Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one play as an elf?  (Read 1341 times)

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does one play as an elf?
« on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:36 am »

In this playthrough, I'm trying to go as fast as reasonably possible. That means starting as an elf. I've had no trouble finding weaponsmiths for decent weapons. However, I'm a bit stumped as to what to start out with in terms of skills. Currently, I've been doing
Superior strength
Superior Agility
Superior Toughness
High Endurance
Very Low Creativity, Intuition, Patience, Linguistic Ability and Musicality.
As attributes, and the wiki's recommended starting skills as skills, picking swordsman as my weapon skill.
So.
a) What starting weapon skill should I go for? The options are sword, bow and spear. I don't really want to do bowman as arrows are too damn heavy for a fast character. I would guess sword, but I suppose I'd ask anyways.
b) Can elves become necromancers? If not, then I'll skip the points on reading.
c) Where do I find fitting armor?
d) Does vampirism, lycanthropy or ...huskism make you go faster? Which the most so?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does one play as an elf?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 07:55:49 am »

a) I'd go with swords. There's always the risk of running out of arrows, so I'd definitely stick to melee weapons. You'll start with a wooden sword which is pretty crappy, try to find an iron or steel one ASAP.
b) No AFAIK.
c) You'll have to kill goblins and find some in lairs since you can't use human sized armor. Lairs are also the only way to get steel weapons and armor currently, as there are no dwarfs sites right now.
d) Vampirisim gives you an attribute boost BUT it also locks your attributes so I would avoid becoming a vampire early on. Not sure if elfs can become vampires actually. To get really fast you should get your swimming skill to legendary, this will raise your agility and let you walk pretty fast.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 08:45:28 am »

a) I'd go with swords. There's always the risk of running out of arrows, so I'd definitely stick to melee weapons. You'll start with a wooden sword which is pretty crappy, try to find an iron or steel one ASAP.
b) No AFAIK.
c) You'll have to kill goblins and find some in lairs since you can't use human sized armor. Lairs are also the only way to get steel weapons and armor currently, as there are no dwarfs sites right now.
d) Vampirisim gives you an attribute boost BUT it also locks your attributes so I would avoid becoming a vampire early on. Not sure if elfs can become vampires actually. To get really fast you should get your swimming skill to legendary, this will raise your agility and let you walk pretty fast.
Elves can become vampires, I've found. Thanks for the tip on swimming, it's easy to level and should help a lot.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 04:40:09 pm »

Actually, my best Elf was a master wrestler that just grabbed goblin and human throats in both arms and throttled them to death. He also kicked off a lions tail. That was a hilarious playthrough.

But if you're playing with weapons, remember to search for a better one ASAP (ideally at a fortress).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 04:47:22 pm »

Choking is pretty much overpowered, yeah.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 05:42:12 pm »

Actually, my best Elf was a master wrestler that just grabbed goblin and human throats in both arms and throttled them to death. He also kicked off a lions tail. That was a hilarious playthrough.

But if you're playing with weapons, remember to search for a better one ASAP (ideally at a fortress).
Weapons = weight
And wrestling is amazing if you're faster than your enemy.  Grab their weapon, throw it at them.  Or just go for the choke, knock them out, and move on.  Then stab them with a weapon one of them dropped.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:25:11 pm »

I'm trying to avoid the mindless choking-abuse that I've used on quite a few characters. You don't do as well when you end up having to fight a bronze collosus. :P

But yeah, thanks for all the advice!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31:24 pm »

I'm trying to avoid the mindless choking-abuse that I've used on quite a few characters. You don't do as well when you end up having to fight a bronze collosus. :P

But yeah, thanks for all the advice!
Better way to say thank you: Keep us posted on your adventure!  :D

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Scootagoose

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill them before I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 09:48:49 pm »

Elves with bows can be quite OP
Unf.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 10:39:22 pm »

Elves with bows can be quite OP
Yeah, he's going for speed though.  The arrows would weigh him down.