Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Liberal, really?  (Read 2244 times)

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Liberal, really?
« on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »

Considering that the game takes an anarcho-libertarian view to how the player treats society, why should the game use our contemporary, left-wing policies of government regulation, such as the in-game Elite-liberal gun laws totally restricting firearms sale and such, as how the game should be completed?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Liberal, really?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 02:01:17 pm »

I would imagine because the game's designer needed to base the game on something that was relatively easy to grasp and yet still allowed for ample amounts of !!Fun!! and balance tweaking.

In short I suppose its not a philosophical or ideological piece but a game that puts forth a distinct view on good and evil in the political system(s).

But then again I've not played, just read the threads pondered the some as to the purpose of the game. . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »

I'm not sure where you're getting anarcho-libertarian from. There's nothing libertarian about LCS.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 02:03:22 pm »

Because it's satire, I suppose. I mean, the logic of site actions is totally against conventional notions of sociology as well. Why not complain about being able to turn the public against the death penalty by stealing from the police station?

Alpha Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 02:09:13 pm »

I'm not sure where you're getting anarcho-libertarian from. There's nothing libertarian about LCS.

You mean Kurt Krieger is not living in the fast lane of life? Stealing cars, screwing girls, shooting cops, and generally being uncontrolled?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:33 pm »

You mean Kurt Krieger is not living in the fast lane of life? Stealing cars, screwing girls, shooting cops, and generally being uncontrolled?

That's LCS political activism for you.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:35:55 am »

I honestly can't say what Toady One and/or ThreeToe were thinking when they came up with the game, but one interesting note to this line of questioning is that LCS is directly inspired by the Symbionese Liberation Army (or as they were parodied in the card game Illuminati, the "Semiconscious Liberation Army") of the 70s.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 02:38:29 pm »

Yeah, it is quite clear if you look at the literature the SLA produced, and the actions that they carried out that the game is a good fit:

"The name 'symbionese' is taken from the word 'symbiosis' and we define its meaning as a body of dissimilar bodies and organisms living in deep and loving harmony and partnership in the best interest of all within the body."... His seven-headed SLA cobra symbol was based on the seven principles of Kwanzaa, with each head representing a principle. The Swahili words for these seven principles are: Umoja (Unity), Kujichagulia (self-determination), Ujima (collective work and responsibility), Ujamaa (cooperative economics), Nia (purpose), Kuumba (creativity) and Imani (faith).

And they modeled themselves after the Tupamaros, who were a Communist Guerrilla group in Uruguay, plus drawing ideas from Maoism. With those influences and they language it's clear they saw themselves as a revolutionary left-wing group, not "libertarian" in the sense Alpha Dwarf wishes to use it. As for the dubious link between radical left-wing revolutionaries and U.S. corporate liberal culture, that's another matter.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 06:28:29 pm »

Yeah, I don't think "libertarian" is a good word to describe the LCS in any way.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 04:51:27 pm »

You're also taking the game too seriously.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »

Both liberalism and conservativism are totally overblown to the point of hilarity in LCS. That's what I love about it. Equal opportunity hospital-burning.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 09:31:22 pm »

This person was banned for being a ridiculous thread-spamming mad-man, so I doubt it's particularly important.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now