Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 952560 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #5040 on: May 12, 2013, 02:08:56 pm »

At this point in time, there's two main factions among the players, Team Aether and Team Bismuth, along with a handful of minor groups which have no more than a few people each. If you don't know many words, I believe both teams offer their entire word list to members, but you'd have to ask them about that.
They offer their whole word list. Aether's builds on that of the first alliance, which means they have about 95-99% of the words.
Also, despite what you've heard, I believe Bismuth only has about four, maybe five members total. Sorry, Paris.
Now THAT's a lie big enough to walk on its own, like they say where I come from. 99% of the words? Don't make me laugh.
We've been at it a while. Like, since way back when there were characters of the first generation in the Arena.
And 99% was an upper estimate. We certainly know enough to duplicate essentially any magical effect you say.
Even 95% is a ridiculous number. That means that you somehow got to know the exact meaning of all but 9/191 words. And THAT is a lie, since there are definitely words that haven't even been used by anyone yet. I have your own admission that you don't know many page 3 words.  If you said 85%-90% then MAYBE I'd believe you. But as it stands, everybody knows that at least 25% of page 4 and 5 is unknown. So, stop lying, you're just making a fool of yourself.

Replication is not the same as knowledge. Do you, for example, know the word for link? The word used to alter the effects of your spell with your mind? The word for pool? The word for suck ethereal walls out of people? I may not know these words, but I've seen piecewise hint to their existence. And since nobody has used them yet, you definitely don't know them unless piecewise started giving away words or something.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: May 12, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

Team Bismuth, in contrary, is experimenting away with page 3 words. Mainly because everyone else didn't care about them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: May 12, 2013, 02:16:11 pm »

Spoiler: Have you seen me? (click to show/hide)
YES. Although he's about the size of an Abrams tank now. And fast. ...Dammit, I really need to get back in Scarlon's favor, else then I can't recapture Sparky! The horror!

SingularByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36:43 pm »

At this point in time, there's two main factions among the players, Team Aether and Team Bismuth, along with a handful of minor groups which have no more than a few people each. If you don't know many words, I believe both teams offer their entire word list to members, but you'd have to ask them about that.
They offer their whole word list. Aether's builds on that of the first alliance, which means they have about 95-99% of the words.
Also, despite what you've heard, I believe Bismuth only has about four, maybe five members total. Sorry, Paris.
Now THAT's a lie big enough to walk on its own, like they say where I come from. 99% of the words? Don't make me laugh.
We've been at it a while. Like, since way back when there were characters of the first generation in the Arena.
And 99% was an upper estimate. We certainly know enough to duplicate essentially any magical effect you say.
But as it stands, everybody knows that at least 25% of page 4 and 5 is unknown.

Hmm. Interesting. The sky pirates have all page 5 words so that would mean we have exclusive knowledge. Admittedly, I don't really understand the difference between two of them, but I've at least seen them in action.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5044 on: May 12, 2013, 03:41:55 pm »

Whoops, typo, meant 3 and 4.

EDIT: And I've also made a spelling mistake in the missing poster.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: May 12, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »

MAKE A GIANT MONITOR LIZARD MADE OUT OF POISON GAS AND ALCOHOL THAT IS FIRED AS A BULLET OF A GATLING GUN OF GIANT MONITOR LIZARDS MADE OUT OF POISON GAS AND ALCOHOL.

IF POSSIBLE, MAKE A GATLING GUN THAT FIRES THE ABOVE GATLING GUNS.
1. Duplicate.
2. That would cost a crapton of mana.
3. Hm...do we know any words for "monitor lizard" ir would we have to just make a big lizard?

Even 95% is a ridiculous number. That means that you somehow got to know the exact meaning of all but 9/191 words. And THAT is a lie, since there are definitely words that haven't even been used by anyone yet. I have your own admission that you don't know many page 3 words.  If you said 85%-90% then MAYBE I'd believe you. But as it stands, everybody knows that at least 25% of page 4 and 5 is unknown. So, stop lying, you're just making a fool of yourself.
I'll admit to not having made an exact count of the words we know, or for that matter of the total number of words.
Last I checked, there were a lot of them.

Replication is not the same as knowledge. Do you, for example, know the word for link? The word used to alter the effects of your spell with your mind? The word for pool? The word for suck ethereal walls out of people? I may not know these words, but I've seen piecewise hint to their existence. And since nobody has used them yet, you definitely don't know them unless piecewise started giving away words or something.
"Duplicate" means others have done it. No one has done those. Besides, some of those might simply be combinations of words rather than single words.
However, that does remind me...I'm checking the word list for things to test.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: May 12, 2013, 04:58:54 pm »

...we still haven't found the word for pool yet, have we?
I was almost certain it was a page 1 word, a material, but... since both Aether and Bismuth claim to know all page 1 words, it's either not a page 1 word, or we missed an obvious combination/use here. I'm inclined to believe now that it's a page 4 word; Sentience/mind is a page 4 word, as is control, levitate, and super speed.
Why not pool? Or even souls, though I'm sure that's really 4 words...
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: May 12, 2013, 05:30:01 pm »

((Okay, I've read that. Here's a couple questions:

How did the switch from arena to the temple happen?
With people running off, are you still advancing the objective to destroy the other?
I'm assuming the factions are not entirely composed of players, right? So how many NPC's to player characters is there in the game? Because it can be different if there are thousands of NPC's and 5 players, or just several dozen of them.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: May 12, 2013, 05:40:30 pm »

First answer: The switch took place with Null rolling a [1-1], and falling on his own sword; This triggered something which sucked the 8 current players through a wormhole, only it was intercepted and brought to this world.
Second answer: That is when our objective to destroy the Other started, and it is still ongoing. There are 8 bosses we must kill (not each of us, us as a group), and not one of them has died yet; However, one optional boss has.
Third answer: The only two NPCs who have not tried to kill any player on sight are the talking mummy in the Temple, and the barkeeper in the... bar. The two alliances ARE composed entirely of Player Characters.
The Cyan Menace

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5049 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:36 pm »

((Okay, I've read that. Here's a couple questions:

How did the switch from arena to the temple happen?
With people running off, are you still advancing the objective to destroy the other?
I'm assuming the factions are not entirely composed of players, right? So how many NPC's to player characters is there in the game? Because it can be different if there are thousands of NPC's and 5 players, or just several dozen of them.))
1. Null, quite unceremoniously tripped on his expired usefulness and fell on his sword. He was a means of keeping people occupied while Piecewise was preparing I think, although Thrakor could have defeated him with the right combo of rolls and words.
2. Yep, some people are pretty close to some sealers I think (the bosses we need to defeat before we can face the Other). Especially kisame currently going through Nul-sheal's labyrinth.
3.What flabort said. I'm the man responsible for Team Bismuth's recruiting while derm is the one responsible for Team Aether. Both teams are mostly about science and exploration, sharing words and helping each other. We will also take on some of the bosses when we feel ready.

There were also some other NPCs. The guy who teleported near the bridge, the scavenger and the woman in the forest, but they didn't stick around for long.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:51:30 pm by Parisbre56 »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: May 12, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »

Oh, right. The So-called "Heroes" that PW said we'd meet. They're like PCs with a different set of meta knowledge, though. And yeah, we haven't seen much of them.
The Cyan Menace

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #5051 on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:46 pm »

Probably because piecewise said this world has at least 500 unique areas and we have explored about... a bit more then 50 of them. And most people's reaction to those NPCs was "Stop bothering me! Don't you see I'm trying to find something to kill/ find some loot/ find a safe hiding place to do science?"

EDIT: Here, have some more backstory talk: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=119572.msg4236423#msg4236423
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:07:33 pm by Parisbre56 »

SingularByte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: May 13, 2013, 01:36:43 am »

...we still haven't found the word for pool yet, have we?
I was almost certain it was a page 1 word, a material, but... since both Aether and Bismuth claim to know all page 1 words, it's either not a page 1 word, or we missed an obvious combination/use here. I'm inclined to believe now that it's a page 4 word; Sentience/mind is a page 4 word, as is control, levitate, and super speed.
Why not pool? Or even souls, though I'm sure that's really 4 words...

That reminds me, I haven't tested the Dark Hand yet. For all I know, I could have the word for souls although that depends on Piecewise's interpretation of how to convert the effects.

Edit: Just double checked, it's life drain. Not quite as broken as souls but it's still a nice effect.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 08:55:15 am by SingularByte »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: May 13, 2013, 03:21:24 am »

((I suppose the best term to sum up the interactions between Bismuth and Aether is "Tsundere", considering Bismuth recently warned Aether of a dangerous rune and provided it with the fire rune; Aether has recently tested out a massive dangerous rune in full public view which Bismuth can now fully replicate and modify. I have no doubt that, should it come to that, either of the teams would help their counterpart if lives are on the line. Even if it's just so that they can gloat.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: May 13, 2013, 02:40:47 pm »

When Glassco was about to do the shapshifting of the diamond, he paused. A pained look was on his face. "I... I can't do this. I've made a terrible mistake. I have to go fix it. Sorry John." He sunk his head low as he walked back towards the shrine of Scarlon. Once there, he looks at the statue. "...Hey Scarlon. I suppose you probably know why I'm here, it shouldn't be any surprise to you with all you know, but... Well... I fucked up. I'll freely admit it. I made a terrible mistake, and you have every right to be pissed at me. I was the first of the ones here to turn to you, but now I was also the first to turn away, and that was a terrible mistake. All the other gods, well, I don't care about them. They aren't for me, none of them. I could be branded a traitor by every single one of them if it would just let me back in your good graces, and it would be worth it twenty times over. I guess all I'm saying is... Well...

I've been spending all my time, all my moments going out in this world.
Doing anything, just to see if it can be dooneeee!
But when things go wrong, I'm right back where I started aaagaaain.
Trying to forget you is just a waste of tiiiimmmeeee!

Scarlon let me back! Any kind of mage can see, there was something in everything about you!
Scarlon let me back! You can blame it all on me, I was wrong, and I just can't live without you!

All day long, no longer wearing a mask of mind control.
Trying to keep up a smile and hide the mark of shame.
But as time goes on, I get that empty feeling in my heeaaad!
How I wish to you, that you were heeeeerreeee!

Scarlon let me back! Oh Scarlon! Any kind of mage can see, there was something in everything about you!
Scarlon let me back! You can blame it all on me, I was wrong, and I just can't live without you!

Now that I put it all together, give me the chance to make you seeee!
That you used up all the forgiveness in your heart, is there nothing left for mee?
Is there nothing left for meeeeee?!

Scarlon let me back! Any kind of mage can see, there was something in everything about you!
Scarlon let me back! All-Knowing Scarlon! You can blame it all on me, I was wrong, and I just can't live without you!

I was wrong, and I just can't live without you!"

Glassco cuts his palm over the basin.

[I. Regret. Nothing.]
Pages: 1 ... 335 336 [337] 338 339 ... 435