraved with their names in memorial.

As far as food goes, I looked over the stocks. Total stores clock in at 730, of which 474 of those items were seeds. Most of which I have ordered to be cooked into some edible form. We have only a few prepared meals, as they are being eaten by the briefly starved populace faster than they can be made. Luckily, we have 50 units of meat, and I have forbade cooking of them, so that they may last longer. Booze stocks are about 150, and so I'm not concerned there--as long as we can get farming up and running before everyone starves, we should be able to wait this out until the goblins go home. I do NOT want to engage them.

God. I can't even begin to tell you how long I've been in the kitchen lately. I remember when I would cook up masterpieces just to please the others. Now I'm mashing up seeds and throwing in spices and drowning them all in booze, as fast as I possibly can, just so I can keep the others from starving. It's so stressful... and Harper's really showing it. Poor guy. We got him the backpack he wanted, and he turned around and immediately ordered three more. I know how much they comfort you, but seriously, we need to conserve our resources if we're going to make it through. Luxuries are not going to put food on the table, and we certainly aren't going to convince the goblins to go away with a bribe of backpacks.

Though perhaps if we give them all the babies that keep popping out. It scares me to say this, but I've honestly considered butchering one of the young ones, just so we don't all starve. I know I'd be exiled or worse, though, and as much as the idea of sending our military to suicide march against the goblin storm scares me, the idea of having to escape all the goblins myself--or worse, fight them off--is even worse.

I need a drink.

Journal of Laularu Kyrumo, Overseer, Summer 103

Summer is my favorite time of year.

Why? Pig tails are in season, that's why. Sure, they're "technically" in season during autumn, but if you plant them then, there's no way they can mature before winter comes and kills them all. So you gotta plant 'em when it's hot out!

Speaking of plants, guess what we don't have in this fortress? Plump helmets, that's what. Yeah, I know, dwarves aren't often fond of eating nothing but, but they're an extremely reliable source of quick food, which we desperately need. Sadly we'll need to wait until the next caravan comes along, and buy out their stock. Good lord, I doubt we'll even GET a caravan, thanks to those bloody fantastic goblins blocking our way. Last count, there were no less than 8 trolls, 6 Goblin swordsmen mounted on cave crocodiles, 9 Goblin swordsmen on Giant Olms, 5 goblin axemen on cave crocodiles, 10 goblin axemen on Giant Olms, and a pair of master lashers, one on a croc and one on an olm.

Oh. And ten Giant Thrips and a giant badger. The thrips don't do anything, but I'm hoping the badger will get cranky (as they are oft to do) and take out a few dirty invaders for me. Not going outside as long as the number of goblins is at least twice the number of militants, and that's going to be a while.

At least the creative spirit is alive and well. Check out this goodie, produced by our new legendary clothier. Yes, we now have two of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah. Because that's necessary. Also, note the first image. Let it be known that Bomrek is a child. Thanks a lot, Degel, thanks for promoting child labor in our history. I hate you. Go make me some masterwork bags and shut up.

The food stores are lowering every day. With so many dwarves, the food is eaten faster than it can be produced. I'm hoping the crop of incoming plants can save us all, cause otherwise, we're gonna have to go out in a blaze of glory...

Good news is, while I was excavating the food stockpile to make room for more stuff (if we ever actually get some), I found veins of gold, iron, lignite... If we survive, then we're gonna be set. I'm also ordering the whole floor that used to be the stockades to be dug out, and I'm going to turn it into a massive farming complex. We will not starve this day.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:21:16 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #237 on: December 16, 2012, 04:16:52 am »

Blimey, the gobbos are getting REALLY serious with that force. :o I'd be wary of taking that lot on with a danger room trained force, never mind Lakebone's militia, so you made the right choice, I think. Lets hope they get bored.

Also, that loincloth is clearly a chastity belt (when its got lead, tourmaline and gold parts!) covered in pictures of child labour to warn men away from it. Shame dwarves breed with spores and its useless, Degel (laughs).

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »

This farming situation is really getting on my nerves. We're out of meat now, we've got a few prepared meals but the consumption to production ratio is still negative. I've ordered all kitchens to cooking detail, so we can turn the 400 remaining seeds into something useful. Hopefully the quarry bushes will provide enough substance to help us last.

The goblins, though, are making this a serious problem. I've decided to give them an incentive to leave. We opened the bridge just long enough for them to come running, then shut the door in their faces, and had the Imperial Keys unload their quivers into anybody who wasn't smart enough to get out of dodge. Nobody's died yet, but there have been some rather serious injuries dispersed among the goblin population. With any luck, they'll give up and leave, or we'll clean them all off the face of the planet. Oh, and we also caught a few in our cage traps. There's not enough cages to catch them all, but a few out of the fight is good enough.

Haha.... Trolls, Crocs and Olms are starting to fall to their injuries, bleeding out around our gates. I'm not sure, but I think a couple swordsmen might also have fallen, assuming they're not from past raids. Sucks to be them, though, that's my philosophy. You mess with the bull, you get the horns, bitch!

A male goose has been found dead. Apparently it flew down from the safety of the fort and a swordsman chopped it up. Oh well. It was a named pet, so I couldn't have butchered it anyways. Minus one useless fowl I guess. As of now, there are 7 wild animals that aren't doing anything, and 61 invaders, 8 of which are currently enjoying a time-out in a cage trap. I expect the number to decrease as they bleed out. We've got enough bolts that I simply don't care. I've turned off glass production for now, and ordered the smelting of iron ore as well as the production of iron bolts. This'll keep us from running out before all the greenskins bleed to death.

Scratch that last number. Down to 55 invaders, and that's cause some of the foul monsters ran away! Guess they didn't like the idea of being pincushions.

One more troll is dead, and four creatures have fled. I saw the second group of gobbos evacuate their position--not sure if they're fleeing or coming up for a round of bolts themselves, but either works for me.

Three more gone. I do believe we've broken the siege. I'm just gonna wait until these bloody bastards are gone and then claim the goblinite.

Almost all of the goblins are gone, save for a few that are stubborn enough to stick around and/or too heavily wounded to move. I think I'll let the bolts fly a bit longer before releasing the militia to clean up stragglers.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 09:53:22 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 16, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »

Uh, uh! Have Winter killed anyone? If he has, I'm writing a journal!
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 31