Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I covered the DF title menu song, opinions?  (Read 1780 times)

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
I covered the DF title menu song, opinions?
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »

I do apologize for the horrible quality.
Just imagine the sound is in ASCII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h2uJl_MT2Q
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: I covered the DF title menu song, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 03:43:18 pm »

The horrible recording quality is interesting. The distortions form some sort of crude beat, I kind of like it.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:59:06 pm »

Aside from the audio quality, which I think has some charm of its own, I find it hard to distinguish from the original except in a few ways.

Since this is a musical thread and this is something I'm curious about, would anyone with The Book Learning in music care to elucidate the formal qualities of the default DF sound track? I recently started playing after a long absence, and have just come to realize how much I love it (and would how much I would like to hear more music with similar qualities).
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:13 pm »

Aside from the audio quality, which I think has some charm of its own, I find it hard to distinguish from the original except in a few ways.

Since this is a musical thread and this is something I'm curious about, would anyone with The Book Learning in music care to elucidate the formal qualities of the default DF sound track? I recently started playing after a long absence, and have just come to realize how much I love it (and would how much I would like to hear more music with similar qualities).

It's more of a 'For Armok's sake, I can finally play it + it's the first on Youtube' than me giving it a personal twist.
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:45 pm »

It's more of a 'For Armok's sake, I can finally play it + it's the first on Youtube' than me giving it a personal twist.

That's about what I figured. I don't play the guitar, but I hear it takes a lot of effort just to deliberately develop callouses, so I take it as an accomplishment.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Gavakis

• Bay Watcher
  • some loser meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

If you got a better recorder, id love to see more!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:51 pm »

Well, it's almost all arpeggiated chords; here's the first few for the in-game song (played with capo on second fret, so transpose all these two half-steps to sound correct):

F#7 b2 add13\B (yes, really)
Asus4
A
repeat

C\E

E7\B
E7sus4\B
repeat

Am (arpeggiated C6) transitions into
Amadd9 (arpeggiate Cmaj7) transitions into
G#aug (arpeggiate C)

there's a lot of them.

I have a few recordings lying around for it, let's see if I can dig them up...

Here's one of me with the game song.
and here's one of me with the title song.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:26:30 pm by Putnam »

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:34:14 am »

If you got a better recorder, id love to see more!

Haha, it's the only somewhat advanced song I can play so far, been playing the guitarro for only 2 years so far and just started on the 'real deal' music :)
Currently practising on the DF Dwarf Mode theme, though.

That's about what I figured. I don't play the guitar, but I hear it takes a lot of effort just to deliberately develop callouses, so I take it as an accomplishment.

I do have those, and mainly thanks to this song as I'm addicted to playing it. Finish playing > Do it once more because it's a nice tune.

@Putnam: Might want to tune your guitar on those recordings, although you definitely play nice!
Also, I have no idea what you mean with all these chords, all I can do is read sheet music and play songs until they sound right or until my fingers come off.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:38:23 am by Snateraar »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 11:06:26 am »

I recommend learning chords a lot! I learned them by joining a jazz band and wikipedia, but the title theme's chords are fairly easy to name: (song is played with capo on fourth fret)

Bdim7add11
Am
F#m6
E minor (all chords are based on this one for whole song)
C/E
Emin
C/E
Em...
Em add #4
Em
Em add #4
E
Emadd#4
E
Em
F#7 (not that similar to Em like the rest are)
E

Repeat these two until fadeout:
G6
Em

(G6 is Em with a root of G)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:08:20 am by Putnam »

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »

And thus begins Dwarf Fortress:The Album.