Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional  (Read 11170 times)

Tarangini

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a mandarin!
    • View Profile
Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2013, 09:07:11 am »

Well, there be supply where there's demand. It's called ca- ca... capitalism. That outta be the word. Now, where were we?

Luther [1] stands up. He ain't gotta single clue a-bout what's going on. Through the tube Doc's voice echoes, and Luther learns that they're going to be dropping like a stone now. Don't sound good. [1] Not good at all.

Jameson [2] dashes towards the deck. He finds a scene straight out of his worst nightmares. Or maybe something even worse. It's kinda like a cloud, he supposes, 'cept it's trying to eat the ship. Tendrils of cloud all over the deck and the railing. He swears he can see the wood decay, but rubbing his eyes tell him he's wrong.

Doc [1,1,4] cuts the steam to the tanks. All of it. He sees the little value markers spin around, and he sends all of it to the weapons. They're practically bursting at the seams, now, just ready to go ahead and dispense justice to the poor world. Just gotta get a target. Can't go around shooting at shadows, no sir. The steam reservoir for the weapon systems are at full, in the green. On the other hand, nothing else happens. No falling, none of that great one centiclick per second freefall, not even a budge. It's eerie calm. He looks at the wind meter, which is set at a calm 2 milliclicks per second. Barely a breeze out there.

Eunh [1] shoots at the clouds.

The flak seems to be absorbed into the clouds, sinking into it without making a dent.

[5] Suddenly, some of it bounces back from the cloud, shattered and generally in pieces. The howling dies down a little, before ascending into another crescendo of wails and lament. Eunh is torn between blocking his ears and shooting more at the invisible, very audible enemy. [6] The ship shifts a little, and slowly starts moving. But it ain't moving down. It's moving up. Eunh's not sure it's supposed to do that.

Roland hears the flak from upstairs and decides to join in. [6+1] With the dull roar he is accustomed to, black spheres take flight into the sky, shortly being swallowed into the bank of fog. The cannon shudders and slides backwards, pneumatic compensators hissing to reduce the shock Vicky takes. From his experience in the Navy, ships with cannons usually also have tiny steam thrusters to prevent the ship from shaking too much.

Suffice to say Vicky doesn't seem to have any.

The whole ship rocks as Roland fires four cannon shots into the clouds. The air trembles, and the clouds grow even fainter. Vicky starts moving. Up.

Sairi [3] heads towards the deck. He sees what surely must have come straight from a sailor's nightmare. The cloud has tendrils, and the tendrils have the ship. A tiny stream of particles detaches from Vicky's poor, rich railing and heads into the clouds merrily. Then, a shudder shakes the ship, while the dull thumping of flak firing away echoes through the air; Sairi is knocked off balance, and he stumbles as Vicky rocks gently. To further his bewilderment, Vicky starts moving up. She also starts tilting very slightly towards the aft.

[5] Sairi barges into the pilot's hex, where Doc is standing at the control panels.

Don't blame this old man for the brevity. It ain't easy starting up after so long. Did my best.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky—Compensation Thrusters Optional
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2013, 11:43:54 am »

((Hmm. I have a feeling that this ominously bolded text in the middle of non-bold description is somehow relevant to the clouds' change in behavior.
I suggest that we follow it for one turn and see if anything changes.))

Doc Anderson turned around and looked at the fox-man with a detached expression on his face.

"Hey, kid. The rolling clouds caught the ship, our thrusters aren't strong enough to barge through the clouds and even with no steam in the tanks we can't fall down - instead, we're going up. Flak doesn't do much more than make the clouds angry and the cannons scare them for some reason, but not enough to drive them off.
"Honestly, I'm out of ideas on how to... hold on, I just thought of something - I'm grasping at the straws right now, but it's got to be better than nothing. Take the helm, and switch power between the fore and aft thrusters - try and make it unpredictable, if you can. The clouds' grip appears to weaken when the ship shakes, so let's shake it with all we've got."

He leaned towards the ship-wide speaker:

"Alright, people, new tactic: don't use the flak! Load the cannons, then fire them as soon as you hear the other side's cannons going off! The clouds seem to hate sudden movements, so let's try and get this old girl shaking!"

Give Sairi the helm. Take a Resonance Crystal and order the Firing Solution to load cannons and fire them immediately after it hears the other side's cannons go off; tell the bot to aim at whatever its sensors register as strange.

Spoiler: Doc Anderson (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:45:38 am by HmH »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2013, 03:32:07 pm »

Check if the wood is actually decaying. Then yell "BEGONE" at the cloud. Then go back to repairing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Setting Sail
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:23 am »

"Let's see what we can do against these clouds..." Eunh mumbles as turns to head towards the cannons after deciding there isn't much to be done with flak. Right as he is about to leave, something nags the back of his mind. Oh, yes. The robot which had helped them before.

Eunh checks if the gunner robot is online and if the robot doesn't happen to be online, moves to the cannons to check exactl how many are ready to fire.
Spoiler: Eunh Destern (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2013, 09:02:46 pm »

((Remember that link I posted about Castle in the Sky? If anyone watched it - that's how I visualize our in-ship communication tubes :P

Editing later anyway - pretty busy as of the moment. Thanks Tarangini!))

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:25 pm »

((Remember that link I posted about Castle in the Sky? If anyone watched it - that's how I visualize our in-ship communication tubes :P

Editing later anyway - pretty busy as of the moment. Thanks Tarangini!))

I didn't watch the clip, but I have seen Castle in the Sky before, its my favorite Miyazaki movie. If we get the dragonfly pirate flying things, that would be sweet, and I agree with you that Goliath is a good battleship idea.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Ship Vicky - Bad Moon Rising
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2013, 05:54:24 am »

"NotGoodNotGoodNotGoodNotGood."
try to get to somewhere where I can help.
Spoiler: Lüther von Schankel (click to show/hide)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2013, 07:16:21 am »

Also Wwolin told me he's dropping out of playing RTDs so he'll have more time to GM. So he might be out in this one.
Sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:36 pm »

The ship. Particles being siphoned away, impossible. Can't be the cloud. Clouds are vapor and water - this one has tangible...tentacles, like a flying kraken. Not to say that the oceans are flying but-

Ok ok ok ok. It seems to be dissolving the ship through tiny little bits. And now we're moving up. Takes a lot of force to life more than a hundred tons. Air tanks didn't hold. It's pretty much under us. We're getting...raised.

Sairi held onto the railing as he heard the Doc's words. "If we're being raised, its either an updraft from the winds, or a very strong force under us. Judging by the lack of air tanks and barometric buoyancy, I'm siding with the latter. I'd follow your plan, but let's focus on getting our control back over the ship. Glad to see the pipelines are holding," he said, gesturing to the ever-open conical pipes heading everywhere around the ship for their voices to be heard.

"Brace yourselves!"

Let's do this, Doc.
Spoiler: Sairi Lunaria (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]