Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"  (Read 26073 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NASA developing Warp Drive, "Alcubierre Drive"
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2012, 01:37:56 pm »

Unless of course the laser is strong enough to shove them out of the way.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2012, 03:38:24 pm »

I don't think any methods we have to detect space distortion work at faster that light...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2012, 06:30:15 pm »

Sending messenger ships back and forth, carrying information between locations. Sort of like how we had runners in the past to relay information, but in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
And name the organization managing all of that the Spacing Guild while we're at it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2012, 06:32:26 pm »

Sending messenger ships back and forth, carrying information between locations. Sort of like how we had runners in the past to relay information, but in spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.
And name the organization managing all of that the Spacing Guild while we're at it.
Could we call it the Space Post Office of Space?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2012, 06:41:41 pm »

Could we call it the Space Post Office of Space?
Needs more Space.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »

Needs more spice.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2012, 07:32:18 pm »

Now, if only I could fully quote here the list of public holidays that the Babylon 5 post office observed...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2012, 07:35:20 pm »

Needs more spice.
This. FTL travel can kill you without the stuff.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2012, 08:21:26 pm »

Needs more spice.

Hehe... speaking of which, the whole reason for the spice was to give Navigators the prescient vision needed to know the one trajectory that wouldn't warp your ship into any solid matter. When you're traveling at near-relativistic speeds, a pebble or cloud of dust will collide with you and generate enough heat and pressure to trigger explosions of plasma and nuclear fusion. And that's during the fraction of an instant that they completely slice through the ship, you, and everything else you're carrying.

However... since these are only moving on a 4D/Time Axis, and not in 3D Space, I wonder if this bubble of local space/time will repel other matter from outside. And if so, that has a whole 'nother set of awesome applications in things like force-fields, etc.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

What's your favorite thing about space? Mine is space

SPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACESPACE SPAAAAAAACE I like space do you like space?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2012, 04:45:31 am »

-snip-
-snip-
-snip-
You people are all being very silly. Obviously the only logical name for such an organization is the Space Pony Express. Or Robot Space Pony Express if they use drones.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2012, 05:21:34 am »

Needs more spice.

Hehe... speaking of which, the whole reason for the spice was to give Navigators the prescient vision needed to know the one trajectory that wouldn't warp your ship into any solid matter. When you're traveling at near-relativistic speeds, a pebble or cloud of dust will collide with you and generate enough heat and pressure to trigger explosions of plasma and nuclear fusion. And that's during the fraction of an instant that they completely slice through the ship, you, and everything else you're carrying.

However... since these are only moving on a 4D/Time Axis, and not in 3D Space, I wonder if this bubble of local space/time will repel other matter from outside. And if so, that has a whole 'nother set of awesome applications in things like force-fields, etc.
It won't repell it. It will rapidly compress it (turning it into plasma), then cool it down when it leaves on the other side. The fun fact is that neither the ship, nor the particle are moving at relativistic speed inside the bubble (Unless the particle collided at relativistic speeds). So yeah, it'd be just as dangerous as a vapourized micrometeroid.

Edit: For FTl communications, how about Quantum entanglement?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2012, 07:08:43 am »

Can't transfer classical information that way, sorry. Any attempt at modifying the system in a way that is measurable as a definite 'bit' on the other side will break the entanglement, since the particles have to be in thermodynamic equilibrium.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:22 am »

PTW, because FTL!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:40 am »

Need more space spice socks !!xXPig-Tail Fiber SockXx!!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13