Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"  (Read 26423 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2012, 07:59:36 am »

OK, is it just me, or does anyone else keep reading the title as Albuquerque Drive?

((Had to look that one up))

So a FTL drive powered by an American city. I'm afraid we haven't managed a stupidity to energy transfer yet.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

OK, is it just me, or does anyone else keep reading the title as Albuquerque Drive?

So a FTL drive powered by an American city. I'm afraid we haven't managed a stupidity to energy transfer yet.
Invent that, and you will become a billionaire!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2012, 08:16:17 am »

Apparently, one Albuquerque Drive has already been built.
Hmm, so if you stretch that road from Earth to Alpha Centauri then travel between here and there would be like a walk to the shops.  (I didn't actually see any shops on it, of course, so I might be wrong about that.)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2012, 11:47:39 am »

Invent that, and you will become a billionaire!

Though it would only be capable of left turns.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 07, 2012, 12:41:22 am »

If I remember right, Alcubierre drives are a paradox because you need a previous Alcubierre drive to pave the way for the one coming. Hence, it's impossible.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2012, 12:43:48 am »

Uh...no? All it does is bend spacetime. You only need one.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 07, 2012, 12:52:59 am »

No way, we aren't unleashing spambots on the universe.
I wonder how aliens would react to our species if their first contact with us was an ad for tentacle enhancement pills.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 07, 2012, 06:38:51 am »

I am Dr. John Typicalname's widow, the wife of the human in charge of Auditing section of Earth in Geneva, Switzershire, Terraearth, Solsun, Orion-Cygnus Arm. I need your urgent business assistance in transferring an abandoned sum of MW§19.3x1015 left by a deceased visitor to my planet immediately to your homeworld.

If you are interested and ready to partake in this great business opportunity, kindly send your probes to me including your self/hive-identification index, Brood-Name, Planet/Spacial Coordinates andyour quantum-linking number for easy communication.

I will send you full details on how the business will be executed and also note that you will receive 40% of the above mentioned amount if you agree to help me execute this business.

May the almighty Entropy be favourably with you at all times so Please contact me back FOR THE FULL DETAILS OF THIS PROPOSAL,WITH THE FOLLOWING INFORMETIONS.

YOUR FULL SELF/HIVE-IDENTIFICATION INDEX..........................

YOUR BROOD-NAME............................

YOUR PLANET OR SPACIAL COORDINATES............................

YOUR QUANTUM-LINKING NUMBER............................

Respectfully.

Dr. John Typicalname (Mrs)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 07, 2012, 06:57:11 am »

lulz

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:40 am »

If I remember right, Alcubierre drives are a paradox because you need a previous Alcubierre drive to pave the way for the one coming. Hence, it's impossible.
IIRC, that's only true for a FTL Alcubierre drive made without using exotic mater.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2012, 10:22:58 am »

IIRC, that's only true for a FTL Alcubierre drive made without using exotic mater.
Oh great, it's either impossible because we haven't built one yet, or it's impossible because we're using imaginary matter to build one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 07, 2012, 10:49:35 am »

Even if we had to build "roads" with sublight ships FTL would still be plenty useful.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 07, 2012, 11:18:48 am »

Oh great, it's either impossible because we haven't built one yet, or it's impossible because we're using imaginary matter to build one.
Exotic matter. Negative density matter to be precise. Besides, we could try using the Casimir effect to replace the exotic matter

Imaginary matter is something else entirely. Basically, it's impossible for imaginary matter to move slower than light. Got a lot to do with Tachyons and stuff.

((It suprises me how much we know about stuff without knowing wherether or not it actually exist))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:56 am »

That's physics for you. It really says something when a field of science has two entire subfields that are completely devoted to the theoretical aspects of it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13