Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding in more varied pets for civs?  (Read 1300 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Modding in more varied pets for civs?
« on: January 17, 2013, 04:37:49 pm »

The latest version(s) seems to have made it impossible to bring non standard pets with you on embark or trade for with your Civ.

I first noticed this after the removal of PET_EXOTIC stuff. Previously, if my Civ had arctic land I could sometimes get Polar Bears. Sometimes Saltwater Crocs if they were in saltwater marshes and so forth.

How can one go about modding it so you might get Bears, Cave Crocs, and stuff like that? I really miss Grizzy Bears and Polar Bears.

I was also curious what exactly makes pets docile or aggressive. I remember taming Crocs or Giant Frogs or something, but they would flee from aggressors. Is it simply making a pet able to be trained into Hunter or War pets? Any insight on this would be great.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:41:22 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in more varied pets for civs?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:58:06 pm »

You can give your entity
[USE_ANY_PET_RACE]
but then, you'll get a whole lot of options, maybe more than you want.  I'm interested to see if anyone has other info too :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Modding in more varied pets for civs?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 05:50:02 pm »

As smake mentioned USE_ANY_PET_RACE will enable your entities to use any creatures nearby to their areas. Alternatively you could go through the raws and change any PET_EXOTIC's to PET's and you would have similar access.

As for aggression, training an animal to be war or hunting is the easies way to make it aggressive, yes. The only other times animals will fight is if they feel they have been pushed into a corner and can't flee, they are counterattacking, or if there are a bunch of them all stuffed into a single tile (which is why the idea of "rabbit bombs" or similar where you stuff 400 rabbits into a single cage are actually somewhat effective).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.