Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF to Real World Distance Conversion (Science Thread)  (Read 14297 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: DF to Real World Distance Conversion (Science Thread)
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 07:49:01 am »

To be accurate, you should do 48(tiles per local tile) x 16(local tiles per region tile) x 257 (world width in region tiles), ending with 38,957,285,376 embark tiles2. I'm not sure why you're factoring in 17s in the image for the local map...

The world view is a roughly zoomed-out view of the entire world, thus you can't include it in your calculations, as a small map has just as many tiles in that view as a large map does.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

oh bah i'm far from offended. theories are theories they are by definition disprovable, and by that improvable. For instance i was not sure that the world map had 257 tiles instead of 256. hmmm as for the actual size of the tiles it's easy to change the values.

Right there.  In game.  257.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 10:48:01 am »

Wasn't disagreeing I was saying i had a moment of durp >.>  no need to rub it in my face.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 11:32:32 am »

You could put a major city and the surrounding landscape into DF, but not much more. The LA basin, for instance, or the big island of Hawaii.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 03:15:54 am »

With this data in mind, I'm wondering how tall the average DF mountain is in meters and whether that makes the world have even weirder proportions.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 08:57:15 am »

With this data in mind, I'm wondering how tall the average DF mountain is in meters and whether that makes the world have even weirder proportions.

About 700 from sea level.  Definitely no more than twice that.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »

Everest is 8,850m at its peak.  8850/3 = 2950 z-levels above sea level. Rainier is at 4,392m, which is 1464 z-levels above sea level.

Apparently, depending on what part of the world you are in it only takes between 50 and 150 meters of height over the surrounding terrain (prominence).  Thats only 16 to 50 z-levels.  If you flip through the different views on the embark selection screen, the "cliff indicator" map lists a bunch of smaller changes (0 to 9, individually), then 10+ and 20+ changes over the embark (16x16) tile.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 04:25:35 am »

I think there's a reason the game is about dwarves and not normal sized people.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 [2]