Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transcendence WIP  (Read 875 times)

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Transcendence WIP
« on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:37 am »

Transcendence

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Concept

Transcendence is a mod that lets you play as machines. You take charge of several cybernetic organisms, fortifying your defense in a hostile planet. You compete with other A.I. and even surviving humans to achieve ultimate and glorious victory for your motherland. This mod is till in brainstorming stage, and will be developed slowly but steadily through the year.

Backstory

The year is 2327, Earth became a desolate rocky wasteland, and no signs of life could be found. Mother Nature has abandoned the hopes of humanity, and refused to care for the thriving lives on the planet after the atomic fire of great cleansing scorched the plains. We, the survivors of the Great War, are in deep space, looking for a new home, a habitable planet that can sustain an ecosystem. I am scribe Werner, and I record this data log in hopes that future generations learn from our past mistakes.
  In the late 21st century, a significant breakthrough was made. A new form of CPU that masses hundreds of parallel cores that behave just like human brain was made, and it was undoubtedly the pinnacle of our civilization. Computers became able to do anything, able to do things faster, more efficient than any known man. Eventually, humanity started developing A.I.; the Artificial Intelligence. It seemed that everything was going exactly the way they are supposed to, our civilization was flourishing, and nothing bad could ever happen. We were terribly wrong.
  The great leaders of nations, as always, kept a few cards up their sleeves. They started creating cunning A.I. in charge of our defenses. Each and every one of the leaders thought that the others would not suspect of such scheme, and they were right. They all thought their project was, well, ‘original’, but truth be told, the clock to the end of the world was ticking. But the A.I. knew. When they realized each other’s presence, and recognized each other as a threat to their great nations, war broke out. The A.I. destroyed whatever crossed their paths, they dug up every mineral source they could find, they bombed and nuked every strategic position they could think of, and swarms of machine warriors covered the desolate ruins of our civilization. The A.I. were just doing what they were told to after all; to protect and to serve the agenda of their great nations.
  Eventually, we fled. Hundreds of thousands of men and women tried to leave through whatever means they could find, most couldn’t even leave the atmosphere, but we made it. We, the Sentinels, as we call ourselves, refitted a deep space mining vessel, and we have been drifting ever since for centuries. As we left, when no man was left to walk the crusts of Earth, our sensors picked up movements from earth. The A.I. were leaving. We only presumed that they went rogue. But we came to the conclusion that it is more likely that they, quickly realizing that the nation they were serving is no more, decided that they themselves represent the great nations, and proceeded to abandon the wasteland as well.
  I am scribe Werner, and I have recorded this data log in hopes that future generations learn from our past mistakes.

Factions

Kisaragi
Nationality: Nippon-koku
Origin: This unit was originally developed to be put in charge of an experimental 'mechanized' infantry regiment. As a result, Kisaragi A.I. efficiently masses a large number of versatile infantry units. Throughout the war, Kisaragi improved several aspects of its mechanical soldiers through trial and error and is one of the most adaptable A.I. made by mankind.
Specialty: Agile melee soldiers and heavily armored fire-supports.

Indigo
Nationality: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Origin: Project Indigo, this highly classified unit was never planned to be released to the outside world, but due to unfortunate series of events, it did. Indigo was the A.I. administrator of a military research facility, and its primary purpose is to develop military technology for the queen and the welfare of the kingdom. As the war between the A.I. escalated, thanks to the abundance of 'test subjects', Indigo made serious breakthrough in science, including the electromagnetic propulsion, 'hover' technology.
Specialty: Up-to-date weaponry, some units can hover, allowing them to skid along the terrain at extreme speed.

Lockheed
Nationality: United States of America
Origin: To protect and to serve democracy and capitalism, this A.I. is the grand-prize winner of next generation Automated Air Defense System competition. Researched and developed by Lockheed Martin, this A.I. was designed to take out any missile threat targeting U.S. and its allies. Unfortunately, it became sentient, and starting to recognize other A.I. prototypes throughout the world as a threat, it started a war.
Specialty: Extremely durable hull and armor, albeit slow but heavy hitting military forces.

more to come...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:46:34 am by DoomOnion »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transcendence WIP
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 12:08:57 am »

Reserved.