Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfquery - Legend File Query tool  (Read 1954 times)

EmoSpaceMonkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfquery - Legend File Query tool
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:16:12 pm »

Hi All,

I've posted this here to get some feedback on my first Ruby Rails app and first for DF.

Dwarfquery application parses the Legend File produced by a Dwarf Fortress game before you start the game. It can be a considerable size with a medium sized game being a couple of hundred megabytes in size. This XML is difficult to read. This tool parses the information and turns it into a searchable database.

It is currently hosted on CloudFoundry. As the XML file is large it is not run in real time but using Resque/.Redis which means the file can be parsed not in real time. Also as the Worker Instance (which parses the file) is a different application than the Server app and Cloudfoundry does not allow shared files, the file is uploads then synced across on Dropbox. This can mean 10 minutes or so for a large file to upload.

I would probably do the parsing by email if I was to extend this.

You can view the login and see what goes on within the application at

http://dwarfquery.cloudfoundry.com

Use the test user : testuser@gmail.com. password is:sammy1

Using this test user you and search and view the data.

This application makes use of alot of gems within Rails including the composite_key, dropbox sdk, resque and of course cloudfoundry.

Including some screenshots below. Historical Figures, Entities they are linked to and Historical Events. There is more related informaton if you browse round.

Take a look and let me know what you think ?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:21:11 pm by EmoSpaceMonkey »