Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Spearbreakers Alternate Reality Story Fort: The Broken Spear  (Read 6953 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Spearbreakers Alternate Reality Story Fort: The Broken Spear
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:50 pm »

Hello. Most who come here I suspect will be from the Spearbreakers main thread. I'll give a breif rundown of what this mess is. The main thread can be found here. As I'm no novelist, expect chapters to be short.

The following is a continuation of a non-canon version of Spearbreakers during The Master's turn. The incident involved a dwarven liaison left over from the year before accidentally being targeted during a goblin ambush which sparked a loyalty cascade that killed all but 15 dwarves (from well over a hundred.) With All the other leaders dead and still rotting in the halls, the fortress' only remaining officer and founder is Colonel Fischer Strifulrope. She has served as Commander and Champion since the fortress was born, and now assumes the mantle of leadership to save her home from utter destruction. She knows that now is not the time to discriminate, and will use any means to ensure survival of not only the fortress, but all who come to seek asylum in the fortress, be they dwarf, human, goblin, elf, or any other creature.

Spearbreakers yet lives, but wethere or not time will decide to finsh the fortreess off is another matter entirely.

If you'd like an avatar as they become available, please specify a name seperate from what your dwarfs name was in the main thread. This OP may be updated with more information upon request.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers Alternate Reality Story Fort: The Broken Spear
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:16 pm »

Current Population: 12

The Living
Overseer-Militant Fischer Strifefulrope, The Blanketed Convent
Mayor/Pikemaster Draignean Firstmoss, The Distant Container of Praries
Sergeant Paintbrushturkey Graveltired, The Sepia Polish of Attacking
Guard Captain Marlin Townsafe
Pikemaster Dauros Hushedboat, The Old Legend
Head Doctor Doctormonch Ceilingspray
Doctor Wari Swallowedgilds
Farmhand Hedgeman Blockadeesteem
Farmhand Burner Torchgrouped
Axe Lord Aseaheru Bronzeswim, The Exalted Spy of Decay, the second
Ex-Overseer Mitchewawa Twinkleequal
Fortress Administrator Corai Geardposts

Others: To be divded into subgroups if we manage to get any nondwarf migrants.
Elves

Humans

Goblins

The Dead: Will record those who fall post disaster.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:00 pm »

The Broken Spear
A Spearbreakers Alternate Reality Story.

Chapter 1: The Spear is Broken
“Only when the tip has no bite does a spear become truly broken.” - Unknown Dwarven Soldier

So many dead. So very many dead. Dwarves who depended on her as their protector and she had failed them all. She sat atop the Fist of Rage, the fortress' only finished in full monument, looking at the stink and smoke billowing out of the fortress. “You tried your best ma’am.” Dauros said quietly. “There's nothing we can do for them now.” Fischer said nothing, or even made a sound. She never would admit it but she was crying on the inside. On the outside however, she appeared to be cold as stone. Her squadmates knew she was hurting though. Skitara and Draignean had killed several in self-defense, as had Paintbrush and Asea in 2nd Squad, and all of them had already broken down and cried. Dauros had the fortune of sleeping a far distance into the residential block, and had slept through the worst of it, as had Fischer. “Everyone, Place your weapons in the armor or sling them. We won't be needing them.” She said suddenly. “Dauros, Skitara, Draignean, find anyone who's hurt and get them into the hospital. Paintbrush, find where the hell Aseaheru is. Doctormonch, Wari and Mitch aren't too badly hurt. Get them back on their feet.” Nearly everyone nodded and went to their tasks, even Draignean who normally would spout some narcissistic quip or another did so silently. “What about you Colonel?” Dauros asked. “Tell Awl he's our new Mayor. He can move into Simon's office. I'm moving into Splint's room, since all of the accounting ledgers and overseer notes are in there. I'll need them to figure out what I'm working with. I'll be down to help with the wounded and dead shortly.” Once the others were gone, Fischer actually took off her helmet and wept for the first time since Stova had died years ago.

Not long later, She came down to find Draignean hauling a limping fellow who identified himself as Hedgman. “Thpse coffins are going unused. Fit whatever bodies you find in there. At this point,. I don't care if it's a goblin, a human or a dog. Just ge tthese bodies cleaned up.” She said As Doctormonch and Dauros worked to get their charges back on their feet. She got a few half-hearted “Yes ma'am” or “aye ma'ams,” but otherwise there was little noise. Mitch was unconscious with a head injury, Wari got to her feet as Dauros finished wrapping her arm. “I'm ready to help Colonel. Pardon my infirmity.” She said apologetically. “It's fine. Do you know where Asea is? Paintbrush has looked everywhere but he can't find him.” Wari nodded “He fell into the ditch by the main gate. What the hell happened? I was stuck with a mug after Asea fell in and that's the last thing I remember.” “A fuckin' disaster, that's what.” Hedgeman said. “An' If yer lookin' fer Awl, he's up in the surface farms. Dunno if he's still alive.” “He's a tough bastard. He'll make it.” A wounded farmer said named Burner. His nose appeared to be unnaturally flattened against his face and his hand was clearly broken. “Hey, Mitch! Come on Mitch, snap to!” Asea said suddenly, smacking Mitch until he finally came to his senses. “Where'd you come from?” Fischer demanded to know. “Paintbrush heard me yelling for help in the gate ditch. He knocked out some of the bricks and filled me in.” Mitch sat up holding his head, and let out a groan of aching pain. “What happened? I remember Hans blocking a mug and then nothing...” He then vomited when he realized he was in the hospital, and worse, there were dead dwarves littering it. Dwarves he'd known for years. “Hans is dead Mitch. As is almost everyone else. Get something to eat and a change of clothes. I need all the dwarves I can get on their feet helping the wounded. And any of you not in First or Second squads, turn in your armor and weapons. You won't be needing them.” Mitch began stumbling like a sober dwarf towards the door when he turned and asked ”What about the crops?” “They can rot in the field. We have more than enough food and drink for the dozen or so of us who live.”

Work continued as the few survivors tried desperately to do what they could. Dead animals and dwarves were being found dead everywhere. There were never enough coffins for all the dead of any species, and poor priorities were resulting in time lost that should have been spent saving the wounded. Corai, Eldes, Awl and Skitara had yet to be accounted for, though Paintbrush bursting in shouting for someone to get him some sutures with Corai at least eliminated that single concern. “Don't worry Corai, you'll be ok.” He said, trying to be reassuring. “Ok, so we got a few busted toes and a fractured foot. I'll get you patched up in no time buddy.” “Killll meee.....” The poor Craftsdwarf said. He'd been locked in the old garbage dump for nearly a week and was perilously close to death. After much thrashing and screaming, if nothing else Paintbrush managed to fix a compound fracture and repair a torn organ in Corai. “I'll be back in a flash Corai, I gotta go find Marlin.” “Two down....” Corai spluttered. “Say again?” “She's... She's two floors down...” Sure enough, Marlin was dragging herself to the The stairs, a tourniquet made from a worn out shirt wrapped around her stump of a left arm. Like he'd done for Corai, Paintbrush brought her up and did what he could in a hurry. Wari was rushing to and from the dining hall, bringing food into the hospital for the wounded while Mitch constantly worked the well bringing up water from the caverns. Awl had sadly passed on by the time Paintbrush found him, And Draignean assumed the role of Mayor, if only so the humans would have a diplomat to meet. Mr Frog and Eldes were also beyond saving, Eldes being found dead of starvation and buried up to his chest in mud, and Mr frog being found among the piles of dead dwarves atop the statue garden. Skitara's body was found torn open in the main road, leaving their final count at 12 dwarves.

“We did our best everyone...” Fischer said as the final deaths were written in Splint's blood spattered ledger. “We saved a few lives, but there's a lot of work to do. First and foremost, we need to get these bodies and fluids cleaned up. Get to it While I handle moving everyone's things around.”

With that those not treating the wounded dispersed with their orders. Fischer looked at the ledger two nights later, Splint's blood still dried to it and wrote in inside at the top of the list of all the dead dwarves, now complete after two days of scouring the bodies to find out who is who amongst the remains “You won't be forgotten.” And set it inside her lockbox as she took out her Adamantine Cross and set it on her nightstand. Before she never cared for it but now she'd wear it proudly, as it is a symbol of the respect and faith her people had in her. “Too quiet...” She said as she laid down and went to sleep.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:36:28 pm »

Chapter 2: Overseer-Militant
“Being a leader of warriors is one thing. Being a leader of a city is another nightmare altogether.” - Colonel Fischer Strifulrope

It had taken weeks of scraping to clean all the blood and viscera off the walls and sweep the rotting organ meat and such into closets out of sight. It was the night of 10th Galena, and the somber dozen dwarves were in the now painfully quiet dining hall. Corai had cleaned it up since the disastrous riot that began there months ago. Mugs that once sat in unused piles were in crates stacked neatly in the corner. A few animals limped in and out at their leisure, a box of mugs holding one of the doors open. “Alright.” Fischer said in her  usual commanding tone. “We're going to need to refit the mess so we'll have a functioning base of dwarves to build upon when new folk come here.” The others shifted about nervously. “First off we're adjusting our living arrangements. Paintbrush,. Dauros, and Asea. You've all earned an upgrade in your accommodations. Dauros, you switch with Draignean. Draignean, you move into Simon's place over near the containment center. Asea, Paintbrush, you two can move intot he larger rooms near mine by the skulker barracks.” Her subordinates nodded. Draignean had finally began returning to his old self and said it was about time he got himself some of those gold plated chairs his ass deserved. “Corai, we need a merchant and book keeper. Can you do that? If so I want you to move your things into Splint's room and you to take over his accommodations. However I'll be taking the journals I've been storing in there.” “I don't have a choice do I.” “Not really. You're the only one left besides me with any sort of organizational ability. And since I'm needed to kill things, that means you need to take the helm and keep tabs on things.” “Great.” Corai said with a sigh. “Monch, you and Wari are the only ones with any real medical skill besides the quick patch jobs Dauros and Paintbrush did. I want you to assume role of head physician since Wari's arm is still messed up.” Doctormonch nodded. “You can count on me Colonel.”

“Actually, that's not an accurate title.” Dauros said, putting an open book on the table they sat around. “Why not? I'm still head of the fortress military, even if it's in shambles.” Fischer said irritably. “I did some poking around in one of Splint's books dated from when he was made Baron years ago. It says in the event of a major disaster that claims the lives of the fortress leadership, the highest ranking military officer is to assume role of 'Overseer-Militant' either permanently or until such a time they feel that may step down. The usual article of succession is Champion, Colonel, Guard Captain, and then the most senior sergeant who happens to be alive, or barring that, the most senior infantrydwarf who happens to be alive.” Fischer just stared at him blankly. “So?” She then said after a brief  period of suprisingly awkward silence. “I'm saying that as per dwarven law, you are now the legal binding ruler of the fortress, and your title is to be recognized not as Colonel, but Overseer-Militant, since you're acting overseer and military commander.” “So she's like... AN amazon queen of us or something?” Draignean blurted out. Fischer promptly pimp-slapped him with an armored hand. “What did I tell you about talking before you think.” Draignean sat stunned, poked his face and realized there was a large back-hand shaped bruise on his cheek. “Oh MY GODS!!! MY FACE!! NO!” He shouted as he stood up, his chair toppling to the floor as he ran for the door, tripping over a sleeping ram in the process that landed him face first into an engraving of a peach-faced lovebird. The ram, less than pleased to have been stepped on, headbutted him in the backside and wandered into the food store to go back to sleep. Draignean meanwhile, had skidded a shot ways into the box holding the door open, pushing it away and causing the heavy stone door to whack him in the head. “You alright Draig?” Burner asked. No response. Burner walked over and poked him with a giant emu femur and turned him over, reveal him to have been knocked out by the door. “Ugh, someone find a bed and put him in it until he wakes up.” Fischer said, clearly exasperated. “Always did care more about his looks than anything.” Mitch said as he and bruner took an arm and dragged Draignean out of the mess hall. “Right then. Anyway, last order of business is The Fortress Guard. Marlin, as its only suriving member you're promoted to Guard Captain. You can use the jail meeting room as your office and dining area if you so choose.” Marlin saluted with her stump of an arm. “Thanks ma'am. I'll try my best.” “I know you will. Oh, and someone tell Draignean he's acting mayor until we find someone better.” With that, the group dispersed.

Over the next few days, more bodies would be found: Splint was found with Lefton's sword in his gut outside the surface farm, Eldes was a dried out husk over by the old wagon entry (which now had glumprongs and oaks growing in the path,) Late one night, however, Corai heard a terrible sound. There was a sound of marching boots and growling bears approaching.

The humans had come for another round.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:38:22 pm »

Chapter 3: Minor Inconvieniences.
“These dwarves are tough, but not invincible.” - Unknown human soldier during the second human siege of Spearbreakers

“Guys! Guys we have a problem! Where's Fischer, Where the hell is everyone!?” Corai shouted hysterically. “What is it!?” Dauros said, worride by the terrified dwarf. “HUMANS! ON BEARS.” “Ahhh shit.... Asea, you got your axe?”  “In my room. I'll meet you topside.” Asea replied and rushed off. “Where's Fischer? Draignean? Paintbrush?” “Sleeping, Sleeping, and hell if I know.” Withing a few moments the two were heading outside into the eerie dusk. The sun was a pale reddish orange on the horizon, and a column of smoke gave away the humans. “Low and slow. We'll creep upp then hit them with what we can.” Dauros said. And the two began a mostly silent creep towards the smoke.

They crept up on the humans, most of whom were still unsaddling. The ones who were already on foot had set up a small encampment around a moderately sized bonfire. “Think we have a chance? I mean, after what happened to the Nemeans-” “Quiet! We'll be fine. We have Captain Ganuh with us, and no man alive can best him in swordplay.” “No MAN alive. These are dwarves we're dealing with, and ones from Spearbreakers at that.” The two humans continued arguing until Dauros and Asea leapt from the shrubbery into them, Asea striking first and decapitating a hammerman as he was getting off his bear. He then slew the bear in a single swing of his axe, though he had to duck and block while he wrenched it out of the bear's head. Dauros chose the time to charge headlong into a bear and planted his pike firmly in it's side before managing to lever himself onto it and into the face of the startled rider. “How you doin' sweetheart?” He said before headbutting her in the face and off her mount. He then drew a small knife and slammed it into the bear's head before stumbling off. Asea meanwhile, had dispatched another bear and rider. Dauros grabbed his pike, and smashed the buttplate into the dismounted foe's skull before taking on the next enemy, whom charged on bearback and was given a pike through the skull from the bottom. Asea meanwhile, called out the human officer, and sliced one of his subordinates in half to make a point. “THISS'LL BE YOU WRETCH!” He bellowed. Close behind, another human was dismounted with brain trauma from the haft of Dauros' pike which had been swung like club into the human while a shield bash silenced the bear. Many bears now were riderless and trying to flee from the dwarven warriors. The brawl had lasted nearly an hour and Asea was nearing the limit of his endurance, as was Dauros, though he was still able to stand. “Come back here you cowards! We're not done with you yet!” Asea shouted, throwing his shield only for it to bounce harmlessly off a tree. In a final spurt of energy, Asea charged forwar and brought the human captain and his beast low as the stragglers fled into the deeper woods around the fortress. However, the human captain was n't beaten yet. While his men fled, he aimed to slay the monster who'd murdered his beloved mount, now passed out before him. However, he was interrupted by a sudden shout of “I GOT YA ASEA!!!” as Dauros dove onto him. The human grappled and threw Dauros aside and decided to cut his losses and run when he suddenly felt the bite of a pointy thing in his midsection: Dauros had impaled him with extreme prejudice.

Dauros managed to shakily stand up and shoved the shocked human over, then planted his pike in the joint of his hand and severed it. The humans cries echoed all around as Dauros stabbed him again in the shoulder and the chest. He then severed the swordmaster's arm, and irritably houted at the screaming blood soaked mess “WHY *Stab* WONT *Stab* YOU *Stab* FUCKING *Stab* DIE!?” However before he could stab again, the human struck him with his shield and managed to run into the trees screaming for help.

Dauros could faintly see Paintbrush rushing over as he blacked out.

-

“Welcome back to the land of the living” Wari said to the groggy dwarf. “Where's Asea? He ok?” Dauros asked hectically. “He's fine. Paintbrush dragged you both in just before sundown yesterday. He's dealing with a spawn ambush right n-” Dauros shot up and grabbed his helmet off the nearby table “SPAWN!? I gotta get out there!” “They'll be fine. These are Speabreakers Axe Lords they're dealing with.” “They?” “Asea woke up a little while ago and went with Paintbrush to deal with the spawn. Turns out one of the watchdogs is still alive.” Shrill cries that were different from Ashsaber or Softa made it clear they'd made contact. Slowly the screaming faded, indicating the spawn had been more or less exterminated or driven off. Dauros flopped back on the hospital bed with a tense sigh.

_

Fischer watched the now blood spattered screens in Mr Frog's lab of the battle. She would have gone herself But she wanted to try and figure out how these damned machines worked. The first killed went to Paintbrush, who sliced off one leg of the lead spawn, and using his axes to hold it down, stomped his foot into the maw of the beast where the sound of a lump of obsidian shattering was audible even to the cameras. The beast let out a pathetic cry as it breathed its last. Asea rushed by and managed to bowl over the spawn, though he fell on it in the process. It grabbed him by his shield and threw him off itself, only for Asea to scramble to his feet and deliver an axe bit to its neck, sending it down with the force of the strike. Two more angry thunks into spawn flesh left the beast headless. The pair of axelords charged the next, the beast swinging at Asea (who was closer) and missing, though the shattered roadstones where it's claw struck were concerning. Asea chopped away the axe as it recovered from the strike and found himself swatted into the wall, while Paintbrush came in and killed it with one blow from his axe cutting it nearly in half from shoulder to kidney, the heart being sliced in half perfectly by the adamantine blade. The last two attackers attacked in a self destructive charge and between the two warriors, one was disarmed and delegged quickly before Paintbrush picked it up and let Asea remove it's head, silencing its panicked cries. He then threw the headless body at the next, tripping it up as it brought it's claw back to strike.[And now for some artistic flair. Paintbrush bisected it but that makes for poor storytelling in my eyes.] It got to its feet frighteningly quick but Paintbrush had already tossed his shields and weapons aside pinned it to the wall. He then jammed his fist into its maw, the spawn clamping down on his forearm but failing to penetrate the masterfully made gauntlet. “Think Talvi did a good job on these freakmeat?” He said with a sick smile as he (with a great deal of effort on his part,) managed to force his hand in with Asea holding it's maw open and started to yank at its heart, prompting it to begin screeching and thrashing wildly before a snap was heard as the obsidian, glowing faintly red was torn out and shown to the dying beast, a look of shock visible on its distorted face before Paintbrush, ina show of pure malice, smashed the heart on its owner's own head.

As the pair gathered their kit if they dropped any of it, Fischer just nodded and said to nobody “Good show boys.” Before turning to the other monitors, and a panel to control the cameras. 'With dwarves like these... We'll make it.' She thought. Perhaps Autumn would be better, and perhaps next year the humans would sue for pece after so many men died in the last two years. 'We'll make it.' Her thought echoed as she gave up and left the lab.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 05:51:30 pm »

posting to watch.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:46 pm »

Much appreciated.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:42 pm »

your welcome.
Highly Opinionated Fool

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:20:38 pm »

Posting to watch as well.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »

Once again thank you. If I can think of an interesting conversation, I'll have another chapter up later tonight.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »

Loving it so far... and this is coming from the guy who was skeptical of it, too. I like how Fischer's suddenly in on the timewar, and as always, you do an excellent job with the combat scenes.

If we get migrants at some point, about a year in or so, could you name one of them "Vanya"? I expect her to make it back to the fortress by then, but she'll be alone, except (possibly) for Reudh.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 06:31:14 pm »

who said shes in on it? Frog might have just left her a note saying to go look for the screens.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 06:34:26 pm »

I went with her deciding to figure out how the equipment works for security reasons since Mr Frog always knew where the enemy was coming from. ANd yes, I'll be happy to 'revive' Vanya if we get migrants this autumn (human assault team sort of dashed hopes for summer migrants.)
Pages: [1] 2 3