Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fortress, projects?  (Read 1190 times)

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
fortress, projects?
« on: November 26, 2012, 12:28:45 pm »

Well I have been lurking around for a bit before I decided to post this... Annnyways. Was planning on holding a section of the map digging out the rest of the map down probably 15-20z. Creating a solid stone bridge across to the edge of the map. I'll make a staircase leading up to the edge. Then build an interior raising bridge. Cover the area with ballistas catapults facing the bridge. Carving some towers in the entrance, after the time needed to do that.... Time for some random projects.

Edited*
Ideas for projects,improvements etc. I'm also hopeful that I can get my scrubtube working properly and have some dwarf fortress clips. Possibly doing some dwarf challenges etc. I play on masterwork df for the large ability of getting attacked year 1 or 2
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:09:25 pm by Volour »
Adapted to the caves

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: fortress, projects?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:53 pm »

To begin with welcome!

from that i guess you mean you're going to try and shoot goblins off of a narrow bridge into a deep pit using ballistas?
then a staircase from the pit back up so if they survive they can do it again?

sounds amusing, will take a fair amount of effort to dig the hole that deep, probably easier to do only ~5 z levels and dump spikes down there to impale them on the drop.

I think several people have a "similar" setup. although it's usually placing traps along a 1 tile wide bridge, where goblins will often "dodge" the trap and jump off the edge and into the spikes below.

good luck with it, not sure what you're looking for here though, encouragement? more ideas?
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Volour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

Yeah. I could use some ideas for the fort etc. "The bridge" I was going to wall it so I could train axe dwarfs to dispatch what's left of the goblins etc. Recently started using the danger room. Training mastersword dwarfs and mostly axelords. Still having problems with crossbowdwarfs, I know how to make the equipments two training rooms aka a barracks and a archery range. As I said before some projects I should try?

Edit* I'd like to be able to kill the goblins without my own dwarfs falling off, reason for the wall on the side.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:25:34 pm by Volour »
Adapted to the caves

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

The last time I tried the "make goblins dodge off a narrow bridge" defense, I discovered that 30Z levels falling onto upright spikes was not enough to guarantee death.   (I was using adamantine hammer weapon traps to make them dodge)

In fact, 50Z levels was not enough to guarantee death.  There was, IIRC, a significant change to damage from falling in 34.x.  A real shame.

You may not run into the same problem, but I did, so thought I'd give you fair warning.

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:31 pm »

You might just raise the bridge with them on it and watch as they go flying.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:36 am »

Arc Minecarts through the bridge. Have a Minecart collection system at the bottom that doubles as a killing collision floor for any goblin that is unlucky enough to get hit.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."