Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"  (Read 26339 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:05 pm »

Yeah, there was the slight problem of getting it to the destination first.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 04:28:09 pm »

Pretty sure that's right, because at launch, V'Ger ran on about 470 watts.
You can't know that.  V'Ger (and its three immediate predecessors) haven't even been launched yet, with only Voyagers 1 and 2 so far having been launched.  (In our time-line, at least!)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

All you shmucks talking about radiation... the ship stays in place, so no radiation is generated, but space is contracting in front and expanding in the back, and space moving that way moves the ship FTL but makes no hawking radiation. Did you not read the article?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »

Also, I think that this method avoids the problem of time dilation, imaginary time, infinite mass etc. too.

First I thought someone had ignored my wall of text again (wouldn't blame you), but just realised that's another thread.  (Skip to the "So (@TheBronzePickle)" bit, about 2/5ths of the way down. ;))
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 05:20:37 pm by Starver »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2012, 05:38:44 pm »

So, to an outside observer, you arrive there at the SoL?
Erm... if that's about what I just put (must be), and you didn't start right at the top (I told you not to, because that was the original replying vector, before I went off into the fantasy I decided needed conveying here), then... no.

That's FTL I'm describing, with the "avoiding the issues with time dilation, etc, etc", much as you just talked about.

You appear to have moved at... erm... (365*24*60..., carry the one, shift to the left...) 525,600 times the SoL, in that "Took four minutes to go 4LY" (objectively and subjectively) example.

Which I also tried to make pains to explain is just a thought experiment based upon a possibly fictional 'special' case of travel.  (But the one you just suggested.)

So, no, I can't tell you how I know this.  (My Galactic Brood Brothers would kill me if I tried!)

Basically, we can come up with theories left, right and centre, but until it is done, we have fuck all of an idea of what WILL DEFINITELY happen.
Indeedily.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2012, 06:20:55 pm »

Your hatred and insanity shall be the one to pierce the heavens!

Perhaps literally.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »

That's assuming they have bones to begin with.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2012, 06:33:31 pm »

And you're assuming at terran-type biochemistry.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2012, 07:18:00 pm »

It doesn't matter if they are pure energy beings. We WILL find a way to make a profit out of them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »

It doesn't matter if they are pure energy beings. We WILL find a way to make a profit out of them.

We can power our ships with them!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2012, 08:02:28 pm »

What does a 'pure energy being' even entitle? For that matter, what is 'pure energy'? And how does it form a being?!? If it is pure energy, wouldn't it be a perfectly homogeneous blob of energy? Can a perfectly homogeneous blob of anything ever be a sentient being?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 08:47:03 pm »

What does a 'pure energy being' even entitle? For that matter, what is 'pure energy'? And how does it form a being?!? If it is pure energy, wouldn't it be a perfectly homogeneous blob of energy? Can a perfectly homogeneous blob of anything ever be a sentient being?
A complex interaction of magnetic loops?

It would need to be a self-sustaining (or at least cyclically reforming itself into a roughly equivalent new formations, much as our limbs pretty much stay attached, however much we move them around to accomplish our more corporeal 'work'), feeding off of more ambient versions of itself as necessary, and for a properly reproducing life should be able to do some energy-formation equivalent of DNA replication...  Perhaps.

I think that it couldn't just sit in isolation, but might well be the formation of a being that resides within a plasma substrate (such as within the atmosphere of a star).  And perhaps if intelligence (or happenstance instinct) allows such a being to develop an 'energy ship' of contsructed magnetic lines that allows an 'atmosphere' of plasma to be taken (with a magnetic-loop-being within that) out of its original habitat and somewhere where it might encounter strange chemical-bond-formed creatures, such as us, on the (to them) 'lifeless' surfaces of the 'rocky waste balls that its ship probably cannot survive a full-on encounter with the atmosphere of anyway...  It might meet us while our "Metal cans" are flying around.  Whether it'll recognise us, is another matter.  As is whether our tin-can pilots and other passengers would recognise this strange "coronal mass ejection" thing as being a sentient being (at least somewhere inside) on an exploration mission of its own...

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 09:08:25 pm »

A popular notion is energy beings were once a race of fleshy creatures who learned how to become energy beings through enlightenment and !!SCIENCE!!.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 09:09:32 pm »

I like the sun-dweller idea better.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:22 pm »

So, I haven't read anything on this past the first link, and i'm going to say:
I'm going to laugh when the first test lands the ship:
A. In the middle of the sun.
B. In the middle of a planet.
C. Next to a black hole.
D. In an entirely different universe filled with hyper-intelligent time-beings, with tenticals.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13