Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rocks and Stones  (Read 497 times)

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocks and Stones
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:28:00 pm »

So what is the difference between rock and stone?  I don't recall ever mining "stone" which means it is going by the mineral name, right?  Is stone better than rock in general in providing happiness (assuming it isn't corresponding to an individual preference)?  Basically I'm interested in what minerals are light stone, which are dark stone, and what differences there are besides being able to make short swords from dark stone.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Rocks and Stones
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:56:00 pm »

Well the technical differences are non-existant. A 'stone' is just another term for an individual rock, and a rock is any naturally occuring aggregate of minerals. But I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for.  ;)

There aren't very many light/dark stone types. I don't think it's too spoily to take a look at matgloss_stone.txt in the /raw/objects/ directory to see. Three of each type, and the rest is ordinary rock.

I'm almost certain that stone crafts, if their quality is the same, go for more if they're light/dark. Dwarves also seem to generate liking dark/light stone types more often, just like they like the rarer gems more often than the ordinary ornamental stuff. Or that's what it seems like to me.

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:00 pm »

Of course, you might want to avoid making crafts out of dark stone so you don't use up valuable obsidian that could be used to make swords.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:46:00 pm »

And white limestone is needed as part of the process to make steel.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One