Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you like me to do after this next round of bugfixing on RandCreatures?

Extract even MORE data - I want to customize what I get.
- 50 (24.3%)
Megabeasts and semimegabeasts need more work.
- 15 (7.3%)
Why no vermin? I want to annoy the heck out of myself.
- 10 (4.9%)
Nothing swims underwater?! How could you? I want aquatic life.
- 60 (29.1%)
Let's have (rare) random creatures that breathe fire and/or poison you to death.
- 34 (16.5%)
Forget RandCreatures; work on LangCreate.
- 17 (8.3%)
Zombie's Toothbrush.
- 6 (2.9%)
Make birds more birdlike.
- 12 (5.8%)
I want something else, but I'll suggest it in-thread.
- 2 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 205

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: LangCreate (v34 and v40) and RandCreatures (v34, being rewritten)  (Read 80175 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

I'm currently working on updating RandCreatures for version 40.xx. After that, I'll get back on LangCreate. Before, I didn't really add much polish, as they were originally only intended for my own use. This time around it'll be primarily for you guys. I'm exporting everything I can to external, DF raws-based scripts, of which you can see an updated WIP example here (click for link).

LangCreate should still work for version 40.xx without problems, but with all the creature changes, I need to update RandCreatures before it'll work at all.

I'm posting a full update on the progress, as it's been about month since I started rewriting RandCreatures. All told, as of the 13th of September, it's very roughly a third of the way done. Here's a fancy development list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's the 34.xx post:
I've written two programs.
LangCreate - Download Here
The first generates a DF language in great detail, with prefixes and suffixes to words, imitating word roots (in other words, "xia-" might be added to the front of any word with the "domestic" symbol). It lets you put in word examples (minimum of 10 or so), and then takes those and creates a language from them. For example, putting "murasaki,saru,shokkiarai,zonbi,haburashi,kokonatsu,yoso,randamu,baka,kobito,yosai" would be enough to create a language with a Japanese theme. There are some major limitations, though.
1. My laptop died back in May, so I had to rebuild the language generator on a prehistoric computer in a prehistoric programming language/compiler. It may or may not work on linux and macs. I don't know. I'd rather use C++ or Java, but I can't get any IDEs to run on the computer I've been using.
2. You have to use standard English letters. No using this: å or anything remotely like it, or it'll spit out some really weird words. (Besides, DF doesn't even read those characters.)
(actually, that's all the limitations.)

RandCreatures - Download Here
The second, and my favorite, randomly generates anywhere from 10 to 1000 absolutely random, fully-functional DF creatures. Each creature has unique descriptions, prefstrings, and names. It all makes sense, too. The more creatures you gen, the more likely the program will find some of them to be worthy of civ status, and it'll then actually custom-design a random civ for the creature, which will actually survive worldgen. You may even see winged, trunked, bipedal creatures building castles at some point, but I'd count on something a little more bizarre.
There are, of course, some minor limitations.
1. It's written in the same language as #1, and has the same issues.
2. There aren't any creatures that cause syndromes. Yeah, sorry. No uberpoisonous snakes. Yet.
3. If you add 1000 creatures and go into adventure mode, you'll likely see creatures EVERYWHERE. Dwarf Fortress doesn't scale down the amount of wildlife relative to the species count. Instead, it keeps adding. The more unique species you add, the more wildlife you see. Fixed. In a manner of speaking.
On the plus side, the game is still playable, no matter what it gens. You won't get one-shotted by anything. (unless you come across a semimegabeast or megabeast, in which case may Armok rest your soul.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:31:19 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »

I would loooooooove to actually see these. :D :D :D

TO THE DF FILE DEPOT!
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 02:05:06 pm »

Sounds confusing. Is it possible to play this WITH Dwarves as the playable civ?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »

Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. Dwarves are the only playable civ by default. It just adds extra civs alongside goblins, humans and elves. If it adds them at all. It mainly just adds creatures.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 05:58:44 pm »

You could also, assuming you don't have any particular desire to keep creative control of the particular design in your own hands alone, upload pseudocode for the program (basically, a detailed design) to the DFFD and let anybody else who wants a crack at it implement it in a modern language/interface/whatever and/or add design to allow more control over program number two or to allow use of any special characters that DF can display in program number one (this would involve finding out what the character encoding is that DF uses, but I'm sure a lot of people, especially modders, already know).
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 08:00:41 am »

Yeah, I could do that. The code resembles a cross between C++, Java and Visual Basic, so anyone who knew one of those would probably be able to figure it out pretty easily. I'd have to comment it first, though.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:57:56 pm »

Is there a link to the programs? I'd love to test them and use them and make fantastic adventures with them but I don't much know how to use DFFD.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:17:20 pm »

Not to nit pick but shouldn't this be in the modding section?
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:10 pm »

@Tsuchigumo550 - I'll upload them tomorrow, if I can, and post the links.

@Arzzult - Girlinhat put hers in DF Dwarf Mode Discussion, and nobody complained (until quite a ways in). http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80121.msg2093847#msg2093847 I figured it'd be fine. Plus, going by her previous experience, plopping it into DF Modding nets 0 views. (I found her thread after I made the second program. The first was for manamaids.)
    As an added bonus, both programs add far more to Dwarf Mode than they do Adventure.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:25:26 pm by Talvieno »

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 09:29:37 pm »

Fair enough, the modding thread does tend to get kinda swamped.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »

Ooh, that sounds nice. I like Adv-civ-mods, but a nice solid fort addition is never bad.

Yeah, this -technically- isn't modding. It's debateably more related to it but it's a utility, not a mod.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 09:51:51 pm »

I thought about doing something like this in Python that would create a custom creature's RAWs in a seperate text file, to be copy-pasted by the user. However, I'm sure there are others in the forum that are infinitely more experienced with both programming and modding than I am (I'm essentially a beginner at both).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:55:28 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:46 am »

i'd really  like to see the programCAN I HAZ DOWNLOAD
posted from my kindle
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 10:23:12 am »

As it seemed to garner a bit of interest, I uploaded them. First post has been updated with links.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Creature, Civ, and Language Generator (Now with links)
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 03:54:49 pm »

To do list:
  • World domination
  • Pandora's Talvieno's box
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17