Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 952472 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Bear:1, Wizards:0
« Reply #4860 on: May 08, 2013, 07:33:46 am »

So a mcguffin's length of time.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: May 08, 2013, 07:41:19 am »

((Yes, though I suspect it may also be proportional to involvement of bears and beers  :P))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:03 am »

Does the sword word= knives, or is there a special word for knife?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: May 08, 2013, 08:40:37 am »

There's indeed a special word for knife, if I remember right. That isn't to say you could get a knife out of the sword word though, if your Pot roll isn't that great or you add the small word for some reason.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: May 08, 2013, 08:41:51 am »

Zerth is dagger/knife, but what Xan said as well.  You're as likely to get a dull sword from a 3 pot roll sword, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: May 08, 2013, 09:54:34 am »

As seperate words (that is, say them, wait for effect then say the next one), say:

Rothon       
Caltalleth     
Shareeb

Also make sure I'm not in the Hall of Heroes, so I can actually cast them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: May 08, 2013, 02:51:15 pm »

A what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »

McGuffin, its a device integral to the plot that can be used as both a unit of time, measurement of power, and a wide variety of other uses. Often associated with plot powers and so such.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4868 on: May 08, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »

((Turn length depends on actions taken, and they are always as long as they need to be. A turn of walking, searching, flying can be any length of time - 10, 20, 30 minutes, maybe an hour. A turn of saying words and doing nothing else is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 seconds. A turn of combat is very much the same, perhaps longer.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4869 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:31 pm »

(By the way, Now got favor levels don't disappear on death. Once you reach lvl 1, it stays that way. But the "charge" for the next level does go away. So be careful.)

"Fucking, SWITCH YOUR DAMN RUNE, GUY! I WANT MY OMNIPOTENCE SLASH HORRIFIC DEATH!"

In the meantime, words.

[pot:4]
Well, you get the giant and the strong, but the fast word kinda fails to materialize. Oh well.

Oh hey, a timer rune?  Now you have King of the Hill to see who gets to be activated upon!

Start checking the buildings/basements for some crazed villager to kill.  If one is found, will it to stab itself.

You find a pitch forker hanging out in the warehouse.

[spd:1]
[pit spd:5]
[pit dex:5]
[pit str:2]
[will:6+2]

The guy manages to carve a gouge into your arm before you get a mental hold on him and command him to fall on his own pitchfork. He dies rather horribly, but you don't get a magical soul. Damn it.

"~I-get-the-feeling-that-something-just-passed-me-by. No-matter.~"

And now we do that thing with the stuff.

[pot:3+1]
You summon what looks like the broken pieces of a bracelet.

Engage better living through rune magic

Acquire distortion greatbow from empiricist.
Waste remaining pool on courtyard zorhalths.

[pot:4+1]
Well that works nicely. You're now more sparkly then a poorly written vampire.
[pot:5,5,6,+1 all]
Yay godly favor.

[Team Skypirates: Gypsy Death Cursed title unlocked.

Current Skypirate Accolades:

Gypsy Death Cursed
Lucky Sons of Bitches]

Right as his fingers snapped, he felt a strange shifting, as if he was thrown very fast into pure air, then as if he was thrown right back as if a boomerang. The sound of snapped fingers resounded in the respawn chamber as a very confused Glassco, or at least what one can gleam from his masked face, looks around. "Well... Uh... That wasn't exactly what I meant by 'getting back fast.' Wait, shit, I left Sparky! Wonder if I'm still connected to him... Also, I feel kinda funny. Like... I lost connection with something, but feel... Stronger? Weird. I think I may be getting used to this death thing."
Spoiler: Funny Feeling (click to show/hide)
Glassco shook his head with a sigh. "Whatever. Wonder if I'm still connected to Sparky..." Glassco moves on down to the Hall of Heroes, and tests to see if he's still connected with Sparky.

[And in a single day, the Death-O-Meter rose two notches. Total running Death-O-Meter Count: Five]

(if you want to see the number of actual deaths, check the candle room.)

And you are no longer connected to sparky. He has flown free of this dreadful world of magic and accidental suicide.

Hide behind a nearby rock and will the rune to ACTIVATE!
If there is no nearby rock say "Chall-thel Adamenstiar Caoncarthel" and hide behind that.

You hide in the hall of heroes as well.

I follow after Glassco.
"I hope it does work. If not, we might need to build a new temporary airship, or maybe make ourselves some wings."

((On that note, is anyone willing to give me (or trade me) the word combination to get wings? I know all the relevant words but not how to do anything useful with them.))

Addendum:
After following Glassco out of the temple walls, I say "Taroth Caoncarthel".
Well, you follow him to the hall of heroes, but not yet outside. Considering the SCIENCE! happening outside, that might be a good idea.

((Missed me PW))
use skele-bro to assist with killing things (not players) that we find once we wander away from the monastery
(Check your status by the way, since that whole switching of gear around a half dozen times kinda left me unsure if your gear is right.)

You wander down toward the forest and eventually find a raider heavy standing around on the bridge near the raider cages. We'll do the combat next turn, once I know the equipment is right. Don't want you running in, thinking your armored and dying.

Didn't someone near the spawn have some free equipment they were handing out?
((Yeah, that's me, I'll be willing to provide equipment that either currently have (excluding my gauntlets) or I can make anything that requires four or less on demand as long as its creation potentially harmful to myself or any other player. I'll be heading to the room with the monks in it this turn.))

Silica runs to the edge of the anti-magic zone and says <words>. She will take it if it is something that she can safely hold. She will then walk to the room with the monks and deploy her forcefield facing the location of the circle and granting activation consent.
[pot:6+2]
You get 10 arrows that allow for the control of air.

Then you head inside and hide with the monks. Your gauntlets don't seem to function up here, but hell, if they don't then that circle probably won't reach here.

[I am kind of part of a research group. Members; 1, Me. I am currently trying to find artifacts and other things from the fallen Civilization.]
*Using 3 Heads as a base of operations search through the jungle for more ruins*

Well you reach as far in as the edge of the forest but...well...there's a big something or other rampaging around in there judging from the screaming and fire and stuff...you're not sure you want to go in there just yet.

Clo-Caltel Shor Quielio
X5 Sand levitation!

[will:3,5,6,5,6 -1 all]
Hey, thats 4 successes this time.

You're getting close to being at +0 rather then -1

((Piecewise, sorry to dissapoint, but I noticed ;) don't worry though, I've got a better idea, a better plan...!))

"AAARrrrrghh DAMNIT!"

"Hmm, the crippling pain has given me a fantastic *ughn* idea...!!"

WORDS OF SUPREME POWER!
And a thought experiment...
[pot:6]
You gain a tattoo, however, your body remains the same. Hmm.

((Sorry about missing a turn needed to activate the rune.))
"For ‼SCIENCE‼"
Activate rune.
With the final thought of activation the circle glows with monstrous power and one of the runes, the e3 rune, lifts off the ground and hovers directly above the center of the circle-and by extension, derm's head. It slowly morphs into the E2 rune.

Wonder if I have a +3 to spd now, because statuses weren't posted.

Then check if my plant control ring can affect the wall of thorns.  If it can, will a path to appear to the boar (multiple times, if need be).  Then charge the boar and spit at it while taunting, dancing around, and willing it's head to fall into pieces.
Well the path was cleared when angle got punted through it, so thats done.

You charge in to the area with the boar and dance around, trying to grab it's attention. However, it seems more focused on onyx, who just threw fire at it.

[will:1]

The ring itself shatters to pieces.

"I can sense power flowing... So one of those runes keeps it from activating right away, huh? Well, might as well try see what some more of these things do while I wait."

Step out (barely) and start other science while waiting for MEGARUNE to activate, keep willing it to activate just in case.
(you don't need to fill every slot for a circle to function.)
[pot:5]
You fire a spray of ink Sven, mildly annoying him.
and create a rune that makes stone.

"FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"

See if I can find a stick next to me to use with the staff as crutches. If I find a stick, hobble towards the boar, and smash it again. If not, drag myself towards the boar, and smash it.
[dex:6]
You do a flipping pole vault off the ground like some sort of mushy legged gymnast.
[dex:4]
[str:5+1]
[master end:1+2]
And bring down a massive blow straight on the creature's back. With a burst of pulverized rock it falls, split clean in half.

[you gain 3 points]
Your Devotion level increases and nets you the skill "Bloodsport"
Your legs heal, bones and muscle reforming with a horrible cracking and hiss of steam.

Ponder the glory of my continued existence and narrow escapes. Accept the control ring, and will my concussion to go away. Will my thallids to regrow, then will them to grow a number of ring shaped protrusions that can be easily pried off without breaking. If any of the above fail and I still have actions, retry.

Strike the water shield to the ground, see how solid "solid" is. ((Always was curious about that.))
Create control ring. Follow Angle. Give control ring to Angle. Stay away from the fighting (ie far enough for me to recharge)

((Every bomb needs a timer.))
[pot 2+1]
You get a ring but...it doesn't seem to have any power to it.

"Crap."

[angle will:3+3]
Angle grows some ringed fungi men while Paris beats his water shield on the ground to see how solid it is. It seems pretty solid.

"Phew, I'm exhausted. Time to do some exploration instead."

Kin walks further away from the village. The opposite way to some place he hasn't been to yet.
The opposite way to somewhere he hasn't been yet...That is a hell of a sentence.

So the thats a double negative...so time to retrace your steps!

You walk back to the village center, feeling as though your brain may have made a mistake some where.

Sneak around, looking for a hostile NPC. "Right then, let's see if this helps."
You find a torch wielder wandering around in the village center. Yay! MURDER!

More experiments!

[pot:5+1]
That one doesn't seem to work.

[pot:5+1]
Phantom image of a spike.

I'll be willing to provide equipment that either currently have (excluding my gauntlets) or I can make anything that requires four or less on demand as long as its creation potentially harmful to myself or any other player.
((If that's not a typo, one nuke to go please.))

Stop squabbling with GWG.
"...Do you know what uristrat or garstopit even mean?"

Start to show him my Aether badge before realizing that no such thing exists.

"Aye."
Head out.
Go to wherever Empiricist's character is, explain what I would like to him, say words.

((Also, I have been informed that I placed two points in Agility, which does not exist. Could one of those points please be put into Dexterity and the other into Will?))

You wander up to the temple's upper section and talk to Empi.

SCIENCE TIME.

Walk outside the spawn, then draw this:

Draw A26, then draw an A1 in the biggest circle. C1 and B16 in the small circles of A26. Then, wait.

[pot:1]
Well, this is where the thing would normally explode in your face but considering that circle doesn't do anything I guess you're fine.

Well, that was nice. Also, might find things to kill!
Look at the clockwork breastplate. See if it does anything. Put it on afterwards. Look for something to kill not a player. If successful, walk up to it and put my hand on it. Say  Dorbaelo Caltalleth, then Cainthalsaz if that does not work. If nothing to kill not a player in the area, say Adamenstiar Clo-caltel Gonteli.
It's a complicated mess of gears but it's hard to say if it actually does anything besides look neat.

In terms of things to kill, which way do you want to go? Back up toward town, out toward the camp where LUV is, or down toward the forest?

Word of Power: Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A. HAX: Cainthalsaz
Input invalid: Words missing.

((Tell me I'm not right behind the
I WANT MY OMNIPOTENCE SLASH HORRIFIC DEATH!
rune people. I am, aren't I?))

Woah, what the hell is that!? Who the hell are you people?

Back off to the temple doorway. The creepy temple is probably a heck of a lot safer than whatever they're doing.

You slowly back pedal back into the temple. "Yeah...good luck with that."

"MY GOLD!!! Door, you're about to enter a whole new world of emotional pain! That's right. Let's see how well you hold up when your buddy Mr. Wall over there tastes my golden wrath!"

Mourn lost golden butterfly. Form remaining gold into a massive battering ram and send it through the wall, being very careful not to hit the door with it.

You're gonna attempt to battering ram your way through god knows how many feet of solid stone with a big lump of soft metal?

Just checking.

Runic science!
[pot:1,4,5,+1 all]
Nothing, horse, canine

"Hmm this door seems to be somewhat electric.  Perhaps it may be opened by a magnet or another source of electricity?"

Ozzy casts "Ku-karua" and tries rubbing the resulting material against the door.  He searches for anything that might be a keyhole or a sigil or any other unusual marking that might signify where someone might open the door.  If he finds one then he'll press the magnet against it in random patterns.

If that fails to do anything he will try the same thing with what he gets from casting "Rothon".

[pot:3]
You summon up a small magnet and rub it against the door. It sticks to the metal, but thats about it. The door doesn't seem to have any handles or keyholes or anything. If you had to guess, it's probably barred from the other side.

Shocking the door doesn't seem to have any effect.

-snip-

Crystal is inferior to diamond, also conductive. Did some experiments with that.
Nice to know, thanks! Although crystal being conductive confuses me. But it does give me an idea for an ultra-sharp electrified railgun type thingy. Even if I had the words/pot/want to make such a thing though, I'd never use it. Also, I don't really know crystal's puncturing power, for all I'd know it would shatter on anything stronger than steel, which isn't something useful.

Crystal is actually superior in terms of sharpness and cutting ability. But it's relatively fragile.

As seperate words (that is, say them, wait for effect then say the next one), say:

Rothon       
Caltalleth     
Shareeb

Also make sure I'm not in the Hall of Heroes, so I can actually cast them.

[pot:6,4,5,]
Electricity, wind,steel

((Turn length depends on actions taken, and they are always as long as they need to be. A turn of walking, searching, flying can be any length of time - 10, 20, 30 minutes, maybe an hour. A turn of saying words and doing nothing else is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 seconds. A turn of combat is very much the same, perhaps longer.))
Mostly, if it's in combat it's fairly short. If it's out of combat it's pretty random.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 08, 2013, 03:29:36 pm »

McGuffin, its a device integral to the plot that can be used as both a unit of time, measurement of power, and a wide variety of other uses. Often associated with plot powers and so such.
I'm only familiar with it being used as:
McGuffin, its a device integral to the plot
Or, more specifically, something that someone is trying to get for some reason.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4871 on: May 08, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 08, 2013, 03:33:12 pm »

Tap foot impatiently. Experiment with words.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: May 08, 2013, 03:42:35 pm »

Rothcaltal Uristrat. Beer should be a relatively safe thing to experiment with, as if the word means 'fly backwards at high speed', I'd prefer a delicious liquid to some obsidian or something.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: May 08, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »

Ah. Pedestrian creations, then.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 435