Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 435

Author Topic: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension  (Read 950720 times)

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
Re: Perplexicon: Magic is Confusing:Derm has entered the Booze Dimension
« Reply #6060 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »

Man, if everyone followed that a lot of human history would have been significantly more boring.
Most people did follow that, though...
I believe the emphasis here would be placed on 'most.'

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:28 pm »

Man, if everyone followed that a lot of human history would have been significantly more boring.
Most people did follow that, though...
I believe the emphasis here would be placed on 'most.'
Touche.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6062 on: June 25, 2013, 03:18:41 am »

I would like the full word/rune list if you DO discontinue it.

I'm not saying I want you to, mind.
Of course. I'd basically just make the "Perplexicon" folder I have public on Dropbox.

I'll jump in with my own unique suggestion that takes elements from the others.

A few players volunteer to be helpers, and they collect all the actions and put them in a google doc or something.  They add the statuses themselves, to prevent cheating, and entirely handle the simple/mundane turns where people just summon a sword or walk into an area with complex spawn mechanics or something.

They leave all the stuff that is important, vauge, or needing spice to Piecewise.

That would cut down the workload immensely, spreading it betweem many different people, and everyone else would be able to continue on with their game.  The only issue would be the helpers not playing anymore, except maybe as the heroes or something.

If this idea gets accepted, despite how much I love playing Perplexicon, I volunteer to be a helper.  I've been hoping to run a copy of this game on another forum anyways, and this would accelerate that plan greatly.

If you do go with lowering the player count, please give the rules out to someone, so they can run a copy (with jumbled words) in a different thread, with mutually exclusive players.  That way people would still be able to play, even though they can't play with so many people.
As much as I'd love to get several people all working on this (and as much as I want to get a small team together and kickstart a rpg system or 2.  And be paid for GMing, etc) I doubt it will really work. Mostly because as soon as some part of the group starts to lag or disappears we're gonna grind to a halt.

((Here is my prototype of a player-managed status list. It currently only lists people in the "Temple Grounds" area who have been recently active.
Locations are bolded and underlined, player and NPC sections are separate for each location, each are under an italic heading.
Character names are listed with player names displayed via mouseover, actions linked to their message, interactions as dotpoints underneath actions.))
Spoiler: Prototype (click to show/hide)

Looks pretty sweet man. Something like that would be very helpful, I think.

Hmm, I've actually wanted to get a list of what all the words mean, just without their corresponding word (a list of all materials, shapes, targeting things, special effects and tattoo locations) as I've wanted to start a Perplexicon derivative here at uni with some friends in the style of the old arena days.

I actually thought about coding some sort of Perplexicon-helper system for me and my friends, but I'm not sure just how best to go about it, just a method of tracking all of the players, their inventories, a way to "easily"(subjective) import a turn, wordlist/runelist auto translate (for the GM obviously) and auto/easy rolling system. Even better an output PW can easily just add the creative flair and kickassery we have come to treasure.

Truth be told, it may also be a bit out of range of my abilities. I tend to aim a little out of my reach.
@PW: If you don't mind it being written in Python, I should be able to at least make a fast-translator.

Hmm, I may have found a fun project.
I wouldn't mind such a thing. I'm sure you could do an automatic translator, though only one that translates the words, not one that actually says what could be made. 

I would help but given my track record with games nowhere near this size I'll be more help as a player.

What if we cut out random encounters entirely and set all NPCs to a single location? This plus the in-post location and status.
Random encounters and npc's aren't really a problem. Mostly because I remember most of them by heart.

Man, things took an odd turn through the rest of these posts eh? Alright, so here's the options as I see it.

1. Through a combination of programs, user tracked data and general help, keep things going as is.

2.Throw on a player cap and then run the world with a smaller number of people. Either lower creature spawn rate to force more PVP or increase mob danger to increase turn over.

3. And here's the one thats a bit odd. See, perplexicon started as a test of a system that would be placed into a different kind of game; a more ER'y style roleplaying game that would revolve around what amounts to magical gang warfare centering around territory control, resource management and research. If you guys wanted to, we could end perplexicon and move on to the game I originally had in mind. It would take a while to set up, but it might prove interesting. Though be warned, magic would work a bit...differently. If you're curious, here's the original "World intro" mini story thing I wrote up for it one night at 3am while on vacation in canada.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:31 am »

((I'd personally prefer 1 or 3 since 2 probably can't balance plot advancement with turn over since people will just quickly die with what knowledge they accumulated.))

Spoiler: Full Prototype (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:27:05 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6064 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:56 am »

((I like all options. I'd feel a bit sad seeing Perplexicon end, mostly because I've put a lot of effort in making some game related stuff. But I'd also enjoy the new RTD (which seems very good by the way).
So, all options seem OK to me. Do what you would like the most.

Oh, and if we can choose gangs and recruit in the new RTD (if it happens),
JOIN TEAM <this space is intentionally left blank>!))

Sarzael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Starbound
« Reply #6065 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:39 am »

In my opinion first is the best. Also, we will help for sure in what we can.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction."

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: June 25, 2013, 06:58:13 am »

1 and 3 seem really awesome
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: June 25, 2013, 07:02:45 am »

Id rather have a few turns of option 1 and then revisit options 2 and 3 if the revised turn formats dont help.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: June 25, 2013, 07:04:40 am »

Option 1, then, 3 if it doesn't work out that well.

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: June 25, 2013, 08:06:52 am »

I think no matter what choice we make, we should do option 1 regardless if it makes the legwork less intensive for you Piecewise.

I won't lie though, three has me very intrigued. And humored, as we kind of do that now although the two 'gangs' are at peace with each other for now.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: June 25, 2013, 08:48:38 am »

I'd suggest trying them in order: Try 1, and if that doesn't work go to 2; should that lead to an unsatisfying game, admit that Perplexicon was too popular for its own good and start the new game. Which sounds pretty cool.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: June 25, 2013, 09:25:21 am »

I'd say we bring about a rushed end through option 1? Possibly drop the objective right in front of us, make death permanent, then switch to 3?

I vote 1 then 3, but if it's still a lot of work or you feel like it's going to drag on, accelerate things.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:15 am »

3 sounds pretty awesome to me and 1 is alright as well, if we could all figure out what exactly we have to post for each action. I'd go with 2 as well if it's just too much work for you though.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: June 25, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

I would probably prefer 1, but 3 might be interesting.  Frankly it depends more on how the gameplay of three works- you gave us the setting, but what will we be doing? 

Pre-planned ER-type missions with five-ten-twenty players? 

Players split into the gangs fighting over areas, possibly with a strategy element? 

Just a free-roam type thing like we have now, just with a different setting? 

Ect.  All of those are very different, despite being in the same setting and with the same mechanics.

And how will sciencing work in 3?  Will the gangs all know the words already, or will you still have to figure them out?  Could you share with npc gang members, making your gang stronger thanks to learning the antimagic word or something?

Would 3 change Zentol back into "Lovecraftian dimension rip"?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: June 25, 2013, 12:16:58 pm »

I'll most likely play anything you host, so go with what you like best.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 435