Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tantrum spiral prevention - figured it out  (Read 4811 times)

minecartnage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tantrum spiral prevention - figured it out
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:11 pm »

I've found an incredibly simple method to successfully prevent most tantrum spirals.
If you run the rest of the fort properly, this method can easily make your industries run smoothly while getting dozens of dwarves killed.

The big evil source of all tantrum:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I must say that sometimes tantrum spirals feel unfair. My last fort that had meeting halls was built in dozens of hours of flawless gameplay until grandpa Urist died of old age and sent the fortress down a tantrum spiral...

Though doing this makes the game too easy... dwarves get killed an nobody cares.
Oh well at least I can focus on megaprojects and science now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 02:09:24 pm by minecartnage »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Tantrum spiral prevention - figured it out
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 02:11:41 pm »

They do more than make frineds at these areas... this isnt foolproof...

Why would you want healthy, sane dwarfs?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:09:35 pm »

Because spending 500 hours on a fort just to have Urist McCheesemaker's family die to destroy the whole fort is not cool man,its not!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »

Because spending 500 hours on a fort just to have Urist McCheesemaker's family die to destroy the whole fort is not cool man,its not!

Hell yeah it is.  What's not hilarious about a fortress drowning in its own rage because Urist McGrandpa stubbed his toe and died of infection, his family went a little overboard with the mourning, and everybody else rioted over the property damage?  The clean-up afterward?  That's cool too, you get to play fortress reclaim without having to go through loading and embark that crash most of the time anyway.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

TheZoomZoll

• Bay Watcher
  • Total Scumbag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »

Hell yeah it is.  What's not hilarious about a fortress drowning in its own rage because Urist McGrandpa stubbed his toe and died of infection, his family went a little overboard with the mourning, and everybody else rioted over the property damage?  The clean-up afterward?  That's cool too, you get to play fortress reclaim without having to go through loading and embark that crash most of the time anyway.

BUT THE SENTIMENTAL VALUE  :'( IT IS ALL LOST

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:29:45 pm »

Toady has said only a few days ago he's working on retiring forts. . . if its that important to keep your dwarves alive and still quit.

Think of all the mega-mega-projects one could do!  A channel from one ocean to another, A truely giant statue!  A minetrack that acts like a dwarven train (of death).
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »

Ocean channel: The dwarven populace slowly shifts from one coast to the other due to migration? (But the waters would never actually meet... and even then you'd need trickery.)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:56:33 pm »

I was indeed pondering this.  I imagine you dig a 3x2 channel that goes from Ocean A to Ocean B.

The minetracks would be much harder, at least on the surface.

There is also the matter of how exactly regions combine.  If I settle adjacent regions C snd D, do they overlap (probly not), sit 'nut-to-butt (perfectly adjacent), or is there some kind of buffer, list land or freeman's land?  I'd imagine in a perfect grid its perfect adjacency, but I've not seen proof to that yet.

Still, my mind can see it, and it excites me.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:15:16 pm »

No dining hall = no happy thoughts to have eaten in a legendary dining hall.

I'll give you a tip on tantrum damage control; isolate the affected individuals. I've placed 2400 doors so far in my Fort, a decision I have not regretted. Yet.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »

Make a corridor fort. The largest rooms are the Siege Workshop and Trade Depot. Stockpiles are linear. No room to interact = no tantrum spirals! Ha!
My wooden badge was delicious.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:41 pm »

Protip: Simply not having Meeting Halls doesn't prevent Dwarves from socializing; it merely prevents PARTIES.

I've run many forts with no meeting halls to prevent parties and keep productivity up; it did not prevent tantrum spirals what-so-ever. If anything, it made them worse because there was no LEGENDARY MEETING HALL for them to get happy thoughts from.

Jase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »

Dwarves are always the cause of tantrum spirals. Having only one dwarf schould solve this problem  :P
(Maybe an interesting idea for a challenge: One-Dwarf-Challange. Everything have to be done with only one dwarf, all others must be killed as soon as possible.)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:54 pm »

Protip: Simply not having Meeting Halls doesn't prevent Dwarves from socializing; it merely prevents PARTIES.

I've run many forts with no meeting halls to prevent parties and keep productivity up; it did not prevent tantrum spirals what-so-ever. If anything, it made them worse because there was no LEGENDARY MEETING HALL for them to get happy thoughts from.

I agree, stacking happy thoughts, also from socializing, prevents tantrum spirals. I had dwarfs still ecstatic after losing 3 relatives in short order.

If you just want to prevent parties you can designate meeting areas from slabs, they don't seem to party there.

If you have a legendary dining room the dwarfs will get happy thoughts from eating there even if it is not designated as a dining room.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:57:40 pm »

Dwarves are always the cause of tantrum spirals. Having only one dwarf schould solve this problem  :P
(Maybe an interesting idea for a challenge: One-Dwarf-Challange. Everything have to be done with only one dwarf, all others must be killed as soon as possible.)

Exists already, look up "Hermit Challenge"
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 11:16:17 pm »

Another way to look at it is that with only one dwarf, every tantrum is a tantrum spiral, but they always stop after one tantrum-related death.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.
Pages: [1] 2 3