Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My fortress died today in a glorious way  (Read 845 times)

herblin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fortress died today in a glorious way
« on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:38 pm »

I was on year 7 of this fortress and was starting to feel a bit unstoppable (though I feel very silly now).  My Military seemed to destroy goblin invasions with ease, and my main problem became dealing with dwarves falling in the river / going over the falls (Tried restrictions, tried deleting items in river with df hack etc but they just seemed to really want to go in there )

Anyways, a Forgotten beast shows up, and it's got webs.  So I know I wont be able to likely melee this thing, but it's in a very confined area, so I try anyways.  Since it's made of glass I assume bolts / arrows probably not going to be so great. I send in my champion who manages to tear a chunk out of it's arm, then dies getting his head smashed in in the process.  The FB picks up my champions steel boot and starts using this as a weapon and manages to crush the heads in of every dwarf I throw at him with it.  I exhaust my military, though he's extremely wounded at this time I figure a few lucky dwarves might just take him out?  And then I can rebuild with the small population left over (about 40 at this point as the FB has been killing miners and web collectors as well)

So I make two new squads, assigning dwarves to go pick up countless steel armor sets I had planned to sell to a caravan to build up my reputation when all of a sudden a goblin invasion of 80+ shows up at the same time!

My military didn't even get a chance to equip themselves  and the last fight log I read was a militia captain getting eaten by a dog.  Noone survived, though some visitors seemed to be trying to hole up in a church.

The goblins overwhelmed the FB and brought it down, though suffering some casualties, I like to think without my dwarves it probably would have murdered them all... Oh well! FUN!

Also if anyone's interested I happened to be recording this as an attempt at a let's play I had a lot of fun though I am in no way any level of expert at this titles.

https://youtu.be/8Sia76vT9S0

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: My fortress died today in a glorious way
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 01:58:42 pm »

*Taps plays from Ryukan's Fortress, honoring your Youtube fort*
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

herblin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:00:03 pm »

I sent you in solo first, but your head exploded

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse