Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tantrum spiral prevention - figured it out  (Read 4791 times)

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum spiral prevention - figured it out
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:35 am »

I've found an incredibly simple method to successfully prevent most tantrum spirals.
If you run the rest of the fort properly, this method can easily make your industries run smoothly while getting dozens of dwarves killed.

The big evil source of all tantrum:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In my fortresses it is the other way around. Meeting halls (combined with dining halls and a personal 3x3 room for everyone) are the things that prevent Tantrum spirals from happening. At all. I'm playing DF for a few years now and I NEVER EVER had a tantrum spiral. That said, three essential things I have in every fort are:

Meeting hall, often decorated with statues. When I train my smelters I usually process raw ore in masses, if there are valuables amongst them (like gold or silver) the meeting hall gets floored with it.
Dining hall, often with tables and seating for 90+ dwarfes. Simply entering the room causes a huge happiness rise because of all the furniture (90+ tables and seats, surplus statues and maybe gold floor plating)
Personal 3x3 room for everyone, simple, with a bed, coffer and cabin. Also reduces the amount of XXstuffXX lying around a lot.

And thats it. These three things make dwarfes so happy that they ignore half the fortess and all of their family dying.

That said, meeting halls can be huge tantrum spiral preventers if correctly utilised ;)

I'm with you. Can't remember the last time I had a tantrum spiral -- maybe 20 or 30 forts ago. I always make a dining hall, smoothed and engraved, with high-quality tables, chairs, and statues. I give each dwarf a nice 3x3 bedroom, usually smoothed but not engraved, with a quality bed, door, and cabinet. Always build 2 or 3 statue gardens and a high-quality well for them to hang out at. Always build paved roads with good (like marble) to high-quality (like gold or platinum) material. I don't like the idea of keeping them isolated.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]