Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: 'Yìhétuán Yùndòng': The Great Boxer Rebellion (Story 11: Chinese Standoff)  (Read 22762 times)

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Yìhétuán Yùndòng': The Great Boxer Rebellion (Story 4: Battlecries)
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2013, 08:10:34 pm »

Oh whoops, I ought I had posted, thanks for the warning.

'Brutal...This is awful. But it's far too late to back out now...'

Chen closes his eyes and takes a deep breath to compose himself before readying his crossbow and picking off the French units down below.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2013, 09:59:29 pm »

Hey guys, I've completed 3/4ths of the turn now that I've gotten some free time.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Yìhétuán Yùndòng': The Great Boxer Rebellion (Story 5: Not Dead Yet!)
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2013, 08:23:34 pm »

Story 5: Not Dead Yet!

"So, do you have any assignment I could help with?" Nikolae asked, stretching and sighing. "I'd rather have something to keep me busy until I decide what I should be doing here, and I already worked as a bodyguard before." The shopkeeper shakes his head. "Nothing that I need right now. But you look the dueling type, and I heard that there's a tournament going on at the stadium. It's right over there if you are interested." He points to a dome-shaped building in the distance.

Spoiler: Nikolae Kriegsmacher (click to show/hide)

Antonio and the boy head out of town to ambush the spice caravan, traveling the western road. As the sun sets down in the sky after a few miles of travel, Antonio and the boy go a few meters offroads into some bushes where they watch the road. Sure enough, the jumbling caravan comes rolling into view. There's four horses on the front, and the carriage is an elaborate red and gold affair, with a driver. Antonio can see that a few people are inside the carriage, and that there are crates lodged in the back. As it comes nearer to their position, the Chinese boy pulls a knife out of his pocket and clutches it.

Spoiler: Antonio Fernandez (click to show/hide)

Chen is repulsed by the vicious combat, but he does what he needs to. He looks down the middle of his crossbow and aims towards the French liens down below. (5 vs. 4) Chen tugs on the crossbow lever to fire the first bolt, and then repeats to fire a succession of shots. He sees his bolts fly into the French lines, wounding soldiers, occasionally on a mortal scale. The rest of the missile troop fires (3 vs. 5) but fails to repeat Chen's success.

The melee group hacks into the French (5 vs. 6) taking down some, but the French are able to form a circle to defend themselves. (6 vs. 3) The French keep the Boxer units away, stabbing those who come too close on bayonets or swords. As the going gets rough, the cavalry charges in from the shadows, appearing out of nowhere with the element of surprise and shock on their side. (5+1 vs. 4) The horses barrel through the French men who don't expect it and are instantly run through with spears. The few French men that ran for the machine guns are slain by the horse warriors.

Boxer Army: 74
French Army: 46

Spoiler: Chen Yu (Zijin) (click to show/hide)

"I would be much obliged, sir, but I do most of my work by myself. I'd not want to occupy your attention whilst on your steed at the moment, I'd stay alongside your men in the meantime, if its alright, sir.

"As for your journey...I'd really like to give a hand on this pursuit."

"As you wish, milady." At this point Leia began asking about Captain Brimstone's soldiers. "Well, they're fresh out of the islands and most of em' have had some experience fighting the Spaniards back in the day. They've got all their own little tales to spin bout'. There's Charles, who lost an arm and continued to keep fightin', Little Barro once snuck into a whole camp undetected to go still some supplies for us, and there's Big Hermano who has killed 16 men with just his knife. Feel free to talk to any of em'." The army continues marching onwards, and the Chinese citizens that it passes take a moment to look at the moving troop before going back to their routines.

Spoiler: Leia Sano (click to show/hide)

Kenshin breathes heavily as he prepares himself to ambush these men, gripping his right hand around his Sabre and his left around his gun. After a few moments and a brief prayer, Kenshin screams a war cry and runs out of nowhere from the cave. The men all jump, some of the ones on the ground falling over. Kenshin runs at the man preparing food with his sabre out tip-first (3+1(Ambushed) vs. 5) but the man falls flat on the ground, allowing the blade to pass right by him and pierce the food pot instead. Kenshin stabs into the pot and pulls his blade back out, the hole in the pot sending boiling water all over the floor. Kenshin sees the bandits who were sitting down begin to stand up, and before they fully come to their feet Kenshin points his revolver at them and begins firing. (1 vs. 4) Kenshin fires shots around the men as they stand up, but none connect. As he fires, the bandit whom Kenshin tried to stab leaps up and tackles Kenshin (3 vs. 1) bringing both of them to the ground. (4+1 vs. 2) The bandit raises his hand to strike at Kenshin, but Kenshin hits him with the flat side of his saber, and the bandit flies off of him, clutching his wounded head in pain. Kenshin stands up, and at this point the bandits have had enough time to draw a couple guns and a sword, but mainly knives.

Spoiler: Kenshin Gato (click to show/hide)

"Let's try setting fire to the church. Some of you go find wood that can burn and throw burning sticks into the church. Rest continue laying down just enough suppressing fire to intimidate them."

Wang stamps out orders and a couple soldiers jump into the trees nearby to scavenge for sticks. Meanwhile, both sides return occasional fire, none of it getting close to hitting anyone. Eventually, the two soldiers run back into the fray with their makeshift torches of tree wood. They charge the church, pulling their arms back to prepare for a throw, (1 vs. 5) but their sticks have the misfortune of colliding in mid-air and falling between the church and Wang's division. The fires light the grass and soon a thick cloud of smoke blocks the view of both sides from each other. (2-1 vs. 1) Wang's troops fire into the church, but don't seem to hit anything through the smoke. The rebels return fire, and a soldier comments "Well at least they can't hit us through this-" (5-1 vs. 1) the cocky soldier is struck in the head by a rifle bullet and dies instantly, the first fatality of Wang's unit. Another bullet comes flying through and hits another one of Wang's soldiers, hitting him in the arm and causing him to drop his weapon.

Wang's Unit: 5 (2 Injured)
Rebels: 8? (True # unknown)

Spoiler: Wang Tsaongpa (click to show/hide)

"I'll take the knives and the Whip. Could be useful for getting me a ride." Charley drops the rest of his money on the counter. "Glad to do business with you sir," remarks the shopkeeper as he takes the money and slides the equipment over to Charley. Charley stashes the Lasso in his pack and the knives in his belt before heading out.

Ducking out of the marketplace, Charley looks for an unguarded horse. Charley comes across a one-horse stable in a quiet back alley where there are no people. There is a man next to the stable, but he appears to be sleeping.

Spoiler: Charley Dalarko (click to show/hide)

Akio delves into the port city, looking for some temporary work. After a bit of poking around, he comes to a board surrounded by mercenaries. Looks like this is what he wants.

The boards lists different categories of jobs. The first is bounty hunting, and it seems in China you have to take some form of identification off of your target when you kill them, such as something precious that they would hold onto, or their decapitated head. Another type of job is clearing out the dangerous animals terrorizing the surrounding populace. The last are not job descriptions, but addresses where any takers can be given private, usually personal assignments.
Now Akio decides if any of these sound interesting...

Spoiler: Akio Mitsuru (click to show/hide)
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:41 pm »

Akio quickly looked up and down the board before taking one of the adresses and heading off to it.

GraveHaunter92

• Bay Watcher
  • All legends are true, few are accurate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »

Although his ambush did not go as expected, Kenshin refuses to back down and will fight on with every ounce of his courage!
Dropping his revolver, Kenshin uses his free hand to grasp the stunned bandit by his collar, and raising the bandit to his feet, Kenshin attempts to throttle the man into the group of bandits before charging forward himself with his sword raised to strike.
Jesus must have been guiding him in living out the way of the samurai.

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2013, 10:53:17 pm »

Suppressing his emotions Chen continues to fire down on the French soldiers.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:18 am »

"Ohh, dueling." Nikolai exclaimed with a low rumbling voice. "Reminds me of my younger years. Well, I always get in trouble anyway. Fighting in an official tournament is a better idea than going around until bad luck finds me."

Move over to the stadium to check things out there.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2013, 03:55:20 pm »

(We should have a waitlist update, see who's still actually waiting in case someone dies)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2013, 04:03:30 pm »

((Well I'm here.))
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2013, 04:03:36 pm »

"Okay boy, if we want to be able to sell these spices, then we have to make sure that nobody can report us. That means no survivors."

Antonio aims his rifle at the head of the carriage driver and fires, while staying in his hiding spot.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2013, 04:34:38 pm »

Seeing as it's my lucky day, quietly untie the horse, and ride away on it. To where, I do not know.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 12:06:51 am »

Choosing specific soldiers, eh? Leia mused as she moved along the men. She was glad that none of them cast her any...unbecoming looks, all disciplined and stoic as so.

Though it could be my sword...

The journeyman shrugged as she decided to go along with the officer's idea of taking a story from the specific people. Only after this one would she begin talking with the younger, and less identified troops.

And then, the destination hopefully. It would be good to pass and aid their time with talk.

Talk with Charles - how he keeps up with being an amputee, shouldn't he get a service leave with honors for that? Also, keep the morale of the people up! Document and ensure these people will be remembered.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »

Sky? :3

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:30 pm »

(...oooops >_<)

Wang grinds his teeth. "Fall back, treat the wounded, and wait for the smoke to clear, until we can hit them again. Be stealthy at it."

Retreat under the smoke cover, and get ready to sweep in again.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Yìhétuán Yùndòng': The Great Boxer Rebellion (Story 6: Fire Exchange)
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2013, 11:54:27 pm »

Story 6: Fire Exchange

"Ohh, dueling. Reminds me of my younger years. Well, I always get in trouble anyway. Fighting in an official tournament is a better idea than going around until bad luck finds me." Nikolae bids farewell to the shopkeeper to head up to the dome. He steps into the arena, and starts wading to the crowd. He comes to a man behind a table. "You want to try your luck in the next match? 12 Yuan is the entry fee. First match is a 32-man free for all. The 16 left standing advance to one-on-one duels goes on from there. Third place, runner-up and champion are all awarded. No killing or permanent damage. Victory is based when your opponents are incapacitated or surrender. We supply wooden replacements for your weapons, and we even have blunted arrows for your bows and small pellets for firearms. Any questions?"

Spoiler: Nikolae Kriegsmacher (click to show/hide)

"Okay boy, if we want to be able to sell these spices, then we have to make sure that nobody can report us. That means no survivors." The boy nods. Antonio looks points his rifle at the carriage driver. (4 vs. 2) The shot connects with the driver's shoulder, and the carriage stops as he falls off the side. The boy takes the opportunity to dash forwards out of the woods and pounce on the wounded driver. (4 vs. 1) The boy drives the knife right into the driver's chest. The driver seizes up before dying. The boy withdraws the knife and motions from Antonio to come forward.

Spoiler: Antonio Fernandez (click to show/hide)

Chen is repulsed by the killings, but continues his job. (6 vs. 1) He continues firing, perhaps too well, as every single one of his arrows manages to directly hit a Frenchman. Chen finishes his ammunition and heads back a bit to load another stack of arrows into his crossbow. (3 vs. 2) The rest of his unit fires into the camp, hitting a few more. (6 vs. 2) The melee Boxers continues hacking and stabbing through the French crowd. (3 vs. 6) The cavalry make another attempt to charge, but the French have loaded their guns up and are prepared. (1 vs. 4) Despite their preparedness, the French's volley fire only scares the cavalry off, not hitting them.

Chen's unit chief speaks out, "Some of you can head down there personally as you wish, there's only a few more to be picked off."

Boxer Army: 71
French Army: 24

Spoiler: Chen Yu (Zijin) (click to show/hide)

Intrigued by his condition, Leia finds Charles, the amputee soldier. She introduces herself and asks about his condition in the army. Charles looks up at her. "Well, my work isn't finished. If the Boxers win, China will go into chaos and turn all of Asia into a mess. The day this is finished is the day I head home and retire. I can't fire rifles anymore, but my bolo swing is as good as it's ever been." Leia declares to all the soldiers that their works will be published and documented for the future. They don't appear as exhilarated as she'd expected, as if there is an air of fatigue about them.

As the sun has fallen in the sky, Captain Brimstone commands his soldiers to stop off the road into the clearing. "Everyone, we set camp here for tonight. Get rested, as we wake early tomorrow!" The troops quickly disperse to build up their camping site.

Spoiler: Leia Sano (click to show/hide)

Kenshin drops his revolver and in steads grabs at the collar of the man on the ground. (5 vs. 4) The bandit resits, but Kenshin is still able to pull him up to his feet, and still in his grip. (5 vs. 2) Kenshin then easily throws the man into the bandits on the other side of the room. The flying body of their comrade trips them up, causes them to stagger and disperse. This makes Kenshin's job easier, and he grips his Sabre and charges the bandits. (4 vs. 6) He slashes at one man with a knife, who manages to dodge. (3 vs. 2) He takes his knife and manages to slash Kenshin in the side of his chest. It does not hit anything vital nor is it deep, but the wound starts bleeding.

Spoiler: Kenshin Gato (click to show/hide)

"Fall back, treat the wounded, and wait for the smoke to clear, until we can hit them again. Be stealthy at it." Wang's troops retreat from the smoke. In the lack of cover, they lay prone on the rock surface of the mountain, pointing their guns at the smoke. As it clears, they resume firing. (5 vs. 3) The Imperial forces manage to kill off more Boxer rebels. (5 vs. 2) Wang gets a personal hit as he shoots a fleeing Boxer in the back. One of the Boxers charges (1 vs. 3) (2 vs. 3) but is repealed by Imperial fire.

Wang's Unit: 5 (2 Injured)
Rebels: 5 (True # unknown)

Spoiler: Wang Tsaongpa (click to show/hide)

Charley goes with his luck and stealthy approaches the stable. (3+1(Sleeping Guard)) Charley manages to get through the gate unnoticed, and mounts the horse. The equine looks him in the eye curiously, and Charley just starts it's reins and it heads out the door. However, as he is trotting down, the hoof-beats on the ground wake the sleeping man up. "Huh? Hey, that's my horse!"

Spoiler: Charley Dalarko (click to show/hide)

Akio makes his way to one of the addresses on the board. He heads down the roads of the port town into dirt paths outside of it. The address location takes him to a house on the outskirts of the town. Outside, an older woman is sitting in a chair on the front lawn. Akio walks up to her, "Hi, are you the one that put a request up on the board in town?" She nods her head. "Yes. I am afraid  that my husband is having an affair. I'd like you to find him and scare some sense back into him so he'll come back to me. He has partially gray hair and a birthmark on the left side of his nose. He should be somewhere along the river near here."

Spoiler: Akio Mitsuru (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14