Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"  (Read 26382 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 06:11:49 am »

I'm sure our elven hatred and insanity can produce exotic matter. We shall fuel this engine with insanity and hatred to ascend to the stars!

[MATTER_EXOTIC]

Needs to happen.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2012, 07:53:38 am »

Math's just a language, one that allows models that don't neceseraly reflect reality. It's physics you need.
Recently I stumbled upon a definition of maths that changed my perception of it entirely.
Numbers are all vectors, axioms are everything that define how maths works.
The axioms describe how our universe works; if you changed the universe - you change the axioms, and so change the numbers.
So in this regard maths isn't a language, but a description of how the world works investigated by physics.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 08:05:30 am »

Math's just a language, one that allows models that don't neceseraly reflect reality. It's physics you need.
Recently I stumbled upon a definition of maths that changed my perception of it entirely.
The axioms describe how our universe works; if you changed the universe - you change the axioms, and so change the numbers.
So in this regard maths isn't a language, but a description of how the world works investigated by physics.
Just remember. Yog Sothoth is the Key AND the Gate
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 08:11:37 am »

Shameless PTW.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2012, 09:15:05 am »

And you're assuming at terran-type biochemistry.
It doesn't matter if they are pure energy beings. We WILL find a way to make a profit out of them.

We can power our ships with them!
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2050#comic
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 09:43:46 am »

And you're assuming at terran-type biochemistry.
It doesn't matter if they are pure energy beings. We WILL find a way to make a profit out of them.

We can power our ships with them!
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2050#comic

Heh, I lol'ed.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 10:20:32 am »

Just remember. Yog Sothoth is the Key AND the Gate
Hmm...well at least the Alcubierre bubble should be free of Hounds of Tindalos, since it doesn't have any angled surfaces.

It is kind of ironic that most of human progress has come from someone trying to find a better way to kill, sell or exploit. Art, music and literature were just kind of side effects created to pass the time (and give somebody something to sell).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:55 am »

It is kind of ironic that most of human progress has come from someone trying to find a better way to kill, sell or exploit. Art, music and literature were just kind of side effects created to pass the time (and give somebody something to sell).
Kinda unfair generalization, considering how a lot of those things appeared in isolationist societies and societies without monetary values :<

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 11:56:02 am »

Kinda unfair generalization, considering how a lot of those things appeared in isolationist societies and societies without monetary values :<
Maybe the latter part was a tad cynical. But the original assertion stands. Even the most remote tribe in the Amazon eventually advances their technology by finding a better way to kill prey they're hunting, or exploit their resources more efficiently. Selling does take two parties, but as soon as the notion of trade exists, somebody is hard at work finding a way to optimize the system to their benefit. That's what humans do...we're extraordinarily good at gaming the system to our own ends, whether that system be man-made, like economics, or universal like physics. I mean, look at the Alcubierre Drive...it's essentially trying to exploit some quirks in the math of the universe to do things we "shouldn't" be able to.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:16 pm »

Well art, music and literature being side effects is what I'm disagreeing with. The whole thing about technological advances coming about as more ways to kill people good = spot on. But there are always exceptions, much like with industrialism. Or Sparta.

Mmmm... Spartaaa...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »

Then what's agriculture? A fluke?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:28 pm »

Possibly. It lowered the quality of life of those who engaged in it for a long time, so it may well have been an infectious fluke, if ultimately one that paid off.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »

Possibly. It lowered the quality of life of those who engaged in it for a long time, so it may well have been an infectious fluke, if ultimately one that paid off.
Wait, what?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

Agriculture was the beginning of social stratification and inequality. It's hard to have that in hunter-gatherer bands since there isn't much to have in the first place, and what there is to have is usually abundant enough.

Furthermore, the hunter-gatherers moved from place to place while the agriculturalists stayed in one place, which created squalor that they had to live in. Not healthy. 
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2012, 01:12:18 pm »

Also, diversity of food* decreased, and food security** became a problem.

* There's a limited number of domesticated plants
**Pests and stuff
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13