Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 80170 times)

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (Now with links)
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 06:26:05 pm »

Just want to say thanks for your language generator.

Not actually using it for Dwarf Fortress, but used it to fill in the (considerable) gaps I had for a language in my own D&D setting (Trystain, the spirit-tongue). Gave the generator all the words I already had, then seeded those words back in to their actual meanings, changed a few associations (i.e. the word for couple is similar to pair, the word for rain similar to water etc.), stripped all the DF formatting using Word, re-sorted everything alphabetically with a quick jump to Excel, then back to Word and now I have an extensive Trystain dictionary to awe and annoy my players with, so thanks alot!

I posted the word doc on my blog HERE for my Aurican/Eladrin players, but if you want to see the menace you've helped create (or you want to use it as an example for people what to do with this) feel free to click it too. :D
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »

When you run the program again, do the new creatures you generate replace the old ones you generated, or do both the generations add up?

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »

When you run the program again, do the new creatures you generate replace the old ones you generated, or do both the generations add up?

I can say, definitively, that the creature generator will indeed replace the files each time you run the program. Thus if you don't like the current selection just run it again until you get something you like.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2012, 06:54:41 pm »

Ah, thanks. Another question: I deleted all vanilla entity and creature files and left only the random ones. It's not generating anything properly and there are no playable civs. Just legends mode. I set [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [ADVENTURE_TIER:X] to all of them

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »

Restore your raws from a backup.

Fool.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 10:19:28 pm »

Expanding on that a bit without the petty insults...

If you just need to get the vanilla raws back, don't forget that you can always open up the latest zip download of the vanilla game where, of course, everything vanilla came from in the first place. ;^)

@OP (my apologies that I can't hope to spell your name...): If I understand correct where a word falls into multiple symbol groups the root from one of those symbols is chosen at random, and where it corresponds to a longer English word more pieces are strung together to make the word longer. I'm wondering, when it has to create a longer word for a word of multiple symbol groups, will it start putting together more roots from other symbols the word belongs to if possible? If it doesn't, could that functionality be added in, to create a tendency for words that obviously smash together two symbols (e.g. if you have "onu-" for flowery, "-dleb-" for stony, and a word that is in both the flowery and stony symbol groups and requires a length of at least three pieces, will it prefer to start with "onudleb-" rather that just using one or the other)? I think this may go partway toward increasing the extent to which related words look related, while still leaving room for randomness (because sometimes you nonetheless have more symbol groups than pieces to put together, or you have two words that share the same couple of groups and one of them will have to miss out, etc.).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:17 pm »

But you do not understand.
I don't want any vanilla stuff.
Just the randomly generated shit.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 10:35:51 pm »

Is everything in the right folder? You may need to move data into the other folders as the game relies on them, and having them empty is probably making things cry.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 07:36:57 am »

Sorry about the delay in response; I've been offline for a while.

So, does this mean that the words starting with "A" would have short translations, and ones starting with "Z" would mainly be long? That would be a bit weird looking :D.  I like the language generator, I'll probably play around with it when I have the time. The creature generator looks good too, really interesting, but I probably won't be using it, at least not now. Still, you did an amazing job with this.  :D
Only if you provided so few words that it didn't have enough to generate the language from. This is actually really difficult to do - you have to intentionally provide only five words or so. It's not usually an issue. Still, I have an updated version that I'll be uploading in the near future to ward against the issue, just in case. Nothing's foolproof, right? And thank you for the compliment.

-snip-
Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad you found it useful outside of DF. I'm sorry you had to jump through so many hoops to get it to work, though. If you shoot me a PM next time, I'll try to see if I can custom-rig a program for you to make your job go a little more smoothly.

Black_Legion is right. It replaces the old creatures that it genned, so they don't pile up. You can keep genning until you get something you like - although, if you're genning 1,000 creatures, you may have some difficulty deciding whether or not you like the whole batch. lol

Ah, thanks. Another question: I deleted all vanilla entity and creature files and left only the random ones. It's not generating anything properly and there are no playable civs. Just legends mode. I set [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] and [ADVENTURE_TIER:X] to all of them
Neither program changes ANY of the default raws. Redownload DF and copy-paste a clean set of raws if you need to... and for future reference, deleting the entity file is generally a bad idea.
But you do not understand.
I don't want any vanilla stuff.
Just the randomly generated shit.
DFRandCreatures does NOT create enough creature types to ensure everything is replaced. It does not, for example, create domesticated creatures. It doesn't create birds, and it doesn't create vermin. It doesn't generate fish or any other aquatic animals. It doesn't generate megabeasts, and it does NOT replace the dwarf/elf/human/goblin raws. I'm sorry if that's what you wanted it to do, but to make that work successfully, I'd basically have to have the data in a separate file, just to copy-paste it again, and you'd end up with the same thing you had before. Thus, you might as well not have deleted anything in the first place. DFRandCreatures is meant to add to the experience, not replace it.

If you really, really want to get rid of a lot of default creatures (which I strongly advise against), I would delete:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Deleting just those files should keep the game from getting "screwed up". And again, I strongly advise against it.

EDIT: Missed this bit.
@OP (my apologies that I can't hope to spell your name...): If I understand correct where a word falls into multiple symbol groups the root from one of those symbols is chosen at random, and where it corresponds to a longer English word more pieces are strung together to make the word longer. I'm wondering, when it has to create a longer word for a word of multiple symbol groups, will it start putting together more roots from other symbols the word belongs to if possible? If it doesn't, could that functionality be added in, to create a tendency for words that obviously smash together two symbols (e.g. if you have "onu-" for flowery, "-dleb-" for stony, and a word that is in both the flowery and stony symbol groups and requires a length of at least three pieces, will it prefer to start with "onudleb-" rather that just using one or the other)? I think this may go partway toward increasing the extent to which related words look related, while still leaving room for randomness (because sometimes you nonetheless have more symbol groups than pieces to put together, or you have two words that share the same couple of groups and one of them will have to miss out, etc.).
I could have it put in two symbols for longer words, yes. Symbols have three parts (i.e. oa kl ai-   or   -sh a nt), but it can choose to shorten it to make it fit better with the word (i.e. oakl- or -ant, to reuse the examples from within the last set of parentheses). This way, you could wind up with oaklainar or oaklotis, and it still has the same word root. You could conceivably fit them together, like: oaklaramant. I simply never did.
    The suffixes and prefixes don't actually affect the size of the words, though. DFLangCreate automatically rejects words that are longer than it wants, so you end up with the same sized word no matter what.
    And btw, just call me Talv.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:08:38 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »

-snip-
Thanks for letting me know! I'm glad you found it useful outside of DF. I'm sorry you had to jump through so many hoops to get it to work, though. If you shoot me a PM next time, I'll try to see if I can custom-rig a program for you to make your job go a little more smoothly.
Oh don't worry about it, you SAVED ME a massive amount of work. The sorting, cropping and such took me like 15 minutes, it was only the re-seeding of words that took a bit of time, and even then only an hour or so. Besides, its always fun actually using my Word/Excel skills garnered from work on something more personal and creative.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »

Thank you very much for these two programs.  I don't know if I will ever use them in DF, but I will enjoy playing with them.  Decades ago I bought a shareware program that generated solar systems, and spent happy hours generating solar systems that I never used in any games.  Strange pleasures for strange minds, I guess.   ;D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 04:21:09 pm »

I like your creature generator. I think it's especially cool how you can specify how many creatures you want before using it. I used to play with girlinhats generator and I always had to delete most of the creatures I made manually to prevent my world getting absolutely flooded with random monsters. I also really like how you actually went and made an entity generator as well! But why no megabeasts?

But I also noticed a few bugs the first few time I used your program.
The first time I plaid I found a creature that had two heads. The problem is, the body part/wound list in the creature description listed both of them just as "head", as opposed to "right head, left head" or "first head, second head" like with regular two-headed monsters. Also one of the heads was listed at the top of the body part list, after the upper and lower body while the other one was near the botton, by the legs and feet. That was pretty confusing.
I also had several entities that had weapons and shields their entity members couldn't use, because they had no arms or any other bodypart with grasp. One of them also built and lived in houses even though they couldn't open doors.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2012, 04:45:07 pm »

Thank you very much for these two programs.  I don't know if I will ever use them in DF, but I will enjoy playing with them.  Decades ago I bought a shareware program that generated solar systems, and spent happy hours generating solar systems that I never used in any games.  Strange pleasures for strange minds, I guess.   ;D
I do the exact same thing... lol   If your mind is strange, then mine is, too.

I like your creature generator. I think it's especially cool how you can specify how many creatures you want before using it. I used to play with girlinhats generator and I always had to delete most of the creatures I made manually to prevent my world getting absolutely flooded with random monsters. I also really like how you actually went and made an entity generator as well! But why no megabeasts?

But I also noticed a few bugs the first few time I used your program.
The first time I plaid I found a creature that had two heads. The problem is, the body part/wound list in the creature description listed both of them just as "head", as opposed to "right head, left head" or "first head, second head" like with regular two-headed monsters. Also one of the heads was listed at the top of the body part list, after the upper and lower body while the other one was near the botton, by the legs and feet. That was pretty confusing.
I also had several entities that had weapons and shields their entity members couldn't use, because they had no arms or any other bodypart with grasp. One of them also built and lived in houses even though they couldn't open doors.
Thanks for the bug report! If you could include the creature in question (spoilered), that would be helpful, too.

It doesn't create megabeasts because I couldn't get them to work properly. Megabeasts are pretty different from standard creatures (on the raw level), and there are a lot of things I had to take into account. Finally I just gave up on it and added entities instead. As to the entity bugs you mentioned, you're very right, those were things I didn't take into account. I said "random" and I really meant it. I'll fix them up and re-release at some point. I'd really like to have the code for that creature, though.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 04:56:40 pm »

One of them also built and lived in houses even though they couldn't open doors.

I call that a feature.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »

Here is the creature in question:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17