Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: INVADE EARTH  (Read 13394 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: INVADE EARTH
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

Dr. Device isn't a good mining tool. Also, mind explaining again why the Moon wouldn't work to mine? A cloud of dust or whatever is left after your...intensive mining techniques would still orbit the Earth.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear no man, and trust no wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »

Dr. Device isn't a good mining tool. Also, mind explaining again why the Moon wouldn't work to mine? A cloud of dust or whatever is left after your...intensive mining techniques would still orbit the Earth.

That much matter collapsing on itself leaves a huge gap in the area, needing something to fill it. Earth would gravitate toward it, knocking it out of it's orbit, and killing everyone and everything on it from the stress. Even without that, a lack of a moon would leave Earth without tides, and the following surfer revolt would upset the delicate balance between Dude and Sir. Leaving the world in total anarchy. And, barring either of those, I'll just pretend that the lack of waves would set off a ton of volcanoes and send Earth into another Ice Age.

((Playing fast and loose with physics, social dynamics, hydrodynamics, and plate tectonics.  Aw yeah.))

But badly made jokes aside, the mission is to conquer Earth. So Earth shall be glassed, mined, and destroyed. Then I will lie to myself and say they are the same thing. Or I'll roll a one and my death weapons will blow my shiny new fleet apart.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:24:07 pm by Onyxjew944 »
Greater Collection
Quote from: Steel Resolve
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!
They told me to aim higher, so we dug deeper.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:11 pm »

(How do you do a signature under your post?)
I liked this quote a lot.
((Playing fast and loose with physics, social dynamics, hydrodynamics, and plate tectonics.  Aw yeah.))

EDIT: Figured out, had to go to forum profile.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:11:55 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »

(How do you do a signature under your post?)
I liked this quote a lot.

I think you just copy/paste it exactly as is, so remove the quotes from the below:

["quote author=Onyxjew944 link=topic=119969.msg3854812#msg3854812 date=1354843322"]
["/quote"]

Greater Collection
I shall be ready! My head is full of disturbing but useful information. And all it cost me was my peace of mind and sanity. A bargain!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »

That much matter collapsing on itself leaves a huge gap in the area, needing something to fill it. Earth would gravitate toward it, knocking it out of it's orbit, and killing everyone and everything on it from the stress. Even without that, a lack of a moon would leave Earth without tides, and the following surfer revolt would upset the delicate balance between Dude and Sir. Leaving the world in total anarchy. And, barring either of those, I'll just pretend that the lack of waves would set off a ton of volcanoes and send Earth into another Ice Age.

Um, yeah. Sorry to use real science here, but...
The Moon's remains would still provide gravity, and loss of tides wouldn't be that bad. A few species would go extinct, but there's plenty of species not dependent on tides to replace them.

But badly made jokes aside, the mission is to conquer Earth. So Earth shall be glassed, mined, and destroyed. Then I will lie to myself and say they are the same thing. Or I'll roll a one and my death weapons will blow my shiny new fleet apart.
Support me instead, and mine the Moon
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2012, 09:22:12 pm »

Um, yeah. Sorry to use real science here, but...
The Moon's remains would still provide gravity, and loss of tides wouldn't be that bad. A few species would go extinct, but there's plenty of species not dependent on tides to replace them.

Support me instead, and mine the Moon

[Counterargument: 3+1]

Onyxjew944 has an epiphany!

This is exactly why I didn't want real science! But anyway, I mainly used that concept as justification for destroying the planet.

At the risk of sounding churlish, why, exactly, should I support you? I have a full armada of war cruisers, fully equipped with heavy orbital artillery, sitting in low-Earth orbit at my beck and call. I am on board the flagship. Hand hovering mere inches over the small, black, Weapons-Free button. Fully prepared to kill you, and every other living thing on the planet. With zero cost to me.

What, exactly, would I get from not cleansing the Human Equation from the universe?

The above sentences are why I use gifs; articulating my imagined power tends to lead to three concepts emerging, moderately dangerous, and occasionally shameful, in combination:
Megalomania
Poetic Imagery
Logic
Greater Collection

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2012, 09:26:16 pm »

Simple. I have as much of an empire and fleet behind me as you do. The difference is, I'm not using it at the moment. The theory is a union of empires, not a union of an army and a strike force. Besides, let me turn it around...

What do you get by destroying people?
Sig

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2012, 09:32:45 pm »

Resources.
A planet.
Satisfaction.

Still, I'm not much of an Emperor. I'm more of a marauding warlord savaging civilizations as I see fit to improve my own standing. An impulse-driven moron with little desire beyond immediate gratification. </character description>

But because this RTD is proving to be fun. I think I'll let it continue, without an apocalypse.
Greater Collection

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2012, 09:34:02 pm »

I like how this has degenerated into an argument over blowing up the moon, or earth.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2012, 09:35:21 pm »

I like how this has degenerated into an argument over blowing up the moon, or earth.

I LIKE HOW I'M BACK IN CAPSLOCK.
Greater Collection

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2012, 09:37:43 pm »

Resources.
A planet.
Satisfaction.
You can get resources elsewhere, a planet's not worth much if you've bombed it sterile, and satisfaction isn't worth much.

Still, I'm not much of an Emperor. I'm more of a marauding warlord savaging civilizations as I see fit to improve my own standing. An impulse-driven moron with little desire beyond immediate gratification. </character description>
I'm not an emperor either. I'm a talented officer in an empire. Doesn't mean I can't try some preliminary diplomacy. Communication is limited to ships or light, after all.

But because this RTD is proving to be fun. I think I'll let it continue, without an apocalypse.
Thanks.

I still maintain that blowing up a body is a terribly inefficient method of mining, but my character has learned better than to reason with nuts. He's had a lot of them as COs.
Sig

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:29 am »

I still maintain that blowing up a body is a terribly inefficient method of mining, but my character has learned better than to reason with nuts. He's had a lot of them as COs.

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK.
Greater Collection

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »

Conquer earth anyway.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »

You know, the moon suddenly going poof might have a significant influence on Earth's geological system.

Also, a destroyed moon will either reform(and what's the point in blowing something up if it's still there 2 [approriate time period] later, or it will deorbit).

Onyxjew944

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 03:35:09 pm »

You know, the moon suddenly going poof might have a significant influence on Earth's geological system.

Also, a destroyed moon will either reform(and what's the point in blowing something up if it's still there 2 [approriate time period] later, or it will deorbit).

Hint. It can't reform, BECAUSE I'M FUCKING MINING IT. THAT WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THAT DISCUSSION. I WANT RESOURCES.
Greater Collection
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]