Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Waves/Cavern Floods  (Read 696 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Magma Waves/Cavern Floods
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:19 am »

As it stands, the magma sea is a pretty tame thing if you build on top of it. For instance, if you don't want anything killing you, you can simply make walls and floors, and have only your forges' un-moveable spots go ontop of actual magma. It's relatively safe.

I remember in 2-D versions you could get floods. A magma sea being something like a volcano without the opening, I don't see why there aren't floods anymore. It would be really cool to have to deal with a way to stop a huge wave of magma travelling up your system and screwing everything. I wouldn't think a wave would do it though, I think that if for a whole year on rare occassions, the magma sea levels tried to go as far upward as possible. Apart from totally destroying people who aren't prepared. You could also use this to your advantage, by creating cisterns that get filled up with magma whenever a wave comes.

It'd also be interesting for caverns to do something similar. Heck it'd be cool if caverns had actual water flow underground. As they stand, it's just water sitting there. I find it only a hassle. If there were rivers, I think it'd make things really interesting.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Waves/Cavern Floods
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

You're not thinking big enough. Tectonic plates need to shift, volcanoes need to erupt, earth needs to quake, I want my dwarves to be struck down by lightning, blown away by tornadoes, hit by falling asteroids, buried in an avalanche.
Magma waves are a good idea too.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.