Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [Development] A new webbased 3D visualizer  (Read 3857 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [Development] A new webbased 3D visualizer
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:05 pm »

It's not a direct DF mod, but at the same time, there's no section for utilities.

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »

This is fantastic! Doing this web-based is a great idea. It would be ridiculously cool if this could somehow be integrated with DFMA.  :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 03:12:58 pm »

Best thing since sliced bread. +1 for GCS.

Ziao

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 04:56:20 pm »

First of all: Thanks everybody for your kind replies :D

Giant Cave Spider (GCS), since it's web-based.

I guess I don't have much of a choice. Everyone seems to love this name! I'll leave the name undecided until I actually go live with it, but it feels like it's not much of a contest anymore :p
I came up with Brewfish, where fish is a mutation of vis(ualizer) and brewing is, obviously, dwarfenly. I'm not so sure if I actually like it though.

But anyway,even though it work's,that's a pretty basic mapper,maybe in the future you can get some designers to actually improve it?

At the moment I'm just fleshing out the engine and preparing a solid base on which to build the thing. The tiles you see rendered are in no way final. The trees for example are all the same and contain only a few polygons. The textures I blatantly stole from google images and the lights/shadows are not at all pleasant to look at.
Don't worry, I'll get it to look better ;)

This is fantastic! Doing this web-based is a great idea. It would be ridiculously cool if this could somehow be integrated with DFMA.  :D

That would be awesome! However I believe DFMA uses a different export format that is completely incompatible with the mapexport tool found in dfhack. Correct me if I'm wrong, I have done close to 0 research into this.

Thanks again and I should have more impressive screenshots up by this weekend!

thewonderidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 06:09:58 pm »

That would be awesome! However I believe DFMA uses a different export format that is completely incompatible with the mapexport tool found in dfhack. Correct me if I'm wrong, I have done close to 0 research into this.

I know for a fact it does -- I wrote mapexport.  ;) (Sorry for the incompleteness, I was adding things to it as I added them to my visualizer.  ::))

Haven't used DFMA myself though. Just briefly looking at it, it looks like it's just a fancy image viewer though, that uses images exported from fortress mode -- no actual geometry information. :-\ Ah well, this is still super cool!

...maybe if we write an image processing program that pulls out tile shape, color, and context and tries to back out the necessary info...

EDIT: By the way, the format put out by mapexport was very much a work in progress, and I'm still not happy with it. If you have any suggestions for changes to it, feel free to ping me about it or just make them yourself!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:14:23 pm by thewonderidiot »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 11:24:31 pm »

Still sane Ziao?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 01:21:28 am »

This is looking good.  Posting to watch!
At last, she is done.
Pages: 1 [2]