Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: (TSG) A Sky and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-10  (Read 21699 times)

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-7
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2013, 12:14:21 pm »

Scold the creature! At the very least, try to make breathing more comfortable

Yes.
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: (ESG) A S░░ and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-8
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2013, 11:49:43 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Buildings slide quickly in and out of sight as the gargoyle carries you over the city. Occasionally a pedestrian looks up at the sky and sees you; which initiates another scare, but no one seems to be of the mind to try and help you. Which is probably for the better as you're pretty sure that any “help” that anyone could try to offer would most likely involve bullets and you turning into a pancake. Besides that, you're not sure whether the creature wants you alive or just as fresh as possible and it might decide that the best decision should any projectiles come your way is to use you as a shield.

You look up at the creature and glare at it.

It doesn't seem to be paying any attention to you and instead has its gaze focused on what you suppose must be its destination. You can't tell for sure, but it appears to be somewhere in the East side of town.

“Oy!” You yell and shift around, trying to get into a position where you can actually get enough air into your lungs to continue the outburst.  Eventually you manage to get yourself onto your side, whereupon you begin to awkwardly kick the shadow creature in what you assume are its shins.

“Bad gargoyle, BAD!” You yell while continuing to struggle. “I would totally be shaking my finger at you if you didn’t have my arms tied up right now.” You kick it in the shin a few more times. “You put me down this instant; do you want me to put you in time out? I’m warning you mister, you have till the count of three to stop terrorizing people and put me down or el-”

Suddenly the creature jerks into a sharp dive and you open your mouth to scream as the ground comes rushing up at you, but seemingly just before you make contact the creature pulls up and comes back down again softly in a parabola.

Having landed, the shadow gargoyle folds up its wings walks awkwardly over to the entrance of the building it landed in front of, dragging your feet over the ground and finally releases you.

You take in a sharp breath to refill your lungs and look up at the building. It appears to be a normal warehouse, like the others around it. The door is open slightly and inside you can see rows of pews leading up to an altar of some sort, matching the description Ankh had given of the strange church.
"Aright, now come in Miss Champion, we got things ta get started, see?"
Turning around, you try to leave, but the gargoyle blocks your path no matter which way you try to go. It seems to become impatient and nudges you toward the door with its oversized hand. You think it wants you to go inside.

You suppose you could try to jump past it or fight it in some way, but given how well your last two attempts went, you're not quite sure that it’ll turn out well.

What should you do?

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Long Term Goals (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Author's Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:32:53 am by Phantom of The Library »
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2013, 12:08:04 am »

What does ESG stand for?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:14 am »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 26, 2013, 10:27:00 pm »

Go inside. If there's anything menacing in there, brandish bacon sandwich threateningly!

Choo Choooooo! I kid, of course. Glad to see this is back.

Zecro_The_Scourge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2013, 02:05:21 am »

Go inside since we seemingly have no choice.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:07:06 am by Zecro_The_Scourge »
"Also I always figured you were like Tesla, only requiring two hours of sleep before going onto whatever you do"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

Go inside. But grumpily.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) A Sky and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-9
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »

“Alright, alright, I get the point.” You turn around and throw open the door before stomping in.

Tik.

Tik.

Tik.

Tik.

From inside the church comes the rhythmic, echoing click of something being repeatedly opened and closed. You examine your surroundings as you search for the source. The place seems to be deserted and a bit more run down than you imagined from Ankh’s description; about a third of the statues on either side are smashed and the pews are in various states of disrepair. Dust and the plaster powder from holes in the walls cover practically everything. The only clean thing in the building is the man sitting on the final pew on the right side, though he is a bit scruffy-looking.

Tik.

Tik.

Tik.

He seems rather relaxed with one hand lazily draped over the back of the pew and the other playing with a butterfly knife. The knife is the source of the clicking; giving off a slight tick every time he twirls it open and closed.

Tik.

Tik.

As you approach, he turns his head and you get a better look at his face. The first thing you notice and the most remarkable thing about him is his right eye which bears a heavy, straight scar stretching over it. The scar starts below his nose and travels straight up until it nearly touches the hairline. He has a rather squarish, unshaven face, slicked back hair, and a hooked nose, altogether the sort of looks that you would expect to see on someone who has too close a relationship with the wrong side of the law. The sort of look that implies a frequency of visitation similar to that which most people associate with annoying neighbors who bear a gap in their internal dictionary right where privacy is supposed to lay, or perhaps a dear relative lying on their deathbed.

Tik.

"Took ya long enough." He sighs and flicks his knife closed without turning around to face you fully. He speaks with a heavy accent, though you can't quite place where it’s from. "Sorry 'bout the rough ride, but I can't start the heist without ya and Tengu's already gotten started. Can't let 'im beat me, see?" He gestures with the knife-wielding hand and indicates that you should sit down.
You respond by waving the sandwich threateningly in his face.

He leans back, perplexed, and you move the sandwich closer. "Nuh-uh, sorry mister, but I am not taking part in any heist of any sort, especially after what your pet did to my house, do you realize how much those statues were worth!" He tries to move out of the way again, but you are merciless in your assault with your pork-and-wheat based weaponry.

He doesn't seem to know how to respond to this and blinks a few times before snarling: "Well I am sorry 'bout the statues; the darklings don't seem to like them much." He leans backward further in an attempt to avoid the sandwich. "And you're not part of the heist anyway, I just got ta give something to ya as per the contract, see?"

"Contract?"

"Yes, contract; get that thing away from me." He pushes the sandwich back. "And no you're not supposed ta know. The ancients get a clueless champion an' I get an army of shadow creatures in exchange for a part of myself. Old Laws and all that, see?" He waves his knife in the air; an act that in most situations would seem suave, but the awkwardness brought about by the sandwich-waving reduces the effect somewhat.

You look at him blankly for a moment, unclear on what he means. "...No?"

"Well, don't worry your pretty little head over it, miss. The less of that you do, easier it'll be for me to finish you off before you can do the same to me, see? Now, all you haves to do, see, is sit there and listen to me read off what's on this paper” He holds the paper up and flicks it, “And then I make with the shadow magic and you get a nice shiny present to take home."

You're nearly yanked off your feet as his shadow suddenly reaches up and grabs you by the ankle. You try to kick it off, but it quickly grabs the other leg and holds both to the ground. Axel scoots across the pew until he can stand up and his shadow makes you move your feet to face him.

"Ahem!" He clears his throat as he pulls a folded piece of paper out of his pocket. "Alright, here goes nothin': 'Champion of the Ancients, Guardian of Fire, Hero of Light,' note the capital letters on those miss, 'you have been summoned to ‘dis place to fulfill the contract as set up by the Old Laws, to be provided wit’ what information you can be and a means wit’ which to dispatch your opponent.'

That would be me, 'Your opponent has optioned for gaining minimal power in exchange for minimum information on your part, what can be informed of is as follows: Your opponent, Axel Oubliette, will gain the power to control beings from the realm of shadow known as darklings, new types being given at regular intervals over the course of four months, for whatever purpose he sees fit, as well as invulnerability to all normal weapons.

The opponent will not be able to directly attack or interfere wit’ you for a period of one-hundred and twenty-eight days during which time you will attempt to find a way to defeat him using the weapon provided by the opponent. The type of weapon given will depend on which part of him/herself the opponent gives up. The weapon by itself will be insufficient to defeat the opponent and must be completed or supplemented in some fashion.'"

He finished with a sniff and stuffed the paper back into his pocket. 

"Now, if you don't mind miss, I'll be startin' the ceremony." He walks around you and up to the crumbled ruins of the altar. He stops for a moment.

Then he begins to speak.

Only his voice does not come. Instead out from his throat comes a hissing, crackling sound like the static from a radio interplayed over the hiss from a phonograph and magnified a dozen times.

░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░

He spreads his arms out ceremoniously and looks up and the ceiling. You look up as well. Through the holes you can see the sky above. Dark clouds have gathered, obscuring the sun and releasing a few small droplets of water back down to the earth. You're not sure what, but there's something off about it. It's like the entirety of the sky is shifting in and out of focus.

░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░  ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░

Axel places his hand on his scarred eye. He winces slightly, as if in pain and a bright light begins to shine from beneath his hand. He slowly removes it revealing a brightly glowing sphere that clings to his palm. You notice that his eyelid seems to be sunken in now. He closes his hand partially around it and the air in the room seems to become tighter somehow.

░░░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░  ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░

Tendrils of shadow wrap around the light in his hand cocooning it and muffling it. Every instinct you have is telling you to run, but the grip of Axel's shadow is as strong as ever and it seems to be steadily growing darker, to where it’s more like looking into a deep pit than a shadow. Axel himself seems to be caught up in a trance as his hissing grows louder and he begins to make large gestures with the arm that isn't holding the shadow orb.

░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░ ░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░ ░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░░░ ░░░░░ ░░░░ ░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░

The air shifts.

All the tension that had been building seems to relax all at once, its absence somehow more noticeable than the slow buildup.

The shadow beneath Axel's feet begins to boil and suddenly shoots up, releasing your feet. It tears through the ceiling and rockets up into the sky. You cover your eyes as boards and plaster fall down around you. None hitting you luckily.

After the rain of boards is finished, you look up into the sky again and at first all seems normal. Then your eyes catch a strange shimmer.

Shakily, as if something is holding it back and with painstaking slowness, a large slit begins to open spreading from one horizon to the other. The sight reminds you of a gigantic sleepy eye opening.
It stops and seems to collapse in on itself for a moment, then flings open again until it takes up nearly an eighth of the sky above. It looks like some colossal beast has torn the sky open like it was no more than a large door and left it sit ajar.

As you gaze up at it, it seems to fall down to meet you and you can see stars within, thousands of them. They seem to gently shift around and blink out now and then, beautiful and somehow sinister.

No...

Those aren't stars.

They're eyes. Thousands of pairs of eyes opening and closing as their owners shift position. Thousands of pairs of eyes that are coming closer and closer as their owners drop down from the sky. Thousands of pairs of eyes paired with thousands of red glowing mouths attached to comically large heads.

"Ahem."

You seem to fall back to earth with a thud, losing your balance and falling to the floor. You look up to see Axel standing there tapping his foot impatiently, dark tendrils swirling around his hand. He opens his hand and throws the orb within in front of you. The shadows disintegrate, revealing a triangle-shaped object made of light that quickly grows and changes shape until there is a sheathed dagger laying there.

"Well there ya go miss. Ya can only unsheath it four times, so I wouldn't be brandishing it around everywhere if I were you." He hisses toward the door: ░░░░ And the darkling shambles in the through the door, then glides to his side. It hisses and smashes an already broken piece of statue when it lands.

Axel taps his foot. In response, plaster and dust swirl away in a cyclone around his feet and he slowly lifts up into the air, hands in pockets.

"I would wish you best of luck miss, but that would mean bad luck on my part, so instead I hope you trip and break yer neck." He lets out a hoarse laugh and flies away, shadow gargoyle close behind.

You watch as he quickly disappears from sight.

Well, now what?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »

M-my god... it's alive! IT'S ALIVE!

That said, I don't really know what to do. Go home and inspect our new possession, I suppose.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2014, 09:11:15 pm »

Aw yiss. Glad to see it's back.

Verify we are not dreaming. Assuming we don't wake up, then head to the library and search for any clues about this strange contest. Keywords: Old Laws, Champion of the Ancients, Guardian of Fire, Hero of Light. Don't be afraid to ask the reference librarian for help! If we're gonna play the game, we've gotta know the rules.

Oh, and inspect fancy new dagger without drawing it. Hopefully it came with a user manual or something.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »

Freak out! Freak right out!
Deadly shadow creatures and ancient static chanting rituals and Champions and (air and fire???) and obviously dangerous criminals and THOUSANDS OF EYES IN THE SKY THIS IS STRANGE AND NOT GOOD!

Then, check on our friends. Given all the calamity, they were probably affected in some way, right? Right?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2014, 07:38:27 am »

The best thing about short resurrected threads is that there's not much to reread before you're completely informed.

Aw yiss. Glad to see it's back.

Verify we are not dreaming. Assuming we don't wake up, then head to the library and search for any clues about this strange contest. Keywords: Old Laws, Champion of the Ancients, Guardian of Fire, Hero of Light. Don't be afraid to ask the reference librarian for help! If we're gonna play the game, we've gotta know the rules.

Oh, and inspect fancy new dagger without drawing it. Hopefully it came with a user manual or something.

This seems like a good idea. Let's be unusually sensible with this. Although something does tell me that the Old Laws are probably reasonably ancient, and thus probably written in an awfully unreadable form.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) A Sky and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-10
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2014, 10:30:14 pm »

You take a few deep breaths in and out. Okay, okay let's ignore the gigantic tear in the sky for a moment and determine if you are in fact, awake. You stash the chisel and sandwich in your pockets.

You start your attempts at validating your lucidity by attempting to push a finger through your palm.

Nope, solid. You then move on to counting your fingers and of course the tried and true pinching. After you run through the gamut of tests, you decide conclusively that you are, in fact, awake. Not time to freak out yet though.

With awareness tests completed you decide to examine the knife.

The handle is notably featureless- just a plain and functional piece of orange-brown metal (some sort of copper alloy if you had to place a guess) that seems easy enough to grip and is just rough enough to where you shouldn't have any problems keeping hold of it.

The blade is concealed, and you don't want to use up any of your unsheathings so you try to gather what information you can from what you can see. Unless the sheath is VERY thick, it appears to be large and triangular, about the size and shape of your hand. It's strangely light for its size. You don't expect it to fly away in the wind anytime soon, but it probably weighs less than the chisel you've been carrying around.

The sheath is made of dark brown leather, nice and sturdy, and is much more detailed than the handle. There are four red gems set into the middle on both sides that occasionally give off a glow; you're sure that there's a reason for when the glow happens, but you can't pin down what it is. You'll probably have to experiment a bit to determine. Surrounding the gems and covering the rest of the sheath is a bunch of small holes arranged in rectangles, a bit like braille, but more dense. You're pretty sure that it's some sort of awfully unreadable ancient language. That would be just typical for this sort of thing.

With the knife examined, you make a quick plan in your head: First you'll hop over to the library and see if you can't conjure up and answers about this confusing contest you seem to have been entered in without your consent.  Afterwards you'll check up on your friends and assuming that nothing is wrong, head back home and see if there's anything there that can help you examine this thing more closely.

As you leave the church for the library, you examine your surroundings. You must have been more absorbed in examining the knife than you thought, people are already starting to wind down. There's a small group gathered outside of the police station and a couple people gathered in the streets still staring up at the tear in the sky. It's an ominous addition to the scenery and inescapable as it stretches from horizon to horizon. Still not time to freak out, you've got places to go and books to check out.

You enter the library The librarian seems to be oblivious to any goings-on outside and is preoccupied with something behind the counter in front of him.

“Noisy out today isn't it?” You address him, walking up to the front desk.

“Yes, indeed.” The librarian says grumpily, looking down at you over his glasses. “May I help you?”

“I was looking for books over a certain subject. Would you happen to have anything about the subjects: Old Laws, Champion of the Ancients, Guardian of Fire, Hero of Light?”

“Ah, you'd be looking for a Vules Jerne novel then, fiction section.” He points back with his thumb.

“No, I'm looking for non-fiction.”

“Hmm, well then. Just a moment.” He turns around to a contraption behind him. Taking a card from a pile next to it, he punches out a pattern of holes and feeds it into the machine. The machine shudders for a few seconds and then sputters out.

The librarian hits it a few times muttering something about blasted new-fangled machines and how things were so much better when they had to do everything manually and the things never work properly and you have to reinstall the gears every three months or else the whole thing starts giving you nothing but references to photo collections of Sir Nicholas of Caje. He continues on like this for a while before the machine finally begins to shudder back to life.

A short while later it spits out another card covered in punch-holes. He looks over it for a moment and then looks back to you.

“I'm afraid that we don't have anything on any of those. We have a couple of books on old laws, but none on Old Laws with capitals and the rest got no results. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

You think on it for a moment and then carefully show him the dagger's sheath, with the dagger still inside of course. “What about this?”

“Oh, now that I recognize. I can't translate it myself, but I do have a friend in Sportagul who's obsessed with it.” He tears off a corner of paper and scribbles something on it. “I'll give you his address and you can ask him about it.”

He turns around to hand the paper to you, but freezes part-way, his jaw slowly moving up and down.

You slowly turn around to look.

Pressed up against the library window are three darklings.

Freak out! Freak right out!

You calmly decide that now is precisely the time for that and immediately scrambled over the counter to hide with the librarian. After you finish clumsily scurrying over, you peek your head up above the counter and see that the darklings are getting ready to bust through the window. Any second they will bust through and tear you to pieces. It is only a matter of-

"MEEP MEEP"

Without warning, like a badly timed comedy skit, a police vehicle rides by and scrapes the darklings off the window before careening off to crash into another building.

What now?

Spoiler: Short Term Goals (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:42:40 pm by Phantom of The Library »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) A Sky and ░░░░░ Torn Ajar: Chapter 0-10
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2015, 09:25:32 pm »

Hm. I don't know as the darklings can attack us (if they can, then Axle is a real jerk) but it might not be great if they just kill everyone around us constantly.

Grab the address from the librarian and sneak out the back, keeping away from any darklings. Supposedly the darklings can't be killed by conventional weapons, so the police vehicle probably didn't finish them off.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]