Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Artist wanted for fantasy boardgame (DF, HOMM, Magic realm style)  (Read 3593 times)

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio

Hey guizeee, Me and a friend have been working very heavily on a board game in the past 3 weeks and we've come to a massive wall that can only be broken with art :D

The job entails 36 VERY simple drawings to be put on counters, I've included examples of my own work below.

So as you can see, nothing too artistically challenging. The only real challenge I had was (since I used MS paint), everything was uber zoomed in and so I had a very limited amount of pixels to work with in each square :D

If anyone is interested, pleaseeeee get back to me, this is a paid position.

Also if there's any board gamers who'd like to know more about the game I'd be more than happy to talk about it and get people excited
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:26:22 pm by professorlamp »
I write music for video games!
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Artist wanted for fantasy boardgame (DF, HOMM, Magic realm style)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:10 pm »

I'll help out if I can man. What kind of little simple drawings?

It might be nice to know what the game is about, your sparse descriptions have left my interest piqued.

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:23 pm »

Okay, to Robocorn and everyone else interested.

The boardgame is a game designed for 1-7 players, you can play solo, co-operatively or against each other or. It's designed to be quite non-linear however their will be pre-written scenarios should you wish to go down that path. It's basically a rules lite RPG played on a hex map.

It's a fantasy game where you are a hero, you may choose from 6 kinds of hero.
Wizard
Warlock
Knight
Fighter
Necromancer
Sorcerer

Each hero has 8 different kinds of creature (these are the things we need drawings of)
For example, the wizard has

1)Halflings, Halfling Warriors
2)Dwarves, Dwarf Lords
3)Alchemist, Thaumaturge
4)Stone Golem, Iron Golem
5)Mage, Mage Elder
6)Djinn, Efreet
7)Wind elemental, Tempest
8)Leviathan

The creature after the comma (,) is the upgraded version and has better stats. The 8 creatures are ordered by level with 8th level being the highest, you cannot upgrade an 8th level creature.

At the start of the game, you do not have any of these creatures, instead, you must recruit extremely weak 'starter' creatures, these are;

Peasants
Rogues
Thieves
Giant Spider
Slinger
Swamp Gremlins
Kobold
Kobold archer
War dog

you also begin with an army limit of 2 (the highest amount of creatures owned by one hero at any one time is 6). Once you have an army, you must begin to travel and find civlizations to acquire should you wish to improve and expand your army.

You can explore the map and do random quests, or you can cut to the chase and kill the badguy.
Quests, artefacts and creatures are the map are derived completely at random by rolling some dice and consulting some charts, my answer to DF :D

Sorry about the vagueness but that's all that I can think of at 2 in the morning  :'(
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:45 pm »

Bumpedy bump

The game has gone through somewhat of an overhaul and we've taken out over 50 creatures (it's better to know a select few inside and out rather than not recognise the strengths of any). We now only need 36 creatures drawn, if anyone is interested holla for dolla yo.

This is a paid job aswell, prices can be negotiated
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:28:54 pm »

What sizes are we talking about here?

Or are we free to make them whatever big and leave the exact resizing to you guys?

I'd be interested in doing atleast a few of these, especially since I have a bit more time lately.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 06:16:21 pm »

They'll be 15mm counters, but we also need artists for battle/world maps and potentially, cards.
The exact creature list is not definite yet. I will confirm the list of creatures and post it up to show either tomorrow or the day after

www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 06:56:40 pm »

Although i have my own stuff going as well, it's at such a slow pace that i find myself potentially interested in this. That is, if you can use pixel art for it, since i'm not exactly good at macroscopic drawings at the time being. Are those 47x47 counters indicative of the actual image size?
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:06:58 pm »

Pixel art is fine for us. Ideally we'd like detailed (ish) large drawings shrunken down to size. Starting small just does not allow a great level of detail at this size. The images above are not the exact sizes no, each counter is 15mm.
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:16:34 pm »

Yes but at that size any details you might have had are lost and the image itself will pobably end up too messy to be clearly read at a glance. It would be much better IMHO if you had separate images for the counters and whatever they're tied to that had some similar theme, detail, color scheme that makes it relatively easy to make the connection that the thing on the counter is the same thing on the card or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 07:39:45 pm »

Right you are good sir.

The coloured background actually dictates their designation.

Starter creatures (which are now not included) were yellow
Warlocks backgrounds are purple
Wizards are light blue
Knights are dark blue
Sorcerers are orange
Necromancers are grey
Fighters are olive green

The dwarves in the example were before this colour scheme was decided, so really they should have a light blue background.
If we do have cards (we probably will) these will also be based around the same colour scheme for ease and correlation.

The function of the counters is not just for representation, they are not stationary throughout play. During battles these will get moved to various locations, the cards would be for additional information that would not fit on the counter (there's a lot of stats for some creatures and fitting it on the counter would just look too clunky).

Basically, the counter is for an overview of the creature, and the playing card will include the full detail of that creature

www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »

Sounds pretty awesome, i must say! I wish you the best of luck with this boardgame, regardless of whether i get to participate or not. c:

Anyhoo, good point about the detail level, i keep forgetting that reality doesn't operate in pixels. With that said, 15 mm isn't a terribly big space for a full-blown masterwork drawing (GIMP says you can fit up to a 43x43 px square into 15x15 mm without scaling down), though i obviously don't know what kind of resolution you're operating with, so it's entirely possible that my preferred scale of work is too small.

Given that, i stand ready as a reserve, if no artist(s) of higher qualification should show up.

also gimme a shout if you want me to try doing a counter for a sample
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 05:55:16 am »

I think most professional printers demand a resolution of no smaller than 300dpi. Again though, the level of detail does not have to be big, I'd just say better than the ones I've created  :'(

Also I'm not demanding a large artistic skill for these, the best artwork will be on the world map and battlemaps. Aslong as the counters look indicative of their name I'll be happy :D

Note: Here's a very good example.

This game is called magic realm and was basically 'D&D on a board'.
The counters are also 15mm and look at the level of simplicity and clarity.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 06:06:42 am by professorlamp »
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:41 am »

i might be interested, though i'm not really sure what you want.
you want the drawings to be full color, grayscale, monochromatic, dicromatic? i'm guessing monochromatic for cheapness of print.
for the aesthetic, do you want it abstracted ball of lightning and fire representing a wizard or a sword and shield representing a warrior, etc, or full blown illustrations simplified and scaled down for small tokens?

you also want vector drawings rather than raster images, as those can be scaled up and down without losses

professorlamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • joereynoldsaudio
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:19 am »

Hey Askot,

The job entails many small drawings, *for now* creature tokens are our biggest desire, but these are not needed yet as there stats are forever changing. When we have solid stats for the creatures, THEN we can start the artwork properly, I was just gauging interest and getting a bit ahead to save time later on.  They'd either by monochromatic or full colour and abstract images for the heroes and simple illustrations for most of the rest. Money isn't too much of a problem as the game itself is fairly contents lite (lots of counters and some small unmounted maps.)

The things we DO need icons of right away are;

Icons of (All icons listed are square 15mm counters)

Wizard hero (can be an alchemy symbol or a wand or anything really) - Light blue background
Knight (could be a sword or a shield or anything else that fits) - Dark blue background
Fighter (a battleaxe, mace etc...) - Olive green background
Sorcerer ( vial or mercury, icarus wings etc...) - Orange background
Warlock ( absolutely no idea, your call) - Purple background
Necromancer (again, no idea, your call) - Grey background

*Home counters*

Brief description

A home in this game is where all recruitment and development of your civilization takes place. It is a 15mm counter and has the same background colour of the respective creature, for example a necromancers home would have a home icon with a grey background

6 Home icons needed, one for each hero. The icon itself cannot be a tent or a castle as these are already separate buildings and could confuse newcomers. Maybe something like a campfire? or just a big' H' :D

*Treasure icon*

Brief description:

during play, you may hear of rumours of treasure, this treasure is represented by a 15mm counter.

This could be a picture of a treasure chest, a big pile of gold/gems, whatever.

*Infirmary*

Brief description:

during combat you may suffer negative effects such as being burnt. These can be cured at the infirmary. Again, this is represented by a 15mm counter and will probably just have a red cross on it.

*Witch doctor*

exactly the same effect as the infirmary except it is for negative magical effects such as being turned to stone. This could be represented by a tribal mask.

There are a few others to list but I'll just gauge your reaction, there's a lot of creative freedom really, as long as the counter looks like its name, then it's okay!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:49:42 am by professorlamp »
www.joereynoldsaudio.com

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 07:48:38 pm »

does this meet your expectations? the design i mean, i'll render it as a vector graphic later so it can be scaled at will
Pages: [1] 2